DVC 12 Theme Announcement!!! at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The Archives > The DV Challenge

The DV Challenge
An organized theme-based competition where Content is King!

Old February 28th, 2008, 03:37 AM   #1
Wrangler

DVC 12 Theme Announcement!!!

When my sister suggested this theme I laughed, and said, “No way!” (If you follow US politics you’ll see why.) But the more I thought about it the more it sounded like a really broad and fun theme. Dylan liked the concept, so now, if you’ll allow me one short ado….

Please: No political statements with your film! I’m sure you agree that this place is a great sanctuary from all that. We’re all friends here and we’d like to keep it that way.

OK, here we go; the theme for DVC 12 is……”change.”

You now have until midnight on Sunday, March 9, to complete your film, upload it to YouTube and e-mail the link to thedvchallenge@gmail.com .

If you haven’t read the rules visit the Web site rules page. First-timers might want to peruse the “How It Works” page, as well. Use this thread for posting any questions you may have.

Now, get going and have fun making that great film! Or as our beloved leader says,

GO, GO, GO!!! :)
Old February 28th, 2008, 04:19 AM   #2
Major Player

Wow! I didn't thought the theme was up yet but thought I take and peak and here it is!!!! :D And I like the theme.. :)
Old February 28th, 2008, 06:36 AM   #3
Major Player

Well, well, well.....good morning! And thank you!

I do believe this is a good one!
Old February 28th, 2008, 09:13 AM   #4
Regular Crew

Change is a comin'
Bruce Broussard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2008, 11:06 AM   #5
Major Player

I just pooped my pants!

Jim
Jim Montgomery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2008, 11:17 AM   #6
Inner Circle

Lorinda:

When you state this, I am unclear what is meant:

"Please: No political statements with your film! I’m sure you agree that this place is a great sanctuary from all that. We’re all friends here and we’d like to keep it that way."

I can understand not wanting political advertisements like vote for "Joe Smoe", etc., but fictional pieces that focus on the current ideas and issues are common themes for films. Sure would like a bit more clarification of this.
Old February 28th, 2008, 11:52 AM   #7
Space Hipster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Barcellos View Post
Lorinda:

When you state this, I am unclear what is meant:

"Please: No political statements with your film! I’m sure you agree that this place is a great sanctuary from all that. We’re all friends here and we’d like to keep it that way."

I can understand not wanting political advertisements like vote for "Joe Smoe", etc., but fictional pieces that focus on the current ideas and issues are common themes for films. Sure would like a bit more clarification of this.
I would agree - as well as being wildly unconstitutional it is probably beyond enforcement as what constitutes a "political statement" is fodder for an impossible to resolve argument.

I think "no political advertisements" is about as close as you could get to a rule and even that would be hard given current FCC troubles with those.

Personally, I think "change" has little to do with politics which is "same old same old" and if want to look at change, politics or political statements would be a poor choice of subject and should be points off in judging :)
Old February 28th, 2008, 12:10 PM   #8
Wrangler

*sigh* I knew I should have gone with the other choice of themes… :)

Okay, if folks feel that they must further enlighten us all with current ideas and issues then I’m not going to stop it, but I’ll confess to being pretty tired of it already. And Stephen is correct; clarification is impossible because no matter what I say it could be argued.

We’re getting lambasted with current ideas and issues all the time “out there.” For the Challenge, I just think it would be nice to have a vacation from it. How's that for backing off and hoping for the best? :)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen van Vuuren View Post
Personally, I think "change" has little to do with politics which is "same old same old" and if want to look at change, politics or political statements would be a poor choice of subject and should be points off in judging :)
Well, that's an interesting way of lookin' at it!
Old February 28th, 2008, 01:47 PM   #9
Major Player

Change? Like loose change in your pocket?

Or like show change on your tires to go on the ice?
Dick Mays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2008, 01:58 PM   #10
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick Mays View Post
Like loose change in your pocket?
That's what I'm doing. Coins. Just to be a smartass.

With regard to the rest of this unpleasant business, while I am of the view that we are neither entitled to nor deserving of free speech on a privately owned and operated website in which we're privileged to participate, I say let it be a free for all. We're all perfectly able to avoid voting for things we don't like, and there's an X out of 5 rating system on Youtube, so everything should even itself out.

Personally, I would humbly request that if you absolutely must opine on matters political, environmental, or otherwise 'hot', try not to be too preachy about it. I'm talked down to all over the internet, in every TV show and commercial I watch, and everywhere else ever, I just think it's nice to have a place to escape that, if only for a while.
Robert Martens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2008, 02:04 PM   #11
Wrangler

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Martens View Post
That's what I'm doing. Coins.
Darn! That was going to be my take, as well. Back to the drawing board. ;)
Old February 28th, 2008, 02:11 PM   #12
Major Player

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Martens View Post
That's what I'm doing. Coins. Just to be a smartass.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorinda Norton View Post
Darn! That was going to be my take, as well. Back to the drawing board. ;)
LOL....Funny....
Both myself and another contestant I was chattin't with this morning had the same idea....
Old February 28th, 2008, 02:24 PM   #13
Wrangler

well, can i just say....yo lorinda! welcome to the wonderful world of theme-issuing...! baptism by fire!

this is how it goes...you post something you think is kind of cool and provocative, then you listen to all kind of belly-aching and bewilderment...and then they either go out there and shoot brilliant stuff or end up in the tank/on the wall...

the 3 B's...bellyache, bewildered, brilliant....we use the other "B" for bellyache, rhymes with "witch" when we discuss this phenomenon in e-mail...

one thing i always admired dylan for was his ability to laugh his head off at all the complaining. remember when he used SCARE US at halloween, and we couldn't figure out what he meant by that?? silly players...
Meryem Ersoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2008, 02:41 PM   #14
Inner Circle

Lorinda:

Didn't mean to be a PIA your first time out. But for instance, a science fiction film about the changes caused by global warming might be considered political... not that that will be my subject....
Old February 28th, 2008, 03:00 PM   #15
Regular Crew

Basically i think she means....Dont put your political views as to whether you agree with Obama's statements for change, in a movie that is going to make us all go either left wing or right wing and start a fight.....I personally am going with a sweet story about barrack obama as a baby and I'm changing his diaper!!! hehehehe jk

Good Luck everyone

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The Archives > The DV Challenge