Dv Challenge #2 - Rules - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The Archives > The DV Challenge

The DV Challenge
An organized theme-based competition where Content is King!

Old June 17th, 2005, 03:40 AM   #16
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dylan Couper
Scoring:
50% on use of theme, 50% on production value. Technical theme is judged separately. Awards to Best Picture, Runner Up, and Best Use Of Technical Theme.
Dylan,

Is it possible to add a scoring category for artistic merit? It seems as is stands that if you produce a truly meaningless piece that solidly fits the theme and looks great you will win.

This seems a lot different than Challenge #1:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dylan Couper
No, you will not be judged on camera/picture quality. Whether you shoot on HDV or a $500 one chip camera makes no difference. The story you write and the way you deliver it will represent the majority of your score. Production value will fit into your score, but the camera itself is not important.
I would really like to see a 1-5 (or 1-10) each for Theme, Production Value, and Artistic Merit (which can include script, acting, etc.).

But that's me :).

Thanks again for running it.
Old June 17th, 2005, 08:46 AM   #17
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barry Gribble
Dylan,

Is it possible to add a scoring category for artistic merit? It seems as is stands that if you produce a truly meaningless piece that solidly fits the theme and looks great you will win.

This seems a lot different than Challenge #1:
It's basicaly the same as how we scored #1. :)

If it fits the theme, how can it be meaningless? The artistic aspect is how you deal with the theme, and that goes beyond just dialogue. If someone incorperated the theme somehow else into their film then.... Hmm... Maybe I'm giving too much of a hint. Nevermind.
Old June 18th, 2005, 09:44 AM   #18
Wrangler

I'm heading out of town until the 28th, if you have any general questions please post them, if you have any urgent questions, please forward them to my hotmail account. Thanks!
Old July 6th, 2005, 05:39 PM   #19
Wrangler

EVERYONE GETS A FREEBIE!!!
I'm working on a shoot tomorrow, and will not be home in time to post the theme for DV Challenge #2, therefore, I will be posting it tomorrow MORNING, instead of 6pm PST. This gives y'all an extra 12 hours! You’re welcome! Don't waste it!

Just an FYI for first timers:
By this point you should have some sort of shooting schedule in place, and a cast and crew, even if it is only yourself and your cat.
A safe schedule would be something like:
-Brainstorm ideas Thursday night.
-Write script and gather resources Friday.
-Shoot Saturday. Capture footage Saturday night.
-Re-shoot ugly footage Sunday. (just kidding)
-Edit, edit, edit in all your free time until Tuesday.
-Get it online Wednesday.
-Go out and party Thursday and Friday night, but not before sending me the link to your movie.
Old July 7th, 2005, 09:03 AM   #20
Wrangler

New email!

thedvchallenge@hotmail.com
Old July 13th, 2005, 05:58 AM   #21
Regular Crew

Ah shame on me

It it seems as if the only exercise I get lately is "jumping to conclusions" or in this case "Jumping to challenges". My first "shame" award for having to back out, however I am consoled in that at the last minute my best client hired me for a project that will permit me to build a DIY killer box for photo retouching and .... AND NLE video editing.
Yours,
Tom
Miami, Florida
Tom Elliott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 13th, 2005, 07:05 AM   #22
Major Player

Not sure why I didn't cancel weeks ago.. (wishful thinking rocks!). Sign me up for the wall of shame. The indy feature I'm working on this summer (Deadlands - DoP) goes into production this weekend and I was hoping to get something done before that started. But all I've been doing the last week is getting ready for that.

No dice.. maybe next time.
Old July 13th, 2005, 08:21 AM   #23
Major Player

I almost broke my arm this weekend because of a chair accident, and so I just basically today feel comfortable getting back to being a DP, so I doubt that I'll be able to turn one in.
Tom Wills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 13th, 2005, 09:23 AM   #24
Wrangler

Everyone's got a story... :)

SOrry guys, unless someone dies or you are doing 16 hour days on a feature, there is no excuse. Anyone can find 3 hours to whip up a one minute piece for the competition. Wall of Shame it is!
Old July 13th, 2005, 03:06 PM   #25
Major Player

No biggy.

I dunno.. I wasn't feeling terribly inspired by the topic. It's a fine topic, the gods just didn't strike me with the inspiration I needed.

(quasi-excuse) FWIW, my best friends father did pass away last week (very close - like a 2nd father growing up). I started thinking about doing something relating to that (there are some family secrets.. legends.. etc - respectful of course - a tribute) but for various reasons just couldn't make it work.

Maybe next time.
Old July 14th, 2005, 12:37 AM   #26
Regular Crew

Dylan,
I can't remember if last time we were able to view the shorts before a winner was announced. Will we be able to this time? I'd love to watch them all and decide which one I think was the best before the winner is revealed.
Mitchell Stookey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 14th, 2005, 01:17 AM   #27
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitchell Stookey
Dylan,
I can't remember if last time we were able to view the shorts before a winner was announced. Will we be able to this time? I'd love to watch them all and decide which one I think was the best before the winner is revealed.
I think so. On saturday all links are published and on sunday the winner is revealed. I am gonna hand in my entry today...
Fredrik-Larsson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 14th, 2005, 01:30 AM   #28
Inner Circle

Erm, I'm on track to the wall of shame. I'm probably going to be working till 6*AM* today capturing tapes (because some spots should be done by friday before client leaves for India).
Glenn Chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 14th, 2005, 02:06 AM   #29
Wrangler

We will probably announce the winners Sunday night, or Monday morning, but post links to the contestants Saturday night.
Old July 14th, 2005, 05:41 AM   #30
Major Player

Yup, nail me to the wall. I got a rush paying gig, and, well, did I mention it was paying?

Good luck to all.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The Archives > The DV Challenge