DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   The DV Challenge (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/dv-challenge/)
-   -   DVC14 progress (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/dv-challenge/137783-dvc14-progress.html)

Dick Mays November 14th, 2008 02:08 PM

DVC14 progress

Okay, Dylan claims he is out, but I'm suspecting him of sandbagging, and turning in a silent movie masterpiece that will put us all to shame. I've finished shooting, have a rough edit, and feeling pretty good about this one. Two weeks is so sweeet.., makes it a lot easier to work around my schedule with the kids every other weekend. I’m hoping we make at least every other challenge a two week effort.

My favorite part of the DV Challenge is the genuinely supportive feedback that fellow film makers provide. Critique is necessary to get better at anything, but I have entered several film competitions with open internet fan voting, bringing with it the inevitable haters and down voters. Leaves a bad taste in your mouth, when you do something you really like only to read hater comments from anonymous viewers. I love that the DVC voters are the filmmakers and the feedback is mostly from fellow filmmakers.

It looks like we are going to have a good turn out for DVC14. Good luck to all!

Josh Chesarek November 14th, 2008 02:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dick Mays (Post 963764)
Okay, Dylan claims he is out, but I'm suspecting him of sandbagging, and turning in a silent movie masterpiece that will put us all to shame. I've finished shooting, have a rough edit, and feeling pretty good about this one. Two weeks is so sweeet.., makes it a lot easier to work around my schedule with the kids every other weekend. I’m hoping we make at least every other challenge a two week effort.

My favorite part of the DV Challenge is the genuinely supportive feedback that fellow film makers provide. Critique is necessary to get better at anything, but I have entered several film competitions with open internet fan voting, bringing with it the inevitable haters and down voters. Leaves a bad taste in your mouth, when you do something you really like only to read hater comments from anonymous viewers. I love that the DVC voters are the filmmakers and the feedback is mostly from fellow filmmakers.

It looks like we are going to have a good turn out for DVC14. Good luck to all!

I need to start shooting tonight...

Dylan Couper November 14th, 2008 02:55 PM

Err.... Yeah... sandbagging.... :)

No, I'm totally pooched on this one.

ALthough... if I could get a greenscreen....

Josh Chesarek November 14th, 2008 03:18 PM

Oddly enough I just broke mine out for this thing....

Andris Krastins November 15th, 2008 04:14 AM

I've finished shooting and have done about 1/5 of editing. So today is editing day, and tonight I will hopefully upload.

Aaron Fay November 15th, 2008 04:36 AM

Shooting is done, editing's done, FedEx'd my bribes to the judges on Wednesday!

Turns out we may have some objectionable material in the final though, but, too late to turn back now. My lead took a dip in the Clearwater river at a cool 5 dec C (that's about 40F) for this one, so I doubt he's going to want to reshoot...

Been lots of fun, may be best bribe win! Er.. I mean short :)

[edit]Hey! I'm not a tourist anymore![/edit]

Chris Swanberg November 15th, 2008 04:57 AM

Greenscreen on a "Travel Shoot" ??? (gasp)

Dick Mays November 15th, 2008 05:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris Swanberg (Post 963992)
Greenscreen on a "Travel Shoot" ??? (gasp)

How else do you get a rocket ship in space? Was the outhouse on the moon a DVC entry? Seem to recall space travel in a prior DVC.

Lorinda Norton November 15th, 2008 06:30 AM

That wasn't an outhouse, you nut! Robert's dad was living in it, remember? :)

Oh man, I have been up all night editing and I'm not that close to being finished. As a matter of fact I'll be out getting some pickup shots in the morning to fill a few holes.

Bedtime...

p.s. Aaron I never got any bribe. I'll email the address... ;)

Dick Mays November 15th, 2008 08:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lorinda Norton (Post 964016)
That wasn't an outhouse, you nut! Robert's dad was living in it, remember? :)

Remember?

I've been up all night editing. I'm l lucky if I remember to save my project file before exiting (which I didn't)...

Robert Martens November 15th, 2008 10:34 AM

That he was the one living in it is all the more reason to think it's an outhouse, as he'd be the first to tell you.

As it turns out, although the idea was just to show a small wooden shack of some sort, the little model I photographed for that element is, indeed, an outhouse. I had gone to ask him something just before shooting, and saw that thing sitting on top of a cabinet by his computer desk. The rest is history.

Lorinda Norton November 15th, 2008 11:06 AM

Ha ha! Wow, I stand corrected, Dick. I guess you know an outhouse when you see one. :)

Thanks for setting that straight, Robert! By the way, we sure miss you this round...

Andris Krastins November 15th, 2008 11:24 AM

Rendering final version now! :)

Now I just have to upload it to vimeo or youtube and send the link to the official e-mail and that's that, yes?

Robert Martens November 15th, 2008 11:47 AM

I miss me this round, too, Lorinda. With the last few contests keeping sign up open after the theme announcement, I held off to see if I could come up with any ideas. I did, and even wrote one of them out, but there was nothing I could finish in time and be the least bit happy with.

Now that I see that typed out, I think maybe I'm trying to convince myself more than anyone. What the hell? I'll go sign up, I see a sliver of opportunity here.

Eric Gan November 15th, 2008 12:00 PM

Woohoo, ours is locked and uploaded! It was a total guerilla shoot. Our main location was an office which we snuck into at midnight and got out before the first shift started. Nobody suspected a thing. The next day, I got my car stuck in the middle of a muddy field by the airport. Before airport security showed up, we managed to dig ourselves out and get the shots we needed. I love our production stills - maybe even more than the film itself. Ha.