The "Tell Me More" thread at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The Archives > The DV Challenge

The DV Challenge
An organized theme-based competition where Content is King!

Old October 12th, 2008, 12:02 PM   #1
Wrangler

The "Tell Me More" thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Caplan View Post
tell me more, sounds fun.
Hi, Scott! So, what would you like us to tell you that isn’t on the blog The DV Challenge: * Official Rules ?

That we got to see Dylan Couper nude in his bathtub? (Well, sort of nude.) That he tried to blackmail Santa Claus?

Over the past 13 Challenges there have been lots of great stories—those that end up in the films plus some behind-the-scenes stories.

The first DV Challenge was won by Aaron Koolen of Australia with a film about a guy who is trapped inside a car engine. The ending is to die for.

Dennis Kahye made cavemen funny long before the television commercial came out.

I still love it that Michael Fossenkemper and Robert Martens met because of these challenges, then teamed up in New York for one of the funniest movies I’ve seen here. And Robert continues on--just today I watched The Chump again and laughed out loud.

Josh unwittingly played my son in a short DVC mystery/thriller written by Mugurel Dragusin that never made it to YouTube. ;)

What movie was it that had the television chasing a guy through the house, yard, and down the street? I can still see the television “peeking” over the top of the fence...

(Spoiler alert: "A Lucky Day" by Chris Barcellos, DVC 13) Where else but in the DV Challenge could the governor of California innocently kill off a foe by hitting the wrong lever in his airplane lavatory and dropping blue ice from the sky? The theme was “luck,” and Matt McClain’s comment, “...getting killed by a falling crap-baggie is probably the unluckiest way to go” says it all...

OK, that’s enough for now; I’m sure more will come to mind. If anyone else remembers some DVC trivia, antics or great clips--yours or someone else’s-- share them!

Oh, and if you’re reading this but haven’t signed up for DVC 14, do it! :) http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/dv-challe...up-thread.html

Last edited by Lorinda Norton; October 12th, 2008 at 12:36 PM.
Lorinda Norton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 12th, 2008, 03:44 PM   #2
Major Player

Thanks for the mention, Lorinda! Glad to hear The Chump still amuses someone.

You know, your post made me realize that my website's been linking to the wrong making-of footage for Two Guys for the past two years; I accidentally uploaded the raw footage I'd sent to Mike, and not the final, behind-the-scenes and outtake file he ultimately assembled.

There's a thread from around the time of DVC 7 specifically highlighting all the bonus material people had from their films, but for those who don't want to hunt, you can grab ours--the correct, final version--from my website right here.

As for other stories, the one I wish I'd gotten on camera was during that same shoot, when upon returning to the cabin we stayed at that weekend, Paul drove Mike's Jeep into a tree at the end of the driveway. No one was hurt; it was a small tree, more like a shrub, really, but an accomplishment nonetheless. The perfect comic relief end to a whirlwind day of shooting all over town. And I do mean whilrwind: my dad and I showed up on a Saturday, and there was some initial prep of the cablecam used in the woods, but all of the actual production was done that Sunday.

It was a hell of a time, and I'd encourage others to try it out if given the chance.
Robert Martens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 12th, 2008, 05:50 PM   #3
Wrangler

Ah yes, the cable cam! If I asked this before I’m sorry: Who climbed way up in the tree with the cable? And how on earth did Mike frame and time that shot???

From way back to the “reflections” challenge I want to bring up one of my favorite characters of all the DVC films: Crash Malone from Introspectacle. Bradley Marlow did a fabulous job of creating and playing the loveable rock hound who (literally) "ends up" mortally wounded by one of the things he loves. Speaking of Brad, where in the world is he???

Andrew Hood from the UK is the only DVCer to have blazed the trail with a musical, and he did it with great flare and humor in Brand New Day. I bet I watched that thing a dozen times...at least. Andrew, if you ever read this, I hope you’ll put Brand New Day on YouTube and include it in the DV Challenge group.

While I’m at it, this would be a good time to ask all past DV Challenge participants to upload their films to YouTube and tag them for inclusion in the program that Benjamin Durin built just for the DVC. I’m telling you all, it works GREAT and makes watching past movies a breeze!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benjamin Durin View Post
In this version, the DVC Entry Viewer can display Youtube high quality videos if available.
The video player has now its own window and will resize depending on the original size of the video played.
I noticed that sometimes HQ videos are slower to load so I added a checkbox to enable or disable HQ. Youtube may have a bandwith problem but I believe they will solve this sooner or later.
I could not make work the full screen function with the video in its own window so I removed this function for now. Hope I can solve this problem later.

Install or upgrade to the new version NOW!

Reminder: Youtube tags (or keywords) needed: "dvchallenge" or "thedvchallenge", and "DVC#" where # is the number for the DVC (ie, "DVC11"). Add the tag "winner" if your entry won the first place.
Old October 12th, 2008, 05:58 PM   #4
Major Player

We brought a ten foot ladder with us, among other things, but Mike was the one brave enough to climb up into the tree and tie off the cable. His dog wanted to follow him, but couldn't make it past the first step. She was ecstatic when he finally got back.

The framing was just a matter of a wide lens and some practice runs, as was the timing. You can see a few examples of that in the BTS video I posted, me and Paul trying to keep ahead of the camera, Mike following behind with the rope he used to reset after each take.
Robert Martens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 12th, 2008, 06:04 PM   #5
Major Player

I take it there is another Josh in this thing... That or I really did not know ;-)
Old October 12th, 2008, 06:09 PM   #6
Wrangler

I had to do a search to find it...little wonder you never saw the story. :)
http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/dv-challe...11-closed.html
Old October 12th, 2008, 06:14 PM   #7
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorinda Norton View Post
I had to do a search to find it...little wonder you never saw the story. :)
http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/dv-challe...11-closed.html
hahahhaha. I had seen that but did forget. Ahhhh. Good times :)
Old October 12th, 2008, 06:15 PM   #8
Wrangler

Thanks, Robert. I had forgotten about the footage with Sarah "Pig Legs" and hadn't heard about her wanting to follow Mike up the ladder. Cute dog!
Old October 13th, 2008, 06:27 PM   #9
Inner Circle

Let's also mention there have been plenty of stinkers, because we have all level of film makers here.... and the point is to learn a little more each time you make a film..... and that is honestly the way it works !!

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The Archives > The DV Challenge