DVC14 progress at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The Archives > The DV Challenge

The DV Challenge
An organized theme-based competition where Content is King!

Old November 14th, 2008, 02:08 PM   #1
Major Player

DVC14 progress

Okay, Dylan claims he is out, but I'm suspecting him of sandbagging, and turning in a silent movie masterpiece that will put us all to shame. I've finished shooting, have a rough edit, and feeling pretty good about this one. Two weeks is so sweeet.., makes it a lot easier to work around my schedule with the kids every other weekend. I’m hoping we make at least every other challenge a two week effort.

My favorite part of the DV Challenge is the genuinely supportive feedback that fellow film makers provide. Critique is necessary to get better at anything, but I have entered several film competitions with open internet fan voting, bringing with it the inevitable haters and down voters. Leaves a bad taste in your mouth, when you do something you really like only to read hater comments from anonymous viewers. I love that the DVC voters are the filmmakers and the feedback is mostly from fellow filmmakers.

It looks like we are going to have a good turn out for DVC14. Good luck to all!
Dick Mays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 14th, 2008, 02:47 PM   #2
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick Mays View Post
Okay, Dylan claims he is out, but I'm suspecting him of sandbagging, and turning in a silent movie masterpiece that will put us all to shame. I've finished shooting, have a rough edit, and feeling pretty good about this one. Two weeks is so sweeet.., makes it a lot easier to work around my schedule with the kids every other weekend. I’m hoping we make at least every other challenge a two week effort.

My favorite part of the DV Challenge is the genuinely supportive feedback that fellow film makers provide. Critique is necessary to get better at anything, but I have entered several film competitions with open internet fan voting, bringing with it the inevitable haters and down voters. Leaves a bad taste in your mouth, when you do something you really like only to read hater comments from anonymous viewers. I love that the DVC voters are the filmmakers and the feedback is mostly from fellow filmmakers.

It looks like we are going to have a good turn out for DVC14. Good luck to all!
I need to start shooting tonight...
Old November 14th, 2008, 02:55 PM   #3
Wrangler

Err.... Yeah... sandbagging.... :)

No, I'm totally pooched on this one.

ALthough... if I could get a greenscreen....
Old November 14th, 2008, 03:18 PM   #4
Major Player

Oddly enough I just broke mine out for this thing....
Old November 15th, 2008, 04:14 AM   #5
Major Player

I've finished shooting and have done about 1/5 of editing. So today is editing day, and tonight I will hopefully upload.
Andris Krastins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 15th, 2008, 04:36 AM   #6
New Boot

Shooting is done, editing's done, FedEx'd my bribes to the judges on Wednesday!

Turns out we may have some objectionable material in the final though, but, too late to turn back now. My lead took a dip in the Clearwater river at a cool 5 dec C (that's about 40F) for this one, so I doubt he's going to want to reshoot...

Been lots of fun, may be best bribe win! Er.. I mean short :)

[edit]Hey! I'm not a tourist anymore![/edit]

Last edited by Aaron Fay; November 15th, 2008 at 04:36 AM. Reason: for fun
Aaron Fay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 15th, 2008, 04:57 AM   #7
Major Player

Greenscreen on a "Travel Shoot" ??? (gasp)
Chris Swanberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 15th, 2008, 05:12 AM   #8
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Swanberg View Post
Greenscreen on a "Travel Shoot" ??? (gasp)
How else do you get a rocket ship in space? Was the outhouse on the moon a DVC entry? Seem to recall space travel in a prior DVC.
Old November 15th, 2008, 06:30 AM   #9
Wrangler

That wasn't an outhouse, you nut! Robert's dad was living in it, remember? :)

Oh man, I have been up all night editing and I'm not that close to being finished. As a matter of fact I'll be out getting some pickup shots in the morning to fill a few holes.

Bedtime...

p.s. Aaron I never got any bribe. I'll email the address... ;)
Old November 15th, 2008, 08:52 AM   #10
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorinda Norton View Post
That wasn't an outhouse, you nut! Robert's dad was living in it, remember? :)

Remember?

I've been up all night editing. I'm l lucky if I remember to save my project file before exiting (which I didn't)...
Old November 15th, 2008, 10:34 AM   #11
Major Player

That he was the one living in it is all the more reason to think it's an outhouse, as he'd be the first to tell you.

As it turns out, although the idea was just to show a small wooden shack of some sort, the little model I photographed for that element is, indeed, an outhouse. I had gone to ask him something just before shooting, and saw that thing sitting on top of a cabinet by his computer desk. The rest is history.
Robert Martens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 15th, 2008, 11:06 AM   #12
Wrangler

Ha ha! Wow, I stand corrected, Dick. I guess you know an outhouse when you see one. :)

Thanks for setting that straight, Robert! By the way, we sure miss you this round...
Old November 15th, 2008, 11:24 AM   #13
Major Player

Rendering final version now! :)

Now I just have to upload it to vimeo or youtube and send the link to the official e-mail and that's that, yes?
Andris Krastins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 15th, 2008, 11:47 AM   #14
Major Player

I miss me this round, too, Lorinda. With the last few contests keeping sign up open after the theme announcement, I held off to see if I could come up with any ideas. I did, and even wrote one of them out, but there was nothing I could finish in time and be the least bit happy with.

Now that I see that typed out, I think maybe I'm trying to convince myself more than anyone. What the hell? I'll go sign up, I see a sliver of opportunity here.
Robert Martens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 15th, 2008, 12:00 PM   #15
Regular Crew

Woohoo, ours is locked and uploaded! It was a total guerilla shoot. Our main location was an office which we snuck into at midnight and got out before the first shift started. Nobody suspected a thing. The next day, I got my car stuck in the middle of a muddy field by the airport. Before airport security showed up, we managed to dig ourselves out and get the shots we needed. I love our production stills - maybe even more than the film itself. Ha.
Eric Gan is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The Archives > The DV Challenge