DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   The DV Challenge (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/dv-challenge/)
-   -   Who's got their idea? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/dv-challenge/100560-whos-got-their-idea.html)

Chris Ruiz August 4th, 2007 01:56 PM

Who's got their idea?

After looking at my crutch (being out of town the weekend the film is due), I've comprised an idea that'll let me shoot tomorrow, edit during the week, and post before next weekend.

How we all looking?

Pete Bauer August 4th, 2007 08:13 PM

If I had any ideas, I'd deny that I did.

Michael Wisniewski August 4th, 2007 09:23 PM

If you post any ideas, I'll probably steal them!

Jeff Hendricks August 4th, 2007 11:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Michael Wisniewski (Post 723609)
If you post any ideas, I'll probably steal them!

two guys walking down the street...one guy has a chocolate bar the other a jar of peanut butter...the two meet and.................

Dylan Couper August 5th, 2007 09:22 AM

Hah, not only do I have my idea...
I have a script
3 locations
2 out of 4 roles cast
And should have make up and a boom op by tonight.

:)

Daniel Kohl August 5th, 2007 11:09 AM

why do I have the feeling that Dylan has an unfair advantage?

(and he's not even ashamed to boast about how far he already is!) :')

Jonathan Jones August 5th, 2007 01:07 PM

The evening the theme was released, our SlipShodShort crew gathered for dinner and drinks in hopes of a good brainstorm session. We had been thinking of the theme most of the day (since it had been posted) and after a couple of hours, the evening mostly became an exercise in drinking. (Margaritas, Yuengling Black & Tan, and Shiner Bock all evening) But we were completely devoid of any workable ideas, so there were also a few kindly curses thrown in the general direction of Dylan Couper.

Eventually, we came up with a basic concept that we decided to sleep on.

The next morning, we checked in and although none of us were very thrilled about the concept, we couldn't think of anything else, so we went with it.

We are hoping that this is a good sign. In previous DVC entries, we were pretty jazzed about the concept, and the more we worked with them, the more complicated they became, eventually causing the technical execution of them to be difficult to balance. They ended up pretty faulted in one way or another.

The fact that we aren't too jazzed about this particular storyline allows us to put a little more thought in making it a tight, concise, and more technically adept exercise in filmmaking...we hope.

Last night, we gathered to do a storyboard and script session. Our last entry (DVC #3 included around 81 seperate shots - I seem to remember) For this current script, it looks like we will have significantly less than half of that, and virtually no character dialogue, other than a quasi-narrative voice-over.

The plot does have a bit of twist though, and we are still trying to flesh it out before shooting to see if it will be appropriately conveyed to the viewer.

That's where we are right now, so I guess we'll know more in a few days.

-Jon

Chris Ruiz August 5th, 2007 01:20 PM

I got the perfect simple idea... but don't know if I have the man-power on this short of notice to pull it off.

Pete Bauer August 5th, 2007 01:25 PM

So far as anyone has ever been able to tell, "shame" is a word not in Dylan's vocabulary. In fact, maybe that word should be the next theme, as we could be sure that Dylan would be paralyzed by confusion over what to do with that imaginary concept.

Lorinda Norton August 5th, 2007 01:35 PM

Idea...

Medicine Park, Oklahoma. Music Hall Restaurant, terrace overlooking the creek, locusts buzzing, hottest d**n day of the year, blessed little breeze every few minutes.

The DVC Diva is seated, orders a Shiner Bock and hot wings. She takes a few sips while noticing the huge spider web that spans between two wrought iron chairs. Minutes later a man in his early 50’s is seated at the next table. He peruses the menu then asks the server, “Is this Shiner Bock an imported beer?” She’s not entirely sure what he means by “imported,” then says, “It comes out of Texas.” The man glances at the Diva, who tips her beer at him and softly says, “It’s good.”

“I’ll try the Shiner Bock,” he says…

;)

Dylan Couper August 5th, 2007 03:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pete Bauer (Post 723868)
So far as anyone has ever been able to tell, "shame" is a word not in Dylan's vocabulary. In fact, maybe that word should be the next theme, as we could be sure that Dylan would be paralyzed by confusion over what to do with that imaginary concept.

LOL!

Hey wait a second....

That's pretty good! remind me around the start of DVC10, would you?

And for those of you who hate me.... I understand. :)
I actually hated the theme all Thursday night, and wanted to kick myself for picking it. Then I got inspired Friday morning, and am back on track.

Robert Martens August 5th, 2007 03:28 PM

I got an idea for a change; Thursday night I had two separate ideas that I wasn't crazy about. Around midnight my oldest cat died, so Friday was kind of a wash (I'm devastated, and only votes for my entry will cheer me up!), but Saturday I came up with some more details that made the idea better, and I stayed up 'til five AM last night/this morning writing my page and a half long script. I'm quite pleased with it.

It's not fancy, no effects, it's appropriate for the time limit, doesn't include any locations, characters, equipment, or props I don't already have access to, and it's something I'd be proud to show people. Something I won't be ashamed to stick on YouTube, matter of fact.

I think I might actually get this sucker done. The only potential sticking point, really, is the size of the room. If I can fit the tripod inside, along with all my 'set dressing', I'm in business. Now, if you'll excuse me, I have some storyboards to sketch. Good day.

Ronn Kilby August 5th, 2007 04:10 PM

Yep. Good'n too.

Daniel Kohl August 6th, 2007 02:28 AM

I would actually be interested to know how Dylan comes up with the themes.

If he is using one of those big black eight-balls with a tiny window in the bottom; we should be able to figure out what the next DVC theme will be, by reduction.

Or maybe he throws darts at a dictionary he opens while blindfolded, after drinking a lot of (what is that beer you all keep mentioning) ... Shiner Bock ... (are they sponsors?)). And is it plausible that Canadians would import beer from Texas?

Meeting translated into German is Treffen, which has a little more latitude in how it is used here. I figured I would use the language bonus for inspiration ... it's helping a little ... but it looks like I've settled on an idea which retrospectively looks like it's a cross between Shakespeare's "a midsummer nights dream" and something I must have seen in a MAD Magazine.

Story board is done, and based on that I have convinced someone to play the main roll. Locations are set ... I've just got to get the damn props made in time.

Dick Mays August 6th, 2007 08:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Robert Martens (Post 723924)
IAround midnight my oldest cat died, so Friday was kind of a wash (I'm devastated, and only votes for my entry will cheer me up!),

Robert,

Nice sympathy play. All is fair.

Years ago, I had to put my cat to sleep at the vet, he was 15, and kidneys were failing and he had been on IVs for a month. Sort of surprised me how emotional it was. That cat was the only thing that ever liked my guitar playing.

My entry is in the can, cut and edited. Only thing left is adding a little music. In memory of Joey, maybe I'll get out that guitar and see what I can do with it.

Dick

Dylan Couper August 6th, 2007 08:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Daniel Kohl (Post 724107)
I would actually be interested to know how Dylan comes up with the themes.

So would I!

Kris Holodak August 6th, 2007 04:22 PM

I actually drove all the way up to my brother's house fleshing out an idea in my head. But as soon as I sat around the table with the kids they had an idea completely worked out already. It only took a little tweaking by me to make it fit the theme.

In two days of shooting we only had two noticeable setbacks - the boat engine died in the middle of the lake, and the five year old wouldn't say her line. But we perservered and the rough cuts are looking pretty good.

Have fun everyone.
Smile
Kris

Lisa Shofner August 6th, 2007 09:02 PM

I've got a couple doable ideas..but my team is getting flaky on me. If only we could do stop-motion! :-(

Greg Boston August 6th, 2007 10:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lorinda Norton (Post 723877)
The DVC Diva is seated, orders a Shiner Bock and hot wings.

Ahhhh, my two favorite things... well, in the top three anyway. ;-)

-gb-

Lorinda Norton August 7th, 2007 12:57 AM

Yep, I learned about this perfect combination from you and Chris a while back. There's more to DV Info than just video. :)

Jesse Steele August 8th, 2007 04:20 PM

Meeting? MeAting!!!!

I was thinking of just having a guy smacking people in the face with a steak?

Should work pretty well......

Stacy Dudley August 11th, 2007 02:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jesse Steele (Post 725701)
I was thinking of just having a guy smacking people in the face with a steak?

Should work pretty well......

I think the theme is "meeting".... not "meating"! :)

It sounds like a good idea anyway (wish I had thought of it first)!

Stacy