DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   The DV Challenge (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/dv-challenge/)
-   -   DVC 12 Theme Announcement!!! (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/dv-challenge/115933-dvc-12-theme-announcement.html)

Lorinda Norton February 28th, 2008 03:37 AM

DVC 12 Theme Announcement!!!

When my sister suggested this theme I laughed, and said, “No way!” (If you follow US politics you’ll see why.) But the more I thought about it the more it sounded like a really broad and fun theme. Dylan liked the concept, so now, if you’ll allow me one short ado….

Please: No political statements with your film! I’m sure you agree that this place is a great sanctuary from all that. We’re all friends here and we’d like to keep it that way.

OK, here we go; the theme for DVC 12 is……”change.”

You now have until midnight on Sunday, March 9, to complete your film, upload it to YouTube and e-mail the link to thedvchallenge@gmail.com .

If you haven’t read the rules visit the Web site rules page. First-timers might want to peruse the “How It Works” page, as well. Use this thread for posting any questions you may have.

Now, get going and have fun making that great film! Or as our beloved leader says,

GO, GO, GO!!! :)

Fredrik-Larsson February 28th, 2008 04:19 AM

Wow! I didn't thought the theme was up yet but thought I take and peak and here it is!!!! :D And I like the theme.. :)

Bob Thieda February 28th, 2008 06:36 AM

Well, well, well.....good morning! And thank you!

I do believe this is a good one!

Bruce Broussard February 28th, 2008 09:13 AM

Change is a comin'

Jim Montgomery February 28th, 2008 11:06 AM

I just pooped my pants!

Jim

Chris Barcellos February 28th, 2008 11:17 AM

Lorinda:

When you state this, I am unclear what is meant:

"Please: No political statements with your film! I’m sure you agree that this place is a great sanctuary from all that. We’re all friends here and we’d like to keep it that way."

I can understand not wanting political advertisements like vote for "Joe Smoe", etc., but fictional pieces that focus on the current ideas and issues are common themes for films. Sure would like a bit more clarification of this.

Stephen van Vuuren February 28th, 2008 11:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris Barcellos (Post 834665)
Lorinda:

When you state this, I am unclear what is meant:

"Please: No political statements with your film! I’m sure you agree that this place is a great sanctuary from all that. We’re all friends here and we’d like to keep it that way."

I can understand not wanting political advertisements like vote for "Joe Smoe", etc., but fictional pieces that focus on the current ideas and issues are common themes for films. Sure would like a bit more clarification of this.

I would agree - as well as being wildly unconstitutional it is probably beyond enforcement as what constitutes a "political statement" is fodder for an impossible to resolve argument.

I think "no political advertisements" is about as close as you could get to a rule and even that would be hard given current FCC troubles with those.

Personally, I think "change" has little to do with politics which is "same old same old" and if want to look at change, politics or political statements would be a poor choice of subject and should be points off in judging :)

Lorinda Norton February 28th, 2008 12:10 PM

*sigh* I knew I should have gone with the other choice of themes… :)

Okay, if folks feel that they must further enlighten us all with current ideas and issues then I’m not going to stop it, but I’ll confess to being pretty tired of it already. And Stephen is correct; clarification is impossible because no matter what I say it could be argued.

We’re getting lambasted with current ideas and issues all the time “out there.” For the Challenge, I just think it would be nice to have a vacation from it. How's that for backing off and hoping for the best? :)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Stephen van Vuuren (Post 834693)
Personally, I think "change" has little to do with politics which is "same old same old" and if want to look at change, politics or political statements would be a poor choice of subject and should be points off in judging :)

Well, that's an interesting way of lookin' at it!

Dick Mays February 28th, 2008 01:47 PM

Change? Like loose change in your pocket?

Or like show change on your tires to go on the ice?

Robert Martens February 28th, 2008 01:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dick Mays (Post 834746)
Like loose change in your pocket?

That's what I'm doing. Coins. Just to be a smartass.

With regard to the rest of this unpleasant business, while I am of the view that we are neither entitled to nor deserving of free speech on a privately owned and operated website in which we're privileged to participate, I say let it be a free for all. We're all perfectly able to avoid voting for things we don't like, and there's an X out of 5 rating system on Youtube, so everything should even itself out.

Personally, I would humbly request that if you absolutely must opine on matters political, environmental, or otherwise 'hot', try not to be too preachy about it. I'm talked down to all over the internet, in every TV show and commercial I watch, and everywhere else ever, I just think it's nice to have a place to escape that, if only for a while.

Lorinda Norton February 28th, 2008 02:04 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Robert Martens (Post 834762)
That's what I'm doing. Coins.

Darn! That was going to be my take, as well. Back to the drawing board. ;)

Bob Thieda February 28th, 2008 02:11 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Robert Martens (Post 834762)
That's what I'm doing. Coins. Just to be a smartass.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lorinda Norton (Post 834770)
Darn! That was going to be my take, as well. Back to the drawing board. ;)

LOL....Funny....
Both myself and another contestant I was chattin't with this morning had the same idea....

Meryem Ersoz February 28th, 2008 02:24 PM

well, can i just say....yo lorinda! welcome to the wonderful world of theme-issuing...! baptism by fire!

this is how it goes...you post something you think is kind of cool and provocative, then you listen to all kind of belly-aching and bewilderment...and then they either go out there and shoot brilliant stuff or end up in the tank/on the wall...

the 3 B's...bellyache, bewildered, brilliant....we use the other "B" for bellyache, rhymes with "witch" when we discuss this phenomenon in e-mail...

one thing i always admired dylan for was his ability to laugh his head off at all the complaining. remember when he used SCARE US at halloween, and we couldn't figure out what he meant by that?? silly players...

Chris Barcellos February 28th, 2008 02:41 PM

Lorinda:

Didn't mean to be a PIA your first time out. But for instance, a science fiction film about the changes caused by global warming might be considered political... not that that will be my subject....

Jesse Steele February 28th, 2008 03:00 PM

Basically i think she means....Dont put your political views as to whether you agree with Obama's statements for change, in a movie that is going to make us all go either left wing or right wing and start a fight.....I personally am going with a sweet story about barrack obama as a baby and I'm changing his diaper!!! hehehehe jk

Good Luck everyone