Why I haven't done anything for DVC yet... at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The Archives > The DV Challenge
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

The DV Challenge
An organized theme-based competition where Content is King!

Old August 7th, 2006, 09:51 PM   #1
Trustee

Why I haven't done anything for DVC yet...

OK, this will be my excuse for not doing anything for this DVC yet. We had a small club meeting showing of my latest short called "Cat Fight at OK and Corral" tonight. I just finished burning about a dozen DVDs last night. Did labels this afternoon, etc.

It's 7 1/2 minutes of the begining of a western type thing. This was my first real shoot with a full cast and crew working under me. It was great. It was another huge learning experience and an experiment in me letting go of some of the technical aspects of the shoot.

As you know I tend to do it all on my DVC shoots. Write, Produce, Direct, Shoot, Edit, Post, Sound, Compression, etc. I had a real crew this time. Surprisingly, they volunteered and seemed genuinly happy to help.

I will remark on two things people ask me about this piece; Yes, if I had an AD or a script supervisor on the set, or just one more body to take some of the other responsibilities off my hands, I would have been able to sit in front of a monitor with headphones on paying deep attention to all the details of the direction of the cast. Alas I did not have that one more person so I missed some things I will not let get by on the next one.

Second, I stopped the show where I did as it wasn't meant to be a full story arc. Much like serial movies of old, I intentionally planned to stop where I did. I am betting that after you see it, you will be thiking, in your own head you know what happened next. Sure you would like to see it on the screen. Well, I'm writing the sequel. We will have some real action sequences and some gun play in the next round. I'll be calling it "Loose Ends". I see this set up in chapters like "Kill Bill" was.

The link to the video on Google: http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...99451481438165

The link to my site talking more about this video: http://www.DeepBlueEdit.com

Anyway, take it or leave it. This is what I have been working on for the last few weeks. I am however done now so it's time to figure out what to do for DVC.

I have an idea...

Sean

http://www.DeepBlueEdit.com
Sean McHenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 7th, 2006, 11:05 PM   #2
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean McHenry
OK, this will be my excuse for not doing anything for this DVC yet. We had a small club meeting showing of my latest short called "Cat Fight at OK and Corral" tonight. (...)

It's 7 1/2 minutes of the beginning of a western type thing. This was my first real shoot with a full cast and crew working under me. It was great. It was another huge learning experience and an experiment in me letting go of some of the technical aspects of the shoot.
I really liked it alot! Letting out the Sergio Leone in you hum? ;) I think the really fun part will begin now, though, as you get to use all those heavily-cliché'd high-noon low-camera shots for the showdown. Who hasn't secretly wished to shoot a western?

Anyway, I don't feel such a loner now - I'm also only starting shooting today, after fighting with 1000 lousy depressive ideas during the weekend, and finally having an epiphany last night. After going through a dark period, it's all sunshine to me now.

Quote:

I have an idea...

Sean
Hey, didn't I saw a glimpse of THE SUN at you high-noon duel? ;) Too bad it's already public - you could always have reused the thing...

Just kidding. I guess.

Best,

Hugo
Hugo Pinto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 8th, 2006, 07:02 AM   #3
Trustee

Sean, I know the feeling. It's crunch time for me this time of year as we have our big international sales meeting. I'm chained to my workstation with a video camera superglued to my face.

One week is just not enough to get a crew and gear, etc. Fortunately it's not a paying gig, however, the wall of shame is laiden with bloody spikes and dangling flesh of many a rolaid chewer... hmmm, where was I? Oh, don't get all worked up, just sit back relax and have fun.

If you don't make it on time, I think a name change is only about $75 at the court house.
Old August 9th, 2006, 05:03 AM   #4
Regular Crew

Quote:
I would have been able to sit in front of a monitor with headphones on paying deep attention to all the details of the direction of the cast.
Personally i don't like Directors that sit there and order other people around to make there movie while they watch it on the monitor. Sadly thats hows its mostly done and yet they get all the credit for other peoples hard work while they sat there yelling out orders...

hehe Just my thoughts........
Phillip Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 10th, 2006, 08:28 AM   #5
Trustee

Philip, I agree, but somebody has to be paying bloody close attention to detail. That's where the Director gets time to evaluate the actors tone and characterisation of the part, look for continuity issues and framing problems, etc. All stuff I neede more time to actually concentrate on.

That's what I meant to say there. I agree, the old image of the director shouting at the cast through a megaphone is old. I want to be personal and interact with everyone on the set. I just need time to concentrate when the camera is rolling.

Sean

Old August 10th, 2006, 02:51 PM   #6
Regular Crew

You said your shooting it right? then theres ya monitor so you can fix your framing problems without need for lots of takes and ya right next to the actors so why need headphones (or use them if ya like) , and use the still picture to memory card for continuity notes (if ya camera does that)

How long is the camera usually running for when your shooting? i feel it would be too much hassle getting up and down from the monitor and having to move it around set it up , would just slow down the whole day.

Just my thoughts anyway, cause i've help out with people who do all that and when actors and crew aren't being paid, then while everything is being set up the actors walk off getting bored and the crew takes ages to set things up when everythings ready the director has to try find the actors and when the actors get back the crew has got bored, arhh its a mess

Sure if ya got the budget to pay everyone and have all the crew then i'd prolly take a monitor for some shots but prolly mostly use it for play back durring breaks.
Phillip Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 10th, 2006, 07:59 PM   #7
Trustee

Had a real cameraman on the short so nope, I wasn't looking through the viewfinder. That's the reason for the monitor. It's not unusual to have a separate monitor for the director. Headphones will block out the ambient and let you concentrate on what the mic actually picks up, which is really important after all. You as the director are totally responsible for what gets put on the screen so you really should be monitoring it all.

My comment is that if I am running around doing all the set dressing, taking care of the props, getting actors on their marks, explaining whats going on to drivers and everything plus directing, it gets a little distracting. Simple as that.

I just want to concentrate on what's going into the frame and on to tape.

On the DVChallenges, I am the whole crew, but for a 3 minute short, it's OK with me. Total control so it is all my fault if it falls apart there. I'm good with that.

Sean

Old August 10th, 2006, 08:26 PM   #8
Major Player

hahaha, total control. That's the reason mine is falling apart.
Michael Fossenkemper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 10th, 2006, 08:35 PM   #9
Trustee

Yeah, I find that true with mine sometimes too.

I have found, with the "Cat Fight..." piece, it isn't so hard to let someone else do some things, like camera and sound (but I still want to monitor it with a video monitor and heaphones). Get the right cast and crew and it will be OK.

Some guy sitting next to me at the showing Monday night asked me, after it played, if I liked it. I said yes I did. He asked if I thought I could have done better. I said sure. You can always do better. Then he said, and I have to believe he meant this in a positive constructive insightful critique sort of way, "Then maybe you should have done that". I think he was trying to say, if I would have thought I could have done better while I was doing it, I should have changed what I was doing and made it better to suit myself so I wouldn't have to say, yes, I think I can do better.

Either that or he was being a jerk. I give people enough rope to hang themselves before I pass judgment, normally.

Sean

Old August 10th, 2006, 09:30 PM   #10
Major Player

well, tell Dylan to give me some more rope. hahahaha. 3 more weeks of rope should do it.
Michael Fossenkemper is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The Archives > The DV Challenge