And the winner and new DVC Champion is.... at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The Archives > The DV Challenge

The DV Challenge
An organized theme-based competition where Content is King!

Old August 27th, 2007, 09:44 AM   #1
Wrangler

And the winner and new DVC Champion is....

Ladies and Gentlemen, it's once again been my pleasure to run The DV Challenge. This theme turned up some interesting films with a wide variety of interpretations. From a message in a bottle, to a barnyard of talking animals, to online dating, they have been great!

And now it's all wrapped up. The votes are in. The winner is chosen. Our prize package provided by our sponsor Guy Cochran at www.dvestore.com is sitting ready to go to a new home. Thanks Guy, we really appreciate you and dvestore.com backing us up since the beginning. It sure makes it more fun when there's something to battle for!

Thanks to Chris Hurd and the rest of DVinfo.net for being the best damn video forum on the internet.

And of course, thanks to everyone who submitted a film. They were all fun to watch, and it was a pleasure being a judge.
In my mind, you are all winners simply for the fact that you got up and did it. Making a short film isn't easy, which is why we call this a challenge. Of course, there can be only one... So...

Honorable Mentions
I usually post the names of the films that scored a significant amount of votes, even though they weren't in the top three. These are usually films that got 3 or 4 votes, regardless of the total points. While almost all films score at least a vote or two, getting four is significant enough to warrent a nod, so in no particular order, congrats to:

Jesse Steele “In Person”
Bryan Wilkat "Victorious"
Dick Mays “Feng Shui”
Kevin Randolph ”Meating Melody"

You guys did well, and could have been contenders.. could have been somebodies... Like these next guys!

DVC9 RUNNERS UP
Second runner up
Jon Jones “Hindsight"

Nice work Jon, you were barely a vote behind...

First runner up
Ronn Kilby “Brian Takes A Meeting”

Great short Ronn, you were only a few votes behind.

And now...

What you've all been waiting for...

THE WINNER OF DV CHALLENGE #9 IS....

Mitchell Stookey “Meet Me”

Nice work Mitchell! Good use of the theme, interesting twist at the end and great cinematography add up, and the voters agreed!
Congradulations!
Email me your address and I'll get dvestore.com to get your prize on the way!

And that ladies and gentlemen, is a wrap. Look for DVC10 to happen late October.

Cheers!
Old August 27th, 2007, 09:56 AM   #2
Wrangler

MITCHELL!!!! Congratulations, young man!!! I’m soooo happy for you. :)

Looks like moving to Vancouver and exercising your dramatic storytelling muscles was a very good move. I’m so glad you were able to come back and win this thing.

For anyone who doesn’t know, Mitchell was one of five to submit in the first DV Challenge waaaay back in 2005, was first runner up in DVC2, and competed in every one until he got too busy by DVC 5. If you haven’t watched his DVC2 movie, you need to. It’s hilarious.

Go celebrate, Mitchell. You did it!
Old August 27th, 2007, 10:25 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Congratulations Mitchell, You deserve it. Great job.
Bruce Broussard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 27th, 2007, 10:30 AM   #4
Trustee

Congratulations Mitchell ! That's AWESOME ! I've always very much enjoyed your previous DVC entries, and I'm so glad you were able to get back into the DVC game, and pull out a win, no less.

Your piece was truly beautiful, and your hard work and skill is well rewarded. Good for you.

-Jon
Old August 27th, 2007, 10:33 AM   #5
Wrangler

Congratulations, too, to my dear friend Jon Jones and the others who finished so well. Good job!

Looking back on Mitchell’s run, I got to thinking about Dylan and all he’s done. I appreciate Chris Hurd for taking a chance on D knowing what a rogue he is, and I appreciate you, Dylan, for wanting to spice things up here while having a little fun yourself. But running this semi-regular contest isn’t that easy when a guy is as busy as you are, so I want to thank you—again—for running the best damn Challenge on the Net. I love ya, D!!! :)
Old August 27th, 2007, 10:51 AM   #6
Inner Circle

Congratulations Mitchell! Nice work, nice story and nice look! Keep them coming.

Much thanks to Dylan, Chris and Guy.

Mike
Old August 27th, 2007, 11:32 AM   #7
Trustee

Congrats and well deserved. Enjoy the new gear and bragging rights!!!! I bet you feel elated!!!!
Old August 27th, 2007, 11:49 AM   #8
Major Player

Mitchell,

You piece was beautiful, captured the theme, kept our interest, and had a surprise ending. I watched it twice, and knew it was the DVC9 winner.

Dick
Dick Mays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 27th, 2007, 12:49 PM   #9
Contributor

Congratulations Mitchell,

It's a good feeling to see the entry one voted for to win, win! You definitely deserve it.

Thanks Dylan, Guy, and Chris you are the un... I take that back ... the sung heros of getting some lazy butts up and motivated to do something with their creative lives. Nice job everyone.

Frankenstein meets XL1
Daniel Kohl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 27th, 2007, 03:09 PM   #10
Major Player

Congratulations, Mitchell!

Absolutely, Congrats Mitchell. As was previously expressed - I knew it was the winner, at least for me, as I watched it. Well done.

See you all for DVC10...
Old August 27th, 2007, 08:27 PM   #11
Regular Crew

Oh man! I was at work all day, this is awesome to see and come home to!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marco Wagner View Post
I bet you feel elated!!!!
YES! That is EXACTLY how I feel!!

This is incredible, thanks so much to everyone! Everyone who made a short of their own, everyone who voted, and especially Dylan, Chris and Guy! Making a short in a week to look back on is great enough, but this is too much! I've had a blast (and come a long way) with all these DVC's. I can't even tolerate my first entry anymore the audio is so bad, and my second entry, although I still love the story, I could redo so much better now! The DVC is proof that if you just get out there and practice making anything you WILL get better! Thanks everybody for your support, this really is one awesome community we have going.

I for one can't wait to see everybody back here for round 10!
Mitchell Stookey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 27th, 2007, 09:42 PM   #12
Major Player

Congratulations, Mitch! Hope Vancouver's treating you well.
Old August 28th, 2007, 12:37 PM   #13
Regular Crew

Congrats! your cinematography was outstanding and it was a great story! We had better see a few mono pod shots in dvc #10!!!

all the best
Jesse
Old August 28th, 2007, 08:47 PM   #14
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitchell Stookey View Post
Oh man! I was at work all day, this is awesome to see and come home to!
Hey Mitchell, send me an email with your address and I'll get your prize on the way!
Old August 29th, 2007, 06:06 AM   #15
Regular Crew

great work, it was my favorite for sure.

I was wondering, are these competitions only open for the US/Canadian group of people or can people from the UK win the prize?

Looks like everyone had a good time making the films, I was planning on doing something but was ill for most of the week, then was out filming a feature for the last few days so I couldnt. I had a really sweet idea as well.
Anyway, so when is the next competition?

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The Archives > The DV Challenge