DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   The DV Challenge (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/dv-challenge/)
-   -   How's everyone doing? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/dv-challenge/100879-hows-everyone-doing.html)

Bruce Foreman August 10th, 2007 11:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kevin Randolph (Post 726947)

Anybody have any idea how open grocery stores are to letting you film inside?

At least one allowed it. Google for "Chad Vader Day Manager". 5 short episodes and the series got mentioned in Videomaker magazine.

Chad is Darth Vader's inept brother. Starts out as the day manager in a large grocery store. Looks pretty good and is quite funny. Very well done.

Bruce Foreman August 10th, 2007 11:24 PM

Well, folks.

Like some of you posting crew letting you down...Looks like I've been jinxed from the start.

Had a fun idea and some great visuals in mind for a sad tale of unfulfulled love through the ages. Starting out in Medieval time, they cannot be together because of duty and obligations.

They almost cross paths in about the 1870's, and finally meet again in the present. With a twist.

A friend lined up some SCA folks who actually had most costumes needed and supposedly liked the idea.

No dice.

Plan B: Simpler idea, could not interest anyone in acting.

Plan C: Grandson and one of his friends helped me lay out a story that looked good, planned on shooting tomorrow but he got his work schedule mixed up and that fell through.

Plan D: I step in front of the camera myself. Story idea is there but kinda thin. However am somewhat determined to NOT hang on the wall again.

It's very frustrating. I live in an area where there is really very little interest in this sort of thing. Wife calls it the "cowtown syndrome" and she may be right. I think I'll run some ads in the local paper and see if there is any interest in forming an "Independent Video" club.

As always, I look forward to seeing what the rest of you come up with.

Stacy Dudley August 11th, 2007 02:34 AM

Mine is finished. Now I have two more competitions to finish! :)

Stacy

Fredrik-Larsson August 11th, 2007 03:55 AM

Looks like I will end up on the wall of shame. I have been working a lot and still have a lot of work to do so there is little of free time left. That's life when you run your own business sometimes. But I will be back for DVC10. :)

Ken Wozniak August 11th, 2007 07:59 AM

I'll be on the wall of shame, too. I kept checking the wrong thread for the theme (I'm such a dork). Just today I saw the "DVC 9 Theme ---- "Meeting"" thread. That still leaves me one whole day to write, shoot, edit, and post. Yeah...right.
To look at the bright side, I can only do better next time.

Michael Wisniewski August 11th, 2007 09:40 AM

Ugh Wall of Shame for me too. Rats.

Bob Thieda August 11th, 2007 12:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bruce Foreman (Post 727185)
At least one allowed it. Google for "Chad Vader Day Manager". 5 short episodes and the series got mentioned in Videomaker magazine.

Chad is Darth Vader's inept brother. Starts out as the day manager in a large grocery store. Looks pretty good and is quite funny. Very well done.

Just watched the first two episodes....nicely done!
There appears to be 8 episodes now...found them at:

http://www.splu.net/chadvader.htm#ep1

Bob T.

Mike Horrigan August 11th, 2007 02:01 PM

I've seen most of those episodes myself. :)

Well, I may stay off the wall!

I went out and shot some footage today.
It may not amount to much but it might be enough to keep me off the wall of shame.

We'll see.

Mike

Dick Mays August 11th, 2007 03:35 PM

youtube

What's the best format for youtube?

Do we have a youtube channel for all our DVC9 entries?

Stacy Dudley August 11th, 2007 06:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dick Mays (Post 727395)
What's the best format for youtube?

I'd like to know that myself. My youtube posts always turn out looking like crap. I usually output them as .wmv or .mpg but the quality looks horrible by the time I get the file size small enough to upload them. When I use Quicktime the audio sounds like it's under water (some kind of funky flange or something).

Quote:

Do we have a youtube channel for all our DVC9 entries?
I don't recall anything about a group being set up on youtube for this contest, and when I posted mine I looked in the communities section and did not see a DVchallenge contest group.

Stacy

Dylan Couper August 11th, 2007 09:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stacy Dudley (Post 727462)
I'd like to know that myself. My youtube posts always turn out looking like crap. I usually output them as .wmv or .mpg but the quality looks horrible by the time I get the file size small enough to upload them. When I use Quicktime the audio sounds like it's under water (some kind of funky flange or something).

I get crappy audio from Quicktime sometimes as well.

Youtube has a 100mb file size limit, that should be plenty for a 3 minute DVC entry.

Robert Martens August 11th, 2007 10:20 PM

Moviemaking ProTip: Don't shoot a movie in your own bedroom at the end of the day. Finally get all my stuff ready to go, it's ten PM, finish shooting at eleven thirty, I'm too tired to clean up all this crap. It's on my desk, on my bed, everywhere.

Maybe I'll sleep on the floor.

As far as YouTube is concerned, Douglas Spotted Eagle has some advice in this thread from the Vegas forum: http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthrea...77493&p=724504

Justin Tomchuk August 12th, 2007 08:15 AM

I'm pretty sure youtube compresses the uploaded video even further leaving not much options for how your video will turn out. I would suggest not uploading your entries to youtube, but to Dailymotion, Reever and even Break. The quality of your video will be much much better on these sites.

Also, upload your entries to exposure.cbc.ca, if of course you don't mind the possibility of your entry being broadcasted nation wide in Canada.

Dylan Couper August 12th, 2007 09:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Justin Tomchuk (Post 727611)
I would suggest not uploading your entries to youtube,.

Just to make sure...

Did you read the thread where I said everyone must upload a Youtube version?

Justin Tomchuk August 12th, 2007 06:58 PM

Sorry I didn't read that. What I meant is, if it's part of the rules of course uploading to youtube is a must but also upload to the sites I suggested which offer better recompression if hosting is a problem.