How's it going? - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The Archives > The DV Challenge
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

The DV Challenge
An organized theme-based competition where Content is King!

Old September 22nd, 2009, 10:26 AM   #16
Wrangler

Good for you, Andris! :D I wonder if anyone else is shooting an entire film.

Can't wait to see it; hope it's smooth sailing for you!

And for the rest of us, too. Twenty days to the deadline!
Old September 22nd, 2009, 10:46 AM   #17
Regular Crew

I wish I could shoot the full short, but unfortunately I scripted in things like aliens and helicopters. I don't think I can pull off aliens and helicopters by 31 October.
Daniel Bates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 25th, 2009, 03:33 PM   #18
Major Player

Shot in 3 countries on 2 continents so far and hope I can get everything done in time. Will see :)
Old September 26th, 2009, 08:26 AM   #19
Major Player

I may have something ready that I can use from a short I started shooting yesterday. It would just be the first minute or so but I think it's intriguing enough to be a teaser/trailer on its own. I just have to shoot one or two more scenes to finish it up.

Mike
Old September 26th, 2009, 04:02 PM   #20
New Boot

Well, I managed to get a proper bit of shooting done today, not as much as I had hoped mind you. It's the first time I've done anything like this, and I quickly discovered that I don't enjoy acting in my own films. The lack of control when handing the camera over to a friend is very disconcerting!

Anyway, I was feeling a little bored this evening, so I put together a few bits of the footage to make a short action clip: YouTube - DVC17 Chase

There's no sound, so don't worry your speakers aren't broken. Oh and the poor image quality totally isn't my fault. It's the camera that sucks... that's my story and I'm sticking with it!
Craig Yates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 26th, 2009, 05:56 PM   #21
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Yates View Post
It's the first time I've done anything like this, and I quickly discovered that I don't enjoy acting in my own films.
Welcome to the club! I run in to the same thing myself; I usually end up handing the role of camera operator over to my dad in those situations, so I feel comfortable enough (we work together on a regular basis, and have a handle on how to understand one another; not to mention the masking-tape-and-pen-mark system, like we used on my last movie, which certainly helps with those hard to frame shots), but it still feels weird to get so excited about all the camera related stuff on these projects and then have to get someone else to do it. On top of that I'm never fond of my acting, either, but it beats trying to direct somebody else without knowing anything about how to talk to actors (let alone how to make non actors comfortable enough to deliver convincing performances).

I just made some decent progress on my movie, though it's rather pitiable by anyone else's standards. Two weeks in and I only just got a treatment done. A measly four pages, took me two weeks. Lots of obnoxious, difficult decisions that my brain just didn't want to focus on. Finally got past that, though, and put together a little synopsis to help me picture the whole story. It's overkill for a trailer competition, I suppose, but I do intend to make the feature length movie sooner or later, so I figured this is as good a time as any to prepare. The more of this I finish up front the more sense the trailer will make, right? Though with my track record it'll still be indecipherable.

Now I just need to decide what to shoot for the trailer, get it done, and go from there.
Robert Martens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 27th, 2009, 04:48 PM   #22
Regular Crew

So I think I have realized something when it comes to these challenges. I always try to push myself to the limits. Reaching for the clouds, knowing full well that I will not obtain these clouds but learn tremendous in the process. This time we have only just started to shoot, and we have a shot planned next weekend with 50+ extras... This might be the most difficult shot I have ever had to put together and as much as I want to win (and win the prizes) I am happy just learning new things.
Clint Harmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 29th, 2009, 08:53 AM   #23
New Boot

So I roped in a couple of people to help over the weekend, and now I'm almost finished. Pretty much all that's left to do is dubbing the dialogue, and recording some music for it. I wish I hadn't used copyrighted songs as placeholders now, I won't be able to replace them with anything as good!

The final result has turned out fairly differently to what I originally intended: didn't have the time to record several planned scenes, so I had to rework the premise somewhat during editing. I'm still reasonably happy with it though.
Craig Yates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 29th, 2009, 11:00 AM   #24
Wrangler

Wow! You guys are doing great! And putting me to shame...

We finally shot 15 minutes of footage last night; of that I will use about 10 seconds. At this rate I should be finished around December.
Old September 29th, 2009, 06:30 PM   #25
Major Player

I figured it out

Have an idea, shoot the script, forget the script, use out takes, change themes and edit like crazy... Yep works for me.... again... Almost done...
Old September 29th, 2009, 06:46 PM   #26
Major Player

I'm filming right now. dvinfo.net is one of my props.
Bill Thesken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 29th, 2009, 08:29 PM   #27
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Bellaire View Post
Have an idea, shoot the script, forget the script, use out takes, change themes and edit like crazy... Yep works for me.... again... Almost done...
HA HA. And here I thought I was the only one who did that...
Clint Harmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 4th, 2009, 10:39 AM   #28
Inner Circle

Location: Vancouver, British Columbia (formerly Winnipeg, Manitoba) Canada
Yeah, um... hmmm...

Taking a break while things render and realized that the second I announced to my clients I was moving, the flood gates opened up. Everything is storyboarded, GREAT concept (in my HUMBLE opinion!), locations scouted, ready to go and... got no time!

Bowing out only SOMEWHAT gracefully as I was THRILLED with my concept but won't be able to see it through...

Boo!

Good luck to all of you non-quitters!
Old October 4th, 2009, 04:12 PM   #29
Major Player

This morning got back from a 900km road trip and then straight to our first day of real filming.
It's my karma or something, but it's always my luck to film in the most dreadful of conditions, in this case - heavy showers and in pitch dark with only a tiny flashlight (didn't manage to get a real light).

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2584/...02e0fd88bf.jpg

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2423/...d848639e3a.jpg
Andris Krastins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 4th, 2009, 06:29 PM   #30
Regular Crew

I just found out I'll be on missions straight through the 11th... :(

...so I've got three hours to finish my trailer!
Daniel Bates is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The Archives > The DV Challenge