DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   The DV Challenge (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/dv-challenge/)
-   -   New DVC website!?! (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/dv-challenge/104479-new-dvc-website.html)

Dylan Couper September 27th, 2007 12:29 AM

New DVC website!?!

So, a new DV Challenge website has taken shape!

It isn't done yet, the old site is still in place, at least for a little while.

Check out the new site and tell me what you think:

http://thedvchallenge.blogspot.com/

Yes, it's built on the Blogspot CMS. I was about to pay someone to build one from the ground up, then realized that Blogspot had nearly everything I wanted in a CMS system, so I started building all the categories and such under it. We'll change the template slightly, and mask the URL under thedvchallenge.com but the most important part was just to get it all up and in place.

Some pages haven't been proofread, and I still have some photos to add (thanks to those who sent them!) but otherwise, let me know what you think!

Chris Barcellos September 27th, 2007 01:19 AM

I signed up okay for the email list. Some of the text on my viewing of the site overlays on other text, including in the signup area. Using IE.

Benjamin Durin September 28th, 2007 11:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris Barcellos (Post 750717)
I signed up okay for the email list. Some of the text on my viewing of the site overlays on other text, including in the signup area. Using IE.

Same for me using Firefox 2.

But good move, Dylan. It will be much easier for you to update the site.
Maybe you can even embed the Youtube videos for the next challenge.

Dylan Couper September 28th, 2007 11:54 PM

Ok, I changed the layout for the site.
Let me know if this works any better for you.

And yes, I would like to embed the Youtube videos, at least for the winner and runners up, in the thread.

Benjamin Durin September 29th, 2007 12:58 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I think this layout is better but there is a problem with this text:
"Video challenges to get you off your ass and out in the real world practicing your skills and filming something real, something brave, something to show off."
It's always behind the main text.

Dylan Couper September 29th, 2007 03:53 PM

Well.... No idea how to fix that. Firefox must be reading something funny.

Do any IE users have this problem?

Mike Teutsch September 29th, 2007 04:00 PM

I use Firefox and it looks fine on my screen. Nice work on the site and such Dylan. Been out of town and don't know if I told you yet. Guess I need to sign up for the DVChallenge huh.

Mike

Actually Firefox 2, just for clarification.

m

Robert Martens September 29th, 2007 05:01 PM

I'm getting it in both; in IE 7, the text shows up behind the date of the most recent update, and in Firefox 2, it's displayed further down, between "It will begin Thursday, October 18th with the theme announcement, and end Sunday, October 28th.... AT MIDNIGHT!!!" and "A hint to the theme, you ask?".

Is this layout perchance dependent upon resolution? I lost my usual monitor a few months ago, haven't had the cash to get anything decent just yet, and I'm using an old 17" display at 1024x768 for the time being. Might account for the smooshed together elements.

Dylan Couper September 30th, 2007 12:01 AM

It might be a resolution thing. I suppose I should merge the title elements all into one .jpg rather than have them seperate.

Lisa Shofner October 15th, 2007 12:58 PM

Firefox

The Firefox browser doesn't render <div styles in the same way as IE6. IE7 also doesn't render <div styles in the same way all the time.

Firefox ignores a lot of "style=" settings on elements that aren't suposed to support them (though they do in IE5 and IE6) - such as the <font element. There are others.

So, what I'm trying to say is that when using styles or CSS files there might be some very strange looks that happen on Firefox and IE7. I've come to test all looks in Firefox as usually if it works there it will work in IE5-7.

I don't think a 1024x768 resolution should be an issue, unless it was actually designed larger than that.

Stuart Campbell October 15th, 2007 02:44 PM

spelling

I know you haven't proof read it yet but in case you miss it you spelt practising incorrectly;

"Video challenges to get you off your ass and out in the real world practicing your skills and filming something real, something brave, something to show off."

The verb form takes an 's'. Practising, not practicing. (I'm sure you knew that already).

Sorry for being fastidious, but I'm a sucker for the little details!

Good work, though!

Lorinda Norton October 15th, 2007 04:20 PM

Hmm...depends on where you live, maybe? My dictionary says "practicing." 'Course, some of us also spell it "spelled" rather than spelt. :)

Mike Teutsch October 15th, 2007 05:11 PM

Hum,

I checked and he is right! My visual thesaurus says:

Practicing=Actively engaged in a career or way of life or engaged in full time work!

Practising=Engage in a rehearsal, carry out or practice, learn by repetition!

The verb form is different. I learn something each day! I, in fact have never used it correctly.

Mike

Added: So if you say you are a practicing videographer it means you do it for a living. If you say you are a practising videographer is means you are trying to learn or doing it to improve or learn.

I don't feel bad though, my spell checker does not even recognize it.

M

Pete Bauer October 15th, 2007 05:26 PM

Depends on the dictionary. Merriam-Webster Online simply lists them as equally valid inflective variants and my 30 year old American Heritage lists "practise" as a mainly British form. Whatever...hey, these days I'm happy if someone online simply refrains from USING ALL CAPS!

But grammar is O.T. so if we want to continue, we'll need to break these posts off into a new thread in the Totem Pole.

Mike Teutsch October 15th, 2007 05:31 PM

Checked my two dictionaries and one says Stuart is right and the other other agrees with Pete.

Tie----No body wins! Either way is correct. Forget the Thesaurus!

Mike