DVC7 - how's it going? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The Archives > The DV Challenge

The DV Challenge
An organized theme-based competition where Content is King!

Old December 15th, 2006, 11:01 AM   #1
Trustee

DVC7 - how's it going?

So I thought I could drag some of the chatter about how folks are doing over here to this thread.

So, how's it going?

I have yet to shoot a frame (or field) of video. Doing a voice over with a celebrity sound a-like tonight then shooting after 6pm Saturday...plenty of time. You folks that have your's in the can, or mostly done better have some really good stuff since you have been working on it so long.

Best of luck to you all.

Found another darker theme for this years Christmas issue of DVC. Looking forward to hearing everyones responses to it when we get them posted.

Sean McHenry

http://www.DeepBlueEdit.com
Sean McHenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 15th, 2006, 11:05 AM   #2
Inner Circle

Shot last night and did a rough cut. Actually using this as an opportunity to try out my self built 35mm adapter, so it will be interesting to see what people think.
Old December 15th, 2006, 12:10 PM   #3
Major Player

well i'm trying to tackle it scene by scene. Looks like big chunks are hittin' the floor because of time issues, like too long time issues.
Michael Fossenkemper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 15th, 2006, 12:12 PM   #4
Major Player

Mine won't be all that impressive visually. I shot it myself, all done with natural lighting on an old camcorder that records to mini DVD's.

The quality is so-so.

I'm hoping that the story will draw most of the attention.

I'm just about completely finished the entire project.

Mike
Old December 15th, 2006, 12:16 PM   #5
Major Player

Well, I've got the script/shotlist finished up and planning on shooting this Saturday night. I just wish I had more time saturday to devote. I'll just have to stay up as long as it takes. :-)

The cutting shouldn't be too bad though. I think I'll be able to get that done sunday morning easy.
Lisa Shofner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 15th, 2006, 12:36 PM   #6
Major Player

I got the students in my lighting and set design classes (classes that I'm taking, not teaching :) to help "crew" a shoot last night.

While I may have a lame story premise, I expect my production quality to be impressive thanks to the very hard work of all of these folks. Due to the work of the people in these classes, I expect to win the "most impressive prop" award (if only there was one...).

Lucky me. :)

Bill
William Gardner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 15th, 2006, 06:46 PM   #7
Trustee

Hey I don't feel as bad now.....I have a script done, set is waiting and batteries are on charge.....By 3 or 4 tomorrow I hope It will be shot....Sat night/Sun for editing.......Bags of time, hhhmmmm!

Ah well, its all good fun huh!

Mat
Mat Thompson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 16th, 2006, 12:10 AM   #8
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by William Gardner
I got the students in my lighting and set design classes (classes that I'm taking, not teaching :) to help "crew" a shoot last night.

While I may have a lame story premise, I expect my production quality to be impressive thanks to the very hard work of all of these folks. Due to the work of the people in these classes, I expect to win the "most impressive prop" award (if only there was one...).

Lucky me. :)

Bill
Hey Bill- I seem to recall you had students helping you in DVC #5 too. Very cool indeed!

Tell you what- I have an extra copy of one of Meryem's favorite films on DVD called "Genghis Blues". It is brand new and if Dylan is willing, will donate it for this award: "Most Impressive Prop-DVC#7"

Sound like a deal?

Best wishes~
Bradley
Bradley L Marlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 16th, 2006, 02:33 AM   #9
Trustee

Shot mine Wednesday afternoon with Rode StereoVideoMic on top of the camcorder. Fur from the DeadCat showed in every take (couldn't see it on the LCD due to the bright daylight, new camcorder and mic without much testing...), so I reshot Thursday with the mic on a separate stand, did the rough cut last night.

Had an eye appt today (Friday, just realized it's sat morn) and with eyes dilated couldn't work on anything visual until evening.

I just purchased Quicktime Pro because Dylan suggested QuickTime format for submission but am I ever disappointed in what converting to MOV in a small size does. Lightens image tones too much, compression artifacts BAD (I probably don't know how to use QT 7 Pro but am running out of learning time!)

MPEG4 from Pinnacle Studio to a small size file (10MB) looks almost as good as a full size AVI so that may have to be the way I submit.

I had a ball doing it, my 17 yr old grandson ran the camera as I was in front of it most of the time and he had a small acting part he enjoyed. I gave him general guidance on what I wanted the camera to see and turned him loose.

I was very pleasantly surprised at how well he applied visual sense.

It's fun to be part of this. I've looked at what you folks have done on the past couple of challenges and there is some neat stuff from very talented folks there.
Bruce Foreman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 16th, 2006, 07:19 AM   #10
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bradley L Marlow
Hey Bill- I seem to recall you had students helping you in DVC #5 too. Very cool indeed!
Hi Bradley,

Nope, DVC5 and DVC6 were homegrown efforts. No students involved. :)

I decided to take Staging (really set and prop design) and Lighting classes this Fall, and this week we happened to be shooting our final projects and testing out our final "big" prop. So, given that I couldn't shoot last weekend and couldn't find much cast and crew, I decided to work this final project into my DVC7 entry. You'll understand when you see it...

Bill
William Gardner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 16th, 2006, 07:25 AM   #11
Wrangler

Bill! Dang, I thought you wouldn't be able to do a DVC this month, which is exactly why I voted for December even though I didn't have time for it either!
;-)

Guess I better get started.

Looking forward to seeing more of your work, as well as all the other entries.
Pete Bauer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 16th, 2006, 08:04 AM   #12
Major Player

I'm starting filming right now. I've just bought some props from walmart (keeping receipts, is that fair?). This is gonna be awesome!!!

Good luck to all. I'll be back tonight to say how shooting went.
Brent Graham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 16th, 2006, 08:45 AM   #13
Major Player

I thought I was almost done until I showed it to one of the actors yesterday who said, "Do you want feedback?" And since it was Friday and not Sunday afternoon I said yes. So I'm fussing and tweaking and mixing now, but at least it's all down to me and the laptop.
Kris Holodak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 16th, 2006, 11:47 AM   #14
Wrangler

i wonder if marshmallows are original enough to win "most impressive prop." i'm still sick, yesterday my best friend arrived in town to have lasik surgery, and i've been phlegm-ily driving her around to various surgical appointments and follow-ups.

but i think i have an idea that i can shoot in my backyard, and one idea that may take place entirely in the bathroom. hoping i can put one or the other of these together today.

no time, no crew, no cast (best friend is uselessly lying around watching her eyes heal), no health. i can hardly wait to see what i come up with.....i have never felt so perilously close to the wall of shame before....i can feel its hot, fetid breath on my neck....or wait, maybe that's just another flu-induced hallucination....
Meryem Ersoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 16th, 2006, 12:01 PM   #15
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meryem Ersoz
...my best friend arrived in town to have lasik surgery... best friend is uselessly lying around watching her eyes heal....
Hmmm. A best friend lying around, unable to see after lasik surgery, nothing to visualize except past memories... Sounds like you've got your movie right there!

Bill
William Gardner is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The Archives > The DV Challenge