DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   The DV Challenge (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/dv-challenge/)
-   -   DVC 14 Judging (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/dv-challenge/138254-dvc-14-judging.html)

Lorinda Norton November 22nd, 2008 10:48 AM

DVC 14 Judging

On to the judging! Here are the guidelines:

Just pick your top three films, and email your #1 #2 and #3 choices to thedvchallenge@gmail.com

Please include both the filmmakers name and the film title.

Have your vote e-mailed by Monday night, Nov. 24. The winner will be announced on Tuesday.

So how do you pick your top three films? Voting should be weighted 50% for production quality, and 50% for use of theme/story. If you need help, here is a system Dylan has used almost since the start. In his words:

Each time I watch a film I give it two ratings out of 10. One for how well it uses the theme, one for overall production value. I write them down in order as I go, and if I find that they stack up better or worse to other films, I move their points up and down a little bit.

For example:
________Theme/Story ______ Production
Film A________9_____________ 9.5
Film B________8______________9
Film C________7______________7
Film D________5______________7
Film E________8______________3

By the end I find I have a list that represents fairly accurately what I would have chosen anyway, and no films get forgotten. I will go back and rewatch my top 5 just to make sure they are as I remember them.

If you didn't enter a film for DVC14, you do not get to vote. And as usual, no voting for your own film!

Chris Barcellos November 22nd, 2008 11:51 PM

Dang, this is hard !!! Usually, in these contests, there are one or two films that will stand out. But as I got down to looking at this entries, what one may have lost to technical aspects, was gained back in great acting, or story line....and vice versa.... Great job everyone.

Lorinda Norton November 23rd, 2008 12:38 PM

Yes, it’s quite an interesting field this time! They’re always really competitive, but I agree that this one seems particularly tough. Great, great films.

By the way, I forgot to mention that as much as mine falls into that category (heh heh) it’s not in the running. For that one fine and discriminating film maker who gave my flick a nod…it’s much appreciated! …but thanks for changing your vote. :)

I’m watching them all again today to try and narrow down the choices. The cool thing is--I’m looking forward to it!

Jeremy Doyle November 23rd, 2008 09:45 PM

All I can say is WOW are this rounds films good! I don't know if it was the extra week or if it's been a while since the last one or what. But this the best round of films in recent history if not ever.

GREAT JOB EVERYONE!!!

James Huenergardt November 25th, 2008 03:14 PM

OK, anyone else getting tired of the F5 key?

Jesse Steele November 25th, 2008 03:55 PM

hahahahaha I sure am!!!1 f5 f5 f5 f5 f5.....f5

Lorinda Norton November 25th, 2008 04:07 PM

LOL! Okay, fellas--you can relax and save wear 'n tear on your keyboards. Just got word from Dylan that it'll be a couple more hours yet!

But then, he rarely goes according to plan, so....could be sooner, could be later. ;)

Jesse Steele November 25th, 2008 04:45 PM

...you're killing us...you know that right?

James Huenergardt November 25th, 2008 04:48 PM

It feels like the 2000 election all over again...

Lorinda Norton November 25th, 2008 04:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by James Huenergardt (Post 968980)
It feels like the 2000 election all over again...

That's what I've been thinking!

But for me maybe it's been more like that part of The Sting where the guy is waiting like crazy for a race with the right odds to come over the wire--don't ask me why, but that's what keeps going through my head...

Lorinda Norton November 25th, 2008 05:01 PM

Just heard from Dylan...this horse race is over!

Hang on...

James Huenergardt November 25th, 2008 05:11 PM

Now my F5 key is really going to get a workout...