DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   The DV Challenge (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/dv-challenge/)
-   -   Secret Fear: DV Challenge #2 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/dv-challenge/47877-secret-fear-dv-challenge-2-a.html)

Chris Thiele July 18th, 2005 12:02 AM

Secret Fear: DV Challenge #2

Here's the link: http://www.dsvid.com/DVinfo/

Basic details:
Camera: Sony PDX10p
Software: Ulead MSP
Lights: Tungsten globe
Blue Screen: Double bed sheet (blueish)
Team: Me, myself and I.

Trying to come up with an idea to keep off the "Wall of Shame" gave me the idea. My pride said I had to submit something.
Originally was going to get assistance from a couple of people, but they came down with the flu.
Rained most of the week, had scouted out a wall for filming. Early morning - break in weather, raced to film and a car had parked in front of it, begged for the driver to move, relunctently gave me 20seconds to get my shot. Had some fun trying the blue screen etc.

Comments welcome.

Stephen van Vuuren July 18th, 2005 12:03 AM

Nice idea, well excuted.

Lorinda Norton July 18th, 2005 01:02 PM

Hi Chris,

I really got a kick out of your movie! (It got even better the second time around.)

When you added the "e" to "Challnge" I laughed out loud! And the way you broke out in that sweat! You know, humor is so subjective; it's all a matter of taste. And I happen to think yours is funny! You did a good job of shooting/editing, too. :)

Meryem Ersoz July 18th, 2005 02:17 PM

this was probably my personal favorite. very amusing. i thought that dropped "e" sight gag was pretty dang funny, too.

Jeff Sayre July 18th, 2005 02:44 PM

My wife and I laughed the whole time! We were not sure what conclusion you were building to, but when it came, it was LOL funny!

Having done a little VFX in my short also, I truly appreciated your effects. This was a great idea that was well executed.

I bet you got tired of humming/singing the theme to MI.

Chris Thiele July 18th, 2005 05:39 PM

Thanks everyone for your comments. Sometimes when you get buried in your own world, tunnel vision sets in, or is that monitor vision. But I did have a bit of fun making it.

Daniel Kohl July 18th, 2005 06:00 PM

Chris,

I really, really, liked your piece.

I think the art of simplicity is the finest.

Very funny in my opinion. I could see how the circumstances were dictating the development of the idea. That gives it a natural, improvised humor that is funny because it is based somehow on reality.

I love your vision of the "wall of shame". I think that that would be a good theme for a future challenge.

Mitchell Stookey July 18th, 2005 08:25 PM

I also really enjoyed your short. Lots of laughs. How did you get your monitor to look so good?

Jonathan Jones July 18th, 2005 10:26 PM

I loved your film. Very funny. I tend to think some of it might get a little lost on folks not on the 'inside' of the challenge in general, but your whole premise leading up the wall of shame was a total hoot, and I loved the effect. You threw in several little entertaining diversions to coincide with the ever increasingly frustrated 'soundtrack' and it worked so well. As you progressed through the days, I am sure you quite accurately portrayed what several folks in the challenge were also feeling. I thought you submitted a very clever piece. Thanks for sharing your work.
-Jon

Chris Thiele July 20th, 2005 03:00 AM

And the winners of DV Challenge #2 are....

Best Score
Chris Thiele –
Secret Fear

While not technically perfect, it was, ahem, unique. J

What fun. Congratulations to the real winners:
Daniel Kohl -
Mitchell Stookey -
SEAN McHENRY-

I had some fun. So Next time!!! Look out Guys!!!
Hey maybe next time Meryem Ersoz could be one of the judges- Meryem displays good taste ;)

Dylan Couper July 20th, 2005 05:07 PM

Hey Chris
I enjoyed it, quite funny, but the pace started to drag a little. The score was just damn funny, and I like the depiction of the Wall Of Shame. I would have liked to have seen more hints of the "secret fear" earlier in it.
Good solid entry.

Dylan

Dylan Couper August 2nd, 2005 02:34 PM

Chris
I need your address to send you your certificate for "Best Score". :)
Email me at thedvchallenge@hotmail.com
Dylan