Rant On! - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The Archives > The DV Challenge

The DV Challenge
An organized theme-based competition where Content is King!

Old August 30th, 2006, 12:33 PM   #16
Inner Circle

Mike,

Before I forget, welcome to the forum. We are glad to have you here. One question, did you download all 30 of the films in the DV Challenge? I hope so, as there are some very good ones here.

Again----Welcome to DVinfo

Mike
Old August 30th, 2006, 12:33 PM   #17
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Teutsch
Obviously you ARE missing my point. You can beat free! And, it doesn't cost much!

Mike
LOL! :)
I get what you are saying, really I do. I understand that you do get what you pay for.

But just tell me this, why pass up 1 GB of storage for free? I don't need to pay a dime for anything else because I have all the storage space I need and it didn't cost me a dime. If I need more, I'll just open up another free account.

Now do you get what I am saying?

Mike
Old August 30th, 2006, 12:36 PM   #18
Major Player

Quote:
Mike,

Before I forget, welcome to the forum. We are glad to have you here. One question, did you download all 30 of the films in the DV Challenge? I hope so, as there are some very good ones here.

Again----Welcome to DVinfo

Mike
Thanks, I've watched about 8 of them (including yours). I didn't realize there was 30, WOW!
I also made some comments in the feedback forum earlier today.

Thanks,

Mike
Old August 30th, 2006, 12:41 PM   #19
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Horrigan
LOL! I get what you are saying, really I do. I understand that you do get what you pay for.

But just tell me this, why pass up 1 GB of storage for free? I don't need to pay a dime for anything else because I have all the storage space I need and it didn't cost me a dime. If I need more, I'll just open up another free account.

Now do you get what I am saying?

Mike
Sure, for the next Challenge borrow all of your equipment for free from whom ever you can find, and put up with the restictions that apply and turn in your movie. That will be free!!!!!!!!! :)

Good luck on the other 22 movies. Perhaps after you do try to download the other 22 you will understand what I am talking about. 8 vs 30, big difference! We have to see them all to vote, not to just enjoy a few!

Thanks---Mike
Old August 30th, 2006, 12:54 PM   #20
Major Player

Quote:
Sure, for the next Challenge borrow all of your equipment for free from whom ever you can find, and put up with the restictions that apply and turn in your movie. That will be free!!!!!!!!! :)
Hmmm... not a fair comparison at all. How about this, you keep paying for your webspace and I'll have mine for nothing, thanks.

I'll just agree to disagree at this point.

Quote:
Good luck on the other 22 movies. Perhaps after you do try to download the other 22 you will understand what I am talking about. 8 vs 30, big difference! We have to see them all to vote, not to just enjoy a few!
Actually, I do understand. The funny thing is, the streaming movies (google, youtube) load the fastest. ;)

Take care,

Mike
Old August 30th, 2006, 01:16 PM   #21
Inner Circle

It's a free country, well both of them I think? Do as you please, but my comments are still valid. Let's let others speak. This is not a debate between you and me.

Mike
Old August 30th, 2006, 01:26 PM   #22
Major Player

Quote:
It's a free country, well both of them I think? Do as you please, but my comments are still valid. Let's let others speak. This is not a debate between you and me.

Mike
I agree completely. There really is no reason why I wouldn't use what I'm using at the moment. If I want something a little more professional, I'll expect to pay for it.

Thanks, no hard feelings over here.

Mike
Old August 30th, 2006, 01:43 PM   #23
Trustee

Let's look on the positive end of this.

First, It's free advertising and exposure. (I personally would not post something I'd be embarrassed to show to the world).

Second, Youtube and other's do state that the rights are only in effect as long as the movie is posted. They need those rights because it keeps the lawyers happy and prevents you and me from suing them in case something happens. If youtube includes yours in a compilation, it's a compliment.

Finally, the poor video quality doesn't merit any worth in stealing. It's simply a quick means to view the content. If it leads to opportunity, than you can always provide something in higher quality.

Time to drink some more lemonade...
Peter Ferling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 30th, 2006, 02:28 PM   #24
Trustee

Everybody breathe a second.

Feel the cleansing breath when you breathe in through the mouth slowly. Feel the earth beneath your feet and find your center. Feet spaced hip width apart, the knees bent slightly and "soft". Place the tip of the tongue lightly on your upper palate. Your arms float upward with the inward breath and sink down beginning with the elbows on the exhale. Repeat as necessary. This is how we begin our Tai Chi lessons.

OK, now that you are all relaxed (or bored), I too have said repeatedly that there are problems with various formats. The largest problem for me being that one of my systems has an older version of Avid on it. I cannot update QT as the new codecs will crash the Avid system. If you want me to see these pieces while I am relaxed at home on my main machine you should consider NOT using the latest QT HD formats. Frankly it's a little absurd to use an HD format on a picture size of 320x240. Granted it will scale up better but I can't watch it so which would you rather have for judging, really clean small videos or videos some of us can't see?

I had troubles with only one this DVChallenge but I used my laptop for a large portion of them this round and luckily, it has the latest of every codec loaded. Not so for everyone here however. My compromise is to use Google as it transcodes to Flash 8. Flash loads without intervention on the most common browsers and can load a film very quickly. Furthermore, I don't have to store my video someplace, it looks decent and plays well with embed codes so I can add it to my web site easily for my web viewers (all 6 of them)

Google also has minor statistics available as well. I can tell you how many times each of the 5 videos I have there played last week or last month. Cat Fight at OK and Corral has played a total of 3469 times since Aug 7th. (not bad.)

If you want to host your own, I'm cool with that. I have also made sure I make windows media (not HD MWV9) files available for download at least for Dylan and the other initial judging folks.

I have no real answers but I think I have a decent compromise. Google doesn't seem to want exclusive rights to my first born son and all that so I think they are cool.

I'll go with anything deemed "official" so wherever this ends up, I'm good.

Sean

http://www.DeepBlueEdit.com
Sean McHenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 30th, 2006, 03:48 PM   #25
Major Player

I'm confused as to why some of you had problems downloading files. If say a movie like mine is set in a browser window, all you have to do is click on the little arrow on the right of the play bar and save as source or save as quicktime. Bang it's saved. I think I only had a problem with 1 short and that was finding the link to download it. I think it took me 3 attempts to find it.

Another thing wrong with myspace is you have to register to watch a video. Anytime I come across a video that I have to register to watch, I skip it.

Putfile is really good, but 25 meg limit. But it doesn't recompress your video like google or youtube.

Still. I'm paying $3 a month for unlimited storage, unlimited email accounts, Unlimited file size , webhosting, shopping carts and a bandwidth of 60 gigs a month blah blah blah. that's one freakin cup of coffee at starbucks. Or you can look at it as 1 minidv tape.
Michael Fossenkemper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 30th, 2006, 04:04 PM   #26
Major Player

Michael, that's only possible if the embedded film is a Quicktime file, and then only if you have QT Pro (I think. Maybe it's changed, but I remember not being able to click those menu options the last time I had a standard Quicktime installation). Not a problem for me, as I've got a copy, but not everyone has. And Windows Media files have no such menu.
Robert Martens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 30th, 2006, 04:14 PM   #27
Major Player

Robert,
hmmm, you may be right. I've had quicktime pro for about 10 years, well maybe not 10, so I can't remember that far back. I also have flip for mac that runs all of the WMV videos in quicktime so it has the save options too. Basically for $29 for quicktime pro, it'll solve almost everyone's video problems. Ahh, and I just bought a new WMV component for quicktime that allows me to export WMV videos too.
Old August 30th, 2006, 04:23 PM   #28
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean McHenry
Everybody breathe a second.

The largest problem for me being that one of my systems has an older version of Avid on it. I cannot update QT as the new codecs will crash the Avid system.
Sean
Funny about the first part!

Second part, as it has been noted before, QT 7 or whatever the latest version is, does not play well with Premiere Pro either. I, and others, have had to uninstall it because of problems, so why use it. One vote can mean a win.

This should not be, and was not intended to be a vote or criticizim of any system or codec, it is about seeing your movie, and some ways are better or easier than others.

It's your choice, easy or hard? Some things are better hard, but most are better easy!

Mike
Old August 30th, 2006, 04:31 PM   #29
Major Player

but I still have all of these options in quicktime 6. 7 allows for H264. But I don't use it mainly because of problems like you guys have mentioned. This has nothing to do with saving a file though.
Old August 30th, 2006, 04:38 PM   #30
Major Player

I'm just jumping in here cause I really want to find the best and most compatible way to deliver a video for viewing as well as keeping it as simple as possible. I actually enjoy it when a video is set in a web browser. It starts playing fairly immediately so I don't have to wait for it to download. maybe that's not how everyone else likes it though.
Michael Fossenkemper is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The Archives > The DV Challenge