Challenges for honour and glory? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The Archives > The DV Challenge
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

The DV Challenge
An organized theme-based competition where Content is King!

Old December 31st, 2006, 01:07 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Challenges for honour and glory?

Ok so I love that Dylan does this great job organizing these challenges and gets us some amazing prizes, but I hate the waiting for a new one.

Would anyone be interested in doing some challenges that were just for honour and glory, or just plain bragging rights? A challenge where maybe we take turns chosing a theme. Some sort of random number generator or something.

Something to keep us going and getting better while we wait for Dylan to craft a new challenge. Let me know what you think.
Alex T. Hurter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 31st, 2006, 01:37 PM   #2
Major Player

Without stepping on Dylan's toes. I like the idea. Might take one person to organize it though, it looks like these things don't just handle themselves.

But honor, glory, and growth is not a bad prize.

Do we want to do themed, like this one, or do that whole 'genre,prop,line' deal that I've seen?

Heck, we could play with different time lengths (30sec./3min/5min/etc.), different themes (like dvc), different number of characters (only 1/3/etc.), different required shots (i.e. extreme close-up...etc.), different locations (i.e. everyone has to have a scene that takes place in a church...etc.)

Not all of these requirements all at once of course, but each time choose some random requirement so that everyone's film has some random consistency beyond theme.

Just a thought...sounded like fun as I typed it.

I'm game if it gets me making fun films and seeing fun films.
Brent Graham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 31st, 2006, 01:51 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent Graham
Do we want to do themed, like this one, or do that whole 'genre,prop,line' deal that I've seen?

Heck, we could play with different time lengths (30sec./3min/5min/etc.), different themes (like dvc), different number of characters (only 1/3/etc.), different required shots (i.e. extreme close-up...etc.), different locations (i.e. everyone has to have a scene that takes place in a church...etc.)

Not all of these requirements all at once of course, but each time choose some random requirement so that everyone's film has some random consistency beyond theme.
I like those ideas. They sound like a lot of fun.

I really hope Dylan doesn't take this as me trying to step on his toes.
Old January 1st, 2007, 08:01 AM   #4
Major Player

If it is just for fun... why not?

As long as Dylan is up for it... I'm in! The more practice the better for me...
Old January 1st, 2007, 10:36 AM   #5
Wrangler

Have you guys missed Meryem's UWOL Challenge??
Go sign up, it starts right away!

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Old January 1st, 2007, 10:40 AM   #6
Wrangler

nooo guys, don't do it! make more work for dylan instead!!

sorry, dylan, i couldn't resist. the UWOL thingie is making me appreciate more than ever how much thought and effort you put into running the DVC.

yer fan fer life--!
Meryem Ersoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 1st, 2007, 10:50 AM   #7
Wrangler

LOL!
Meryem, it starts today at noon, right?
Old January 1st, 2007, 02:26 PM   #8
Major Player

Holy Moly, didn't even see this. hahaha. oh well, maybe next one.
Michael Fossenkemper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 1st, 2007, 06:16 PM   #9
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dylan Couper
Have you guys missed Meryem's UWOL Challenge??
Go sign up, it starts right away!

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/forumdisplay.php?f=144
I ended up seeing it after I made this post. Looks like a fun one.
Old January 1st, 2007, 07:59 PM   #10
Regular Crew

great idea

Hey,

Challenges more often sound like fun! I'm totally up for it! The required elements sound awesome too! I've heard of challenges that use that idea...a certain location, sentence, prop, etc. and I've always wanted to do one, but haven't been able to before.

Jamey*
Jamey Hastings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 3rd, 2007, 07:46 AM   #11
Major Player

So... who's doing this and when? :)

I missed out on Meryem's.

Mike

EDIT: My one suggestion is that we add more than one element to make it more challenging. Maybe a theme and a phrase, or common object.
Old January 3rd, 2007, 08:06 AM   #12
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Horrigan
So... who's doing this and when? :)

I missed out on Meryem's.

Mike

EDIT: My one suggestion is that we add more than one element to make it more challenging. Maybe a theme and a phrase, or common object.

Depends how many people want to do it and if it's ok to organize it on the DVC forum.
Old January 3rd, 2007, 09:17 AM   #13
Wrangler

when we were first getting started with video, a bunch of my friends and i did a DV Challenge-esque thing where we got together and committed to making six short films in six months, and each month we tried to incorporate learning something new into each piece. no competition, no prizes--we all learned a ton.

just a thought. if you want to do something like that but online, i'm sure it would not be a problem. the main thing you need is a sucker, i mean organizer, who stays committed, (even if it appears that no one else is....) or it will evaporate fast.

that's just my unsolicited advice, from having done something similar....
Meryem Ersoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 3rd, 2007, 09:21 AM   #14
Inner Circle

How About Keeping It Unofficial?

I’m pretty sure we don’t need another “Official” contest. We will probably be having a dozen or more a year now, with the new UWOL contest. With one open subject contest and one themed on outdoor or nature, that covers us pretty well. Have you entered one of these yet?

I know you guys are anxious get into one of these, young and enthusiastic is great! All but one of you is very new to the site, nothing wrong with that, but you might fail to understand how difficult it is to run or manage one of these contests. Just ask Dylan right now, and in a few weeks ask Meryem!!!! Getting sponsorship, or donations, for another contest would also be very difficult.

If you want to have a contest you can always have an unofficial one. Maybe you could run it under the “Show Your Work” thread. Just post a topic and a deadline, and have anyone who wants to, post a video in that thread! That would be simple enough, and then you guys can vote the winner. Set your own rules in the first post and make a deadline for posting!

Should be fun and I think that Chris would not have a problem with it. I Think!!!

In the mean time, get ready for the next regular contest. Personally, I would like to see the current “Contests” open to late entries. About the only reason to limit the time is so we can put those who signed up and do not post on the wall-of-shame. And, the “Wall” never got put up in the first place!

I really liked that Dylan posted the theme this time and you could still enter afterward. We still ended up with about the same completed entries.

Oh well, just my $0.10, inflation you know! :)

Have fun!

Mike
Old January 3rd, 2007, 09:49 AM   #15
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Teutsch
I’m pretty sure we don’t need another “Official” contest. We will probably be having a dozen or more a year now, with the new UWOL contest. With one open subject contest and one themed on outdoor or nature, that covers us pretty well. Have you entered one of these yet?

I know you guys are anxious get into one of these, young and enthusiastic is great! All but one of you is very new to the site, nothing wrong with that, but you might fail to understand how difficult it is to run or manage one of these contests. Just ask Dylan right now, and in a few weeks ask Meryem!!!! Getting sponsorship, or donations, for another contest would also be very difficult.

If you want to have a contest you can always have an unofficial one. Maybe you could run it under the “Show Your Work” thread. Just post a topic and a deadline, and have anyone who wants to, post a video in that thread! That would be simple enough, and then you guys can vote the winner. Set your own rules in the first post and make a deadline for posting!

Should be fun and I think that Chris would not have a problem with it. I Think!!!

In the mean time, get ready for the next regular contest. Personally, I would like to see the current “Contests” open to late entries. About the only reason to limit the time is so we can put those who signed up and do not post on the wall-of-shame. And, the “Wall” never got put up in the first place!

I really liked that Dylan posted the theme this time and you could still enter afterward. We still ended up with about the same completed entries.

Oh well, just my $0.10, inflation you know! :)

Have fun!

Mike
Mike that was the original idea, sort of like practice sessions for the DVC and UWOL. Something to do to keep people going. I had no intention of suggesting another official contest. I can guess how much work it is, and I'm probably not even close.

Yep I entered "Intersection" for DVC7, and I'm figuring out what to do for UWOL1 right now.

That being said I think that doing this in the show your work forum is a good idea. Again I'm not trying to step on anyone's toes. I just know sometimes you need that extra kick in the butt to make a film, and having a deadline for a challenge (even if the only prize is bragging rights) is a good kicking device.
Alex T. Hurter is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The Archives > The DV Challenge