The Cask Of Malta: DV challange #2 movie at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The Archives > The DV Challenge
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

The DV Challenge
An organized theme-based competition where Content is King!

Old July 17th, 2005, 09:13 PM   #1
Major Player

The Cask Of Malta: DV challenge #2 movie

http://home.comcast.net/~raffertygibbons/malta2.mov

Shot over four days, with a sony pdx10.
I welcome any questions or coments.

edit: warning, the audio is too loud at the end.
Thanks
Michael

edit: I have changed the link to a version with slightly better audio
" When some wild-eyed, eight foot tall maniac grabs your neck, taps the back of your favorite head against a bar room wall, and looks you crooked in the eye, and he asks you if you've payed your dues, well, you just stare that big suker right back in the eye, and you remember what old Jack Burton always says at a time like that, 'Have you paid your dues, Jack? Yes sir, the check is in the mail."

Last edited by Michael Gibbons; July 18th, 2005 at 01:24 PM.
Michael Gibbons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 17th, 2005, 09:45 PM   #2
Trustee

A bit dark, but not too bad. My main complaint is the uneven audio. I watch movies after my wife goes to bed. Yours was hovering below -30 dB and then got louder, to about -18, then all of a sudden peaked the meter at zero!

There is only audio in the left speaker even though the track is stereo.

If I had been wearing earphones, I would have busted my eardrums. As it is, it merely woke up my wife.

I understand the desire for shock value, but peaking the meter is just unreasonable. Double the audio from -18 to -12 - that should be sufficient. Although probably still too loud.
Old July 17th, 2005, 09:56 PM   #3
Space Hipster

I also was glad to have quality amp/speakers otherwise I might have blow something too. Fix the audio is a good recommendation.
Old July 17th, 2005, 09:57 PM   #4
Major Player

The uneven audio was more a matter of ineptitude than any concious desire to shock. sorry. when you say "dark", do you mean the lighting of the piece, or the mood?
" When some wild-eyed, eight foot tall maniac grabs your neck, taps the back of your favorite head against a bar room wall, and looks you crooked in the eye, and he asks you if you've payed your dues, well, you just stare that big suker right back in the eye, and you remember what old Jack Burton always says at a time like that, 'Have you paid your dues, Jack? Yes sir, the check is in the mail."
Michael Gibbons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 17th, 2005, 11:07 PM   #5
Trustee

Both actually. The lighting could have used some work. Perhaps just playing with the levels if it really had to be done after the fact. The story is a bit dark as well, but that usually isn't a problem. :)
Old July 20th, 2005, 05:39 PM   #6
Wrangler

And now for my feedback.

Funny story, because the dialogue was so low, I turned my KLIPSCH 4.1 system up to about 60% to hear it (from the 20% it is normally at).... Yeah, I bet you know how this ends... :)
While deafening me doesn't cost you any points, the other audio issues may have. I really think you had something with this story, but I would like to have seen a little more develop around the end, and less of the beginning, if I had to balance time out.
One of my top five favorites for sure though.
Old July 20th, 2005, 05:47 PM   #7
Major Player

Thanks Dylan

The audio issue has been addressed, and I will have a better Idea of what I can do with three minutes next time- more development fro the end was written, and some of it was shot, but there was no time to include it.
Thank you for your kind words.
Michael Gibbons is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The Archives > The DV Challenge