Submissions - DVC 14 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The Archives > The DV Challenge
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

The DV Challenge
An organized theme-based competition where Content is King!

Old November 17th, 2008, 10:49 AM   #1
Wrangler

Submissions - DVC 14

Submissions are in for this round and we’ll start posting them (probably) tomorrow. I haven’t talked with Dylan yet, but will get back with you on that. For now I just wanted to get the list up:

Andris Krastins "Further Than Distance"
Jeremy Doyle "Interrogated"
Chris Barcellos "Light Rider"
Dick Mays "Candi"
Alex Chamberlain "The Game"
Eric Gan "The Race"
Dennis Kayhe "One Extra Step"
Mugurel Dragusin "Pointless"
Aaron Fay "Double Time"
Lorinda Norton "Hobo By Day"
James Huenergardt "Passport"
Robert Martens "A Plumbing Lesson"
Joseph Tran "Fish Like to Travel in Pairs"

If you submitted a film and your name isn’t listed, shoot us an email right away!
Old November 17th, 2008, 11:05 AM   #2
Wrangler

Now that the list is up I have a complaint of my own about Vimeo. We allowed folks to use that rather than YouTube this time and now I can't watch two of the films to make sure they're okay. And it's not just me and my four machines here; people are emailing me about my film on Vimeo, too--telling me that even with the latest Flash update they can't watch and had to find it on YouTube.

It's got me in kind of a bad mood....

If those of you who uploaded to Vimeo-only would consider also giving us a YouTube link that would be much appreciated.
Old November 17th, 2008, 11:09 AM   #3
Major Player

Lorinda,

Is my film one of them? I can send a different link if you need it.
Old November 17th, 2008, 11:14 AM   #4
Wrangler

That would be great, Jim. With MUCH wrangling (going to my Vimeo page first--when I can get Vimeo to load at all--then your profile, then at least two extra steps) I can watch 16 seconds of your film before it hangs.

Thanks! :)

Most of the time I need to have HD turned off when I watch anything on Vimeo; otherwise it tells me the video is no longer available. I appreciate the site and the quality it provides--but only when it works.
Old November 17th, 2008, 11:29 AM   #5
Major Player

I just got called out on a flight (my 'real' job is an air ambulance pilot). When I get back, I'll get you that link.
Old November 17th, 2008, 12:42 PM   #6
Major Player

uploading to youtube now, will send url in approximately, oh I don't know, youtube doesn't show you a progress bar. I'll send it when it finishes I guess. ;o)
Dennis Khaye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 17th, 2008, 01:57 PM   #7
Major Player

I uploaded my video both on Vimeo and Youtube - for those of us with slower connections.
I haven't had any problems with Vimeo playback neither on Linux or on Windows.
Andris Krastins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 17th, 2008, 02:11 PM   #8
Major Player

By the way, about Vimeo, I noticed that they updated their player recently and now it pre-buffers quite a lot of the video before playing it, so maybe that's the issue and you should just wait a bit longer for the playback to start.

The buffering is indicated by a sort of a zebra bar on the progress line.

edit: on the other hand, it doesn't explain the issue with 'video not available'...
Old November 17th, 2008, 03:29 PM   #9
Wrangler

I had managed to watch yours earlier, Dennis, so didn't think about it. Thank you!

Andris, I am not sure why some of us have so much trouble with playback on Vimeo. I'd think it was just me but have noticed quite a few comments on their forum reflecting it. It may have something to do with older machines--I don't know. Some days it works and some days it doesn't, but for me it's been the past several days straight, regardless of the time.

I thought about the buffering deal--an hour wait probably should have been enough. (I didn't sit there that long.) :)
Old November 17th, 2008, 03:38 PM   #10
Major Player

While you're here, I want to ask something about the dvchallenge guidelines I don't understand.

It says: Please do not post links to your film publicly before we officially release it in the week following the deadline. After the deadline, we encourage you to promote it as much as you can.

So does that mean that I can post a link to my video after the deadline, or should I wait before you put a link to my video in this forum? (I'm afraid one of the actors already posted a link to the youtube version in his blog). The second sentence in those guidelines, I think, contradicts with the the first .

The second - would this rule also apply to adding the video to groups and channels in Vimeo?

Thanks
Old November 17th, 2008, 03:50 PM   #11
Regular Crew

Before the YouTube requirement, there was a certain level of anticipation as a few films were released daily. I think it was also designed so that the judges weren't overwhelmed with all the films in one day. However, since the tags on YouTube/Vimeo made it so easy to search for the films, I think most of us have already watched them before the official release by Dylan/Lorinda.

Perhaps a new rule needs to be made so that the online videos aren't tagged with DVC until after release. Personally, I have no patience to wait for a few each day. I say release them all and let the judging begin!

What do you guys think?
Eric Gan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 17th, 2008, 03:53 PM   #12
Major Player

I too have already watched most of the submissions, several times in fact. Found them in Youtube and Vimeo.
Old November 17th, 2008, 04:05 PM   #13
Wrangler

Dylan and I have talked about releasing them here all at once now that they can't be kept under wraps as they were in the "old days." We still release them a few at a time so that film makers and their films get "their day in the sun." It makes the feedback a little more meaningful and less of a frenzy, as well, if we wait until a film has been posted to comment. I know it seems like "what's the difference since we've seen them all" but just humor us here, okay? You know what they say about patience... :)

In answer to your other comment, Eric, I didn't tag mine yet but noticed it has been viewed quite a bit, so even waiting on the tags won't stop folks from seeing them before they're posted here.

All that to say, Andris, that the portion of the rules you quoted was pretty much rendered obsolete when we started uploading to YouTube. :)
Old November 17th, 2008, 04:07 PM   #14
Inner Circle

At the UWOL Challenge, they post all links (which are actually upload to their site) all on the same day. Of course the tradition here has been the daily post of about a 1/4 of the films, and that adds some drama. Of course, with YouTube an and Vimeo tags, I have been able to watch most too. In the old days of this event, we had to post our own on our own servers... though once in a while someone did use YouTube.

Which one do I prefer ? I like the idea of being able to look at films when I want to. That might mean I have more time at the beginning of the release period, rather than the last, so I am for letting the individual decide and posting all links at one time. Just my preference, and not a deal breaker...
Old November 17th, 2008, 04:15 PM   #15
Major Player

Lorinda, I found your DVC14 entry after looking at your Leprechauns video from the previous DVC, noticed a new video, and... ;)
So I agree that posting no tags won't change anything much.

About the guidelines, I think it then would be a good idea to update them, folks go to thedvchallenge.com link in our films (thedvchallenge presents) and don't find anything there, the page hasn't been updated in years.

Oh, and I don't get redirected to the dvchallenge blogspot page too, I've tried several browsers.
Andris Krastins is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The Archives > The DV Challenge