Do we still have gas? - Page 3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The Archives > The DV Challenge
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

The DV Challenge
An organized theme-based competition where Content is King!

Old October 9th, 2008, 10:28 AM   #31
Regular Crew

awwww

10 days w/o a post was making me a bit concerned. My Documentary is deep in pre-production though so I have an "outlet"...
Old October 9th, 2008, 10:45 AM   #32
Wrangler

It’s ultimately Dylan’s call, not mine. If we could show him we’ve got enough rowdys around here for a rip-roarin’ time then he’d probably give us a green light! But are there more out there....
Old October 9th, 2008, 11:27 AM   #33
Inner Circle

As I indicated earlier in this thread, I have a group of people who are excited about making film for this challenge. But problem is that when we have to depend on the whim of someone else as to when the contest will be held, the interest begins to deteriorate. If you have ten people who want to work on series of films, the chances of tying them up for a planned shoot 30 days out, is much better than a sudden announcement. Again, this is a choice of handling that Lorinda has explained before, but that does not change that reality.

I think that a schedule similar to UWOL Challenge should be established, so some planning can be accomplished. Otherwise, I fear that the turnout which occurred last time will be repeated.
Old October 9th, 2008, 11:38 AM   #34
Major Player

Im still looking to go!
Old October 9th, 2008, 01:17 PM   #35
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Barcellos View Post
I think that a schedule similar to UWOL Challenge should be established, so some planning can be accomplished. Otherwise, I fear that the turnout which occurred last time will be repeated.
DVC 13 gave ten-eleven days for sign-up. That’s not sudden in my book, and not what caused the light turn-out for that challenge, in my opinion. If you think of it as a “whim of someone else” and it’s causing you and your group problems, Chris, then I guess it’s a good thing you have other outlets. From the first DVC it’s been billed as a semi-regular contest, and I’ve always accepted it (and liked it) as a more free-wheeling, spontaneous adventure. Some folks are going to dig it, others are not. I see the slowdown as more of a natural ebb and flow deal--nothing more.

Dylan is lots busier now than before, but he still loves the challenge and wants to give people a place to make and show films. He'll be around as much as he can...if I have to drag him away from his projects to do it! ;)

I’m with you on this one, Josh--even if there aren’t very many of us I’d like to give it a go. But man, if there are some other fun-loving film makers out there, this would be a great time to jump in and say so! :)
Old October 9th, 2008, 01:26 PM   #36
Major Player

I understand the need for a solid turn out for these things. Part of me wants to make a 2nd horror short for fun but would hate to not be able to use it if it does get announced. Maybe Ill have to come up with 2 of them... :p Wishful thinking ;)
Old October 9th, 2008, 01:31 PM   #37
Inner Circle

Lorinda:

The title of this thread is "Do we still have gas ?" I have merely offered my opinion on what would help to make this challenge continue to be successful... because I've love participating in it. We used to be able to depend on something every 2 to 3 months. But you are right, if it doesn't suit the needs of my "group", we can do something else...

I won't bring it up again....

Last edited by Chris Barcellos; October 9th, 2008 at 03:24 PM.
Chris Barcellos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 9th, 2008, 03:19 PM   #38
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Chesarek View Post
Im still looking to go!

Me too.

"Let's went. Cisco"
Old October 9th, 2008, 07:24 PM   #39
Major Player

Deep focus master = a master shot that has a deep focus. Like the opening of Citizen Kane when the boy is playing in the snow in the background, the mom in close up at the table, the lawyer and the father move around in the middle. Everyone is in focus.

Sorry about that, rather obscure reference now that I think about it. I was recently in a director's workshop where we had to do one of these. So many people go out of their way and spend lots of money to be able to use a shallow depth of field with a video camera. This workshop I was in praised the long focal length as a strength and then showed us how to use it. Very nice learning experience for me.

Anyway, yes I LOTS of gas, and my wife can attest to it.

Seriously I'm full of creative energy and if my regular crew can't get together if/when it's announced by gosh I'll do one by myself if I have to.

That's the way I roll baby.

(my cool new LA colloquialism I picked up while I was out there, LOL).
Dennis Khaye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 9th, 2008, 08:12 PM   #40
Wrangler

Whew! With the obvious reference staring at us day after day, here I was worried that DV Info had become too civilized or "professional." Then along comes Dennis and restores my pleasant belief that men are still boys (with their potty humor and everything that comes with it) in grown-up clothes. Thank you, Dennis. Thinking back on some of your films it had to be you. ;)

Thanks for the deep focus master explanation, too! :)
Old October 10th, 2008, 04:16 PM   #41
Wrangler

We have an accord...

The Big D and I have finally reached an agreement on DVC 14. Be watching for a sign-up thread tonight!
Old October 10th, 2008, 04:18 PM   #42
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorinda Norton View Post
The Big D and I have finally reached an agreement on DVC 14. Be watching for a sign-up thread tonight!
Oh yeah, thats what we wanted to hear!
Old October 10th, 2008, 09:53 PM   #43
Major Player

As I sit here in my Garanimals I say, you're welcome.
Dennis Khaye is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The Archives > The DV Challenge