DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   The DV Challenge (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/dv-challenge/)
-   -   Mandy's Mom (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/dv-challenge/120981-mandys-mom.html)

Dick Mays May 5th, 2008 04:05 PM

Mandy's Mom

After a long struggle with infection, Margaret Jacobus passed away this past Sunday. She had been paralyzed by an accidental gunshot, but went on to raised three daughters. Her youngest, Mandy, was an acting student of mine and lived with us for several months while in high school.

I told Margaret I'd put her into a movie, and she was very excited about the prospect of being in a film. But she went back into the hospital the week before I got to shoot my DVC 6 entry. But she loved this little short, so here is a replay posting for Margaret.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jcQR9FDtBqc&fmt=18

Robert Martens May 5th, 2008 05:25 PM

I'm very sorry to hear this news, Dick. The film is a wonderful tribute, it's easy to see why she liked it. My condolences to everyone.

Lorinda Norton May 5th, 2008 10:51 PM

I’m sure sorry, Dick. Please pass along our sympathies to Mandy, as well.

I remember you saying how much Margaret had looked forward to playing herself in the movie. It’s nice to know that she loved it so much. You did a very good thing for her…and her daughter.

Bruce Foreman May 6th, 2008 11:28 AM

A very touching film, very touching tribute. My sympathies and condolences to the family.

Dick Mays May 12th, 2008 08:23 PM

I'm going to be taking a little time off from DVC challenges.

You guys are a great group, and the DVC challeng group is like a family. Dylan is like the prodigal son, you know he's bad, but you welcome him back home and have a big party just for showing up.

Lorinda is the kindest woman who gives men hope that such creatures actually exist.

Robert and Mike and Bill and Bradley and Bruce and Hugh and Johnathon and all of you guys keep making films. I'll be watching them.

Dick

Lorinda Norton May 13th, 2008 08:00 AM

Why, thank you, Dick! They are out there...or maybe you need to visit out west where they are everywhere. :)

I hope you don’t stay away very long. We need you around here. I always appreciate your take on a theme plus your entertaining and/or helpful comments.

One more thing, don’t hesitate to change your mind when you see the irresistible theme for the next challenge! (Like I know what it’ll be.) :)

Dick Mays May 13th, 2008 08:38 AM

I can't change my mind, I sold my camera! Trying to restore my finances. If I still have my job next year I'm buying a Scarlet to replace it.

But I'm not sure I'm buying into the idea that "they" are out there. Opening the door to hope, that's a risky proposition!

Lorinda Norton May 13th, 2008 09:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dick Mays (Post 876458)
I can't change my mind, I sold my camera!

Oh no! Well, that’s as good a reason as it gets for laying out of the Challenge. Hope you get that Scarlet. In the meantime, while you’re watching your ol’ buddies’ movies be sure and get in on the chats, okay?
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dick Mays (Post 876458)
But I'm not sure I'm buying into the idea that "they" are out there. Opening the door to hope, that's a risky proposition!

You got me there. I told a friend who was “hoping” to stop, and then someone nice would come along. By golly, that’s exactly what happened….five years later.

Robert Martens May 13th, 2008 12:31 PM

Selling one's camera does kind of put a crimp into filmmaking plans; I can appreciate your position. I'll miss seeing entries from you, but obviously this kind of thing is more important. Best of luck setting your financial life back in order!

Hope you can grab a Scarlet, too, it's certainly an exciting prospect.

Dick Mays May 14th, 2008 08:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lorinda Norton (Post 876482)
I told a friend who was “hoping” to stop, and then someone nice would come along. By golly, that’s exactly what happened….five years later.

Five years sounds about right. Gives me time to recover finanically, get my head on straight, and make a feature film or two. I'll start writing scripts with roles for attractive middle aged women and let nature take its course...

Dylan Couper May 14th, 2008 02:46 PM

Hey Dick
Sorry to hear that. Tragic indeed. I'm glad the DVC got to play a part in her life.