DVC 13 –The Winner is... at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The Archives > The DV Challenge

The DV Challenge
An organized theme-based competition where Content is King!

Old July 7th, 2008, 09:53 AM   #1
Wrangler

DVC 13 –The Winner is...

Was DVC 13 unlucky? Not at all! We ended up with eight great films to watch and judge...now it’s time to announce the winner.

But first, a little gratitude:

Much appreciation goes to Guy Cochran for continuing to offer the generous prize of a $250 shopping spree at www.dvestore.com. If you haven’t done it yet, check out the store.

As always, thank you, Chris Hurd, for giving us the space to practice our filmmaking here at “DV Info Net – the best damn video forum on the Internet!” (Dylan’s quote)

Speaking of Dylan, his vision in starting this contest provides the means and motivation to, as he says, “get you off your ass and on the street filming something real, something brave, something you want to show off.” I think that should be repeated at the start of every challenge!

An appreciative nod to veteran DVC folks Dick Mays and Kris Holodak for taking the time to comment on ALL the films, thereby giving these eight filmmakers the extra feedback they deserved. It was encouraging and constructive, as well as entertaining.

Finally, thanks to each of you who got out there and made a film. It isn’t easy, so each of you is a winner just for getting one submitted. Of course, there can only be one who takes the prize, so here we go with the top three...

2nd Runner Up:

Chris Barcellos – “A Lucky Day”

Wonderfully funny story, Chris. Well acted, shot and edited, too. Good job!

1st Runner Up:

Joseph Tran – “You Only Get Lucky on Valentines”

Another very fine and [this round] humor-filled film by the DVC 12 champ. Nicely done, Joseph!

And now...

The WINNER of DVC #13:

Hugh DiMauro – “The Long Shot”

Congratulations, Hugh—the only DV Challenge three-time winner! Great story, great use of theme, some stunning shots, plus funny gags that won the day. You have proven yet again that your filmmaking is top-notch!

I’ll get your email address sent off to Guy Cochran at www.dvestore.com for your prize. Please go to YouTube and add “winner” to the tags of all your winning entries so they’ll show up that way on the DVC viewer Benjamin Durin programmed for the Challenge.

*cue music* It’s a wrap! The DV Challenge is lots of fun plus great education that is vastly “cheaper than film school.” Challengers, you all should be proud of yourselves and your work. Hope to see you back for more in a couple months or so for DVC 14!
Old July 7th, 2008, 10:16 AM   #2
Wrangler

Big time congrats to Hugh! Three time champ! Wow, next time I'm going to have to issue a special challenge to all the past DVC winners to make a run for your crown. :)

Props to Chris and Joseph, our runners up. Nice work guys!

Also, a huge thanks to Lorinda, who has shouldered the work behind the scenes of the DV Challenge. Without her, honestly, this challenge wouldn't have happened.

See you guys on the next one...
Old July 7th, 2008, 04:05 PM   #3
Inner Circle

Congrats to Hugh and Joseph, as well as all who made a film. Every time we do one of these, I feel like I add something to my skill set and as a result of that, I am actually starting to do some work on productions with other crews...
Old July 7th, 2008, 05:09 PM   #4
Trustee

Thanks

My cast, crew and I thank you. We had fun and it feels good to have participated among eight other excellent movies. I agree with Chris.
Old July 7th, 2008, 09:46 PM   #5
Trustee

Congrats Hugh, Joseph, and Chris. The competition was very stiff on this one. I think everyone had a real strong entry and you three came out on top.

Wow, Hugh. 3 first place wins.
Bruce Foreman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 7th, 2008, 10:40 PM   #6
Trustee

Thanks to Guy Cochran, DVE Store

Thank you, Guy, for your generous prize donation. Your customer service is awesome and your products top notch. You have a customer for life!
Old July 8th, 2008, 07:06 AM   #7
Inner Circle

Congratulations to you Hugh and to all who entered a film. Best contest on the net! Let's keep it going forever. Many thanks to my friends Dylan and Lorinda for their hard work and dedication.

Mike
Old July 8th, 2008, 10:56 AM   #8
Major Player

Congrats Hugh, well, don't worry, someday I will be in the spotlight :P Enjoy the prize!
Old July 8th, 2008, 01:15 PM   #9
Major Player

Hugh,

Well done. There are relatively few shorts that I see that I remember anything about.

I think your horseshoe shaping sequence is something that sticks in the mind.

Very professionally done. Loved that blue sky. I look at your short, and Joseph's, and Bill Gardner's, and Lorinda's, and all the DVC winners as examples to learn from.

Congratulation on a well deserved win.

Dick
Dick Mays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 9th, 2008, 03:10 PM   #10
Regular Crew

A well deserved win! Many congrats, Hugh!
Joseph Tran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 25th, 2008, 10:46 PM   #11
Regular Crew

A Sprinkling of Hilarity

The quick cuts of the phone conversation(s) really worked. I totally saw what you were going after and I laughed out loud. Esp the few out of context bits.. <cut>"really? <cut>
I Loved it.
Awsome !

Thanks for the laughs.

Last edited by Ken Bates; August 25th, 2008 at 11:21 PM. Reason: added more...
Ken Bates is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The Archives > The DV Challenge