A program to view DVC entries - Page 5 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The Archives > The DV Challenge
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

The DV Challenge
An organized theme-based competition where Content is King!

Old December 16th, 2007, 09:19 PM   #61
Major Player

I received a lot of emails from Chris saying the pressure was unbearable. I am a kind soul so I will relieve him from this terrible pressure by publishing the new version right now.
Well, the truth is I wanted to enable the automatic update process and I was waiting for the program to be hosted on DVi for this. But I suddenly realised that I am completely stupid and there is a way to implement the automatic update now.

As Adobe released a new version of AIR last week, now is a good time to have a new DVC Entry Viewer.
I suggest you first uninstall the DVC Entry Viewer if you already have it. Then go to the download page. If you don't have the latest Flash player, you will be asked if you want to install it. Then you can press "Install now" and it will install the new version of AIR and the new version of DVC Entry Viewer (it is less complicated than it sounds).

So what new features will you find?
- Auto update: when a new version of DVC Entry Viewer is available, it will be automatically downloaded and installed. Right now this function is pretty raw as the user is never prompted for anything but I will refine it later.
- DVC order: the first time the program is run, the DVC will appear in the order they are found, starting from 1. In subsequent launches, the DVC will be displayed in descending order so the last DVC will always appear first.
- Status bar: there is some information in the status bar. It will tell you if there was errors, etc. You have a 'Refresh' button at the right top to retry reading information from Youtube in case of errors.
- Voting: there are 2 buttons to sort the entries by vote (ascending/descending). Clicking on the 'View top 3' will open a window displaying the first three entries (by your votes). There you can copy them to the clipboard or it can make a new mail using your default mailing program (not web-based).
- Author details: clicking on the author name will open a new window displaying details about the author. This information is the public information available from Youtube. So only what the author made available is displayed.
- Map: this is one of my preffered new features. If an entry has geodata, there will be a magnifying glass next to 'duration'. Clicking on the magnifying glass will open a new window showing where the entry was shot (with Google maps). The map is interactive, you can zoom, move, etc. See DVC2 or DVC10 for entries with a map.

Hope you enjoy this new version and as usual I am waiting for your feedback.

Benjamin.
Benjamin Durin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 16th, 2007, 10:38 PM   #62
Wrangler

Ah, the new one runs smooooth, Benjamin. Map feature is cool, too! Nice job.
:)
Old December 16th, 2007, 11:31 PM   #63
Major Player

Working on Leopard now. Looks good :) All ready see one entry for 11.
Josh Chesarek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 17th, 2007, 09:02 AM   #64
Major Player

Next feature that might be worth working in is to have the program ignore entries until the day they are posted. Not sure of the best way to do this but it would prevent me from easily watching the other videos before I am supposed to :p
Old December 18th, 2007, 03:31 AM   #65
Major Player

Lorinda, thanks. But why your entries don't have geodata? Mmh? ;)

Josh, it's a good idea but I don't know how to do that. I don't want to have to manually enable entries for each DVC, I think it's better if everything is automated. This way, if I am sick or travelling, the program will still be working. If you have ideasfor the implementation, come on, I am listening.

Oh, I am preparing a minor update so if the program suddenly closes by itself this week, it means it is doing the update.

Benjamin.
Old December 19th, 2007, 08:28 AM   #66
Major Player

Still thinking about possible sollutions. I am currious as to why my video has not showed up in the player. I think I tagged it correctly the final night but still no love?!

Hmmmm.
Old December 19th, 2007, 09:28 AM   #67
Obstreperous Rex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benjamin Durin View Post
Chris, still behind on email?
Most definitely yes I am, and it's always a good idea to keep after me via email because I have an even harder time staying on top of what's happening around here. So, my apologies for dropping the ball on this. For future reference, if you don't hear from me by email, please use email instead of the forum to remind me. Hosting the program certainly isn't a problem, it's just a matter of how much I have on my plate at the moment... ideally someone closer to DVC with upload privs to the site could manage this instead of relying on me as the gatekeeper. Again, my apologies.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 19th, 2007, 09:41 AM   #68
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Chesarek View Post
I am currious as to why my video has not showed up in the player. I think I tagged it correctly the final night but still no love?!

Hmmmm.
It must have been a very long night because, yes, your tags are not correct....
You should have 'DVC11' and 'thedvchallenge' but your entry has 'DVC11' and 'dvchallenge'.
Try again ;)
Old December 19th, 2007, 09:45 AM   #69
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Hurd View Post
Most definitely yes I am, and it's always a good idea to keep after me via email because I have an even harder time staying on top of what's happening around here. So, my apologies for dropping the ball on this. For future reference, if you don't hear from me by email, please use email instead of the forum to remind me. Hosting the program certainly isn't a problem, it's just a matter of how much I have on my plate at the moment... ideally someone closer to DVC with upload privs to the site could manage this instead of relying on me as the gatekeeper. Again, my apologies.
I don't understand how you manage to keep track of what's going on in the forums. For me you are a kind of god, with an eye on every thread. So no need to apology.
Dylan, do you have upload privileges? If not, who else?

Benjamin.
Old December 19th, 2007, 09:59 AM   #70
Major Player

Nice effects with the new version. I have a problem. I've edited my info on the two entries I have on YouTube to include "DVC5" and "DVC6" in the respective places, but they're still not showing up on the list. I did this about two weeks ago so there should be lots of time to update the list, right? What am I doing wrong?

Thanks for your efforts! This is a great program.

[edit] - oh wait, let me try something first....I just saw your post above....
[edit] - just edited the tags again to include "thedvchallenge"....we'll see if that helps....
www.elpilon.com
Edward Slonaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 19th, 2007, 10:26 AM   #71
Major Player

Quote:
It must have been a very long night because, yes, your tags are not correct....
You should have 'DVC11' and 'thedvchallenge' but your entry has 'DVC11' and 'dvchallenge'.
Try again ;)
You have to have BOTH tags to get in? Ahhh did not know that... K...
Old December 19th, 2007, 10:33 AM   #72
Wrangler

Yeah, I didn't know that either, and wondered why my latest hadn't shown up. Must've been dumb luck that my others got tagged correctly.
Old December 31st, 2007, 03:28 AM   #73
Major Player

And one more!

Sorry for being so late to reply but my wife gave birth to a girl ten days ago. It was a little sooner than expected so I am kind of busy since then. For those who care to know, both the mother and the child are fine.

I didn't have time to update the program as I had promised. There was a last minute bug and I didn't find time to work on it. The next upgrade will be released... well, when I have time.

Seems like a lot of people can't remember the keywords needed. I will add them at the end of each of my posts from now, maybe that will help.

Tags (or keywords) needed: "thedvchallenge" and "DVC#" where # is the number for the DVC (ie, "DVC11"). Add the tag "winner" if your entry won the first place.

Benjamin.
Old December 31st, 2007, 06:49 AM   #74
Major Player

Quote:
Sorry for being so late to reply but my wife gave birth to a girl ten days ago.... For those who care to know, both the mother and the child are fine.

Benjamin.
Congratulations! Take time off! You deserve it! We all know the little bundle of joy will keep you busy for the time to come :)

Congratulations again!
Old December 31st, 2007, 10:38 AM   #75
Wrangler

Congratulations, Benjamin!

So, your little fella has a baby sister...that's great. I hope you're all having lots of fun and getting a little rest now and then. :)

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The Archives > The DV Challenge