Trouble viewing youtube at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The Archives > The DV Challenge

The DV Challenge
An organized theme-based competition where Content is King!

Old March 15th, 2008, 05:47 AM   #1
Major Player

Trouble viewing youtube

Humm,, don't know what's up but I haven't been able to view youtube for three days. Says trouble displaying page, either Javascript disabled or old Flash player, but I have upgraded players and Javascript is enabled in both IE and Firefox with same behavior. I can view the youtube featured video on my homepage, but whenever I click on any of the links, I get this message:

"Hello, you either have JavaScript turned off or an old version of Adobe's Flash Player."

I can't vote unless I can view them all. Any ideas?
Dick Mays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 15th, 2008, 11:11 AM   #2
Major Player

I had something like this a month or two ago. Have you tried a brute force reinstall?

For the life of me I can't remember if I figured out the specific cause, but downloading the app from and following the instructions at http://kb.adobe.com/selfservice/view...4157&sliceId=1 to uninstall the Flash Player from my system, and then returning to Adobe's site to reinstall it did the trick. I was in fact up to date with version 9,0,115,0 at the time, and I was only reinstalling the very same revision, but it worked.
Robert Martens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 16th, 2008, 08:15 AM   #3
Major Player

Thanks Robert,

I tried that, and still no luck. I can view them if they are the default video on someone's channel, but not with the direct link to the video id.

Don't understand this at all. Just started happening. Happens on both IE and firefox.

I suppose I could start reverse engineering the code...
Old March 16th, 2008, 09:37 AM   #4
Major Player

Dang it, I thought that would have been it. All I can find in Youtube's oh-so-helpful troubleshooting section is this: http://www.google.com/support/youtub...15&topic=10560

Beyond trying the other suggestions listed there, I'm sorry to say I'm totally stumped by this. The only thing I can think of is to try one of the video download websites or programs that are out there. I've been using YouTube Downloader for this, but you can Google "youtube download" to find any number of others. They won't actually solve the problem, but may allow you to work around it and at least view the entries.

Oh! Just editing my post because I forgot to mention that if you do manage to download the flv files, you'll need something like VLC, Riva FLV Player, or Irfanview (with the necessary plugins) to play the files.

Last edited by Robert Martens; March 16th, 2008 at 01:02 PM.
Robert Martens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 16th, 2008, 09:03 PM   #5
Major Player

Dick, just out of curiosity, can you watch the videos using the DVC Entry Viewer?

Benjamin.
Benjamin Durin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 16th, 2008, 09:39 PM   #6
Major Player

Ben,

Thanks for the suggestion. I was able to view most of them before youtube started going wacky on me. But I was able to use your program to view one I wasn't able to see before.

Wierd.

BTW, the scrolldown box where you pick the DVC challenge number didn't seem to work so well for me. Difficult to scroll down, one number at a time.
Hard to explain the behavior.

Dick
Old March 16th, 2008, 10:23 PM   #7
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick Mays View Post
Ben,

Thanks for the suggestion. I was able to view most of them before youtube started going wacky on me. But I was able to use your program to view one I wasn't able to see before.
Wierd.
I also had a problem viewing Youtube videos some time ago. I never found the problem and now it is working. My main suspect at the time was my router but I couldn't bring evidence to charge him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick Mays View Post
BTW, the scrolldown box where you pick the DVC challenge number didn't seem to work so well for me. Difficult to scroll down, one number at a time.
Hard to explain the behavior.
I only use a simple ComboBox, should work out of the box. Be sure to have the latest version and if you have problems with the program you can post more information on the dedicated thread.

Benjamin.
Benjamin Durin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 16th, 2008, 10:39 PM   #8
Regular Crew

Hmmm... what about a system restore?
Joseph Tran is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The Archives > The DV Challenge