All Good Dogs: DV Challenge #2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The Archives > The DV Challenge

The DV Challenge
An organized theme-based competition where Content is King!

Old July 18th, 2005, 09:51 AM   #1
Wrangler

All Good Dogs: DV Challenge #2

comments welcome....

"All Good Dogs"
http://www.ourmedia.org/node/29794
http://ia108620.us.archive.org/1/it...Allgooddogs.mov

to view this thing, you need Quicktime 7 or greater.

shot on a GL2 in 16:9 with a soft fx1 filter
using a tiffen steady stick (for the first time)
a promaster 6030 desktop tripod for dog-level shots
and a truck-mounted bogen manfrotto 3021P/3030
edited in FCP 4.5

i signed up for this to put some pressure on myself to figure out web delivery for my videos, which i've been ignoring, and i'm still trying to #$%^%&^& figure it out. clearly, QT 7 is not yet a commonly available delivery system.

in looking through the others' submissions, my mind is blown by how web-literate so many of you are, with all the multiple versions and platforms. it was all i could do to get one version online by friday.

also a confession: it exceeds the 3-minute time limit, but i edited a few 3-minute versions and found them to be too shallow and uninteresting...dylan was kind enough not to DQ me (which i wholly expected, to be honest), because as he said, "much of it is a dog running around."

ah, but what a dog!

big thanks to dylan! he has been exceedingly patient with me! i completely understand why he drinks!
Meryem Ersoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 18th, 2005, 10:25 AM   #2
Wrangler

I watched the movie on Ourmedia, but unfortunately it didn't come out as widescreen. I would only have to disagree with one thing in your movie, I actually own the 'best dog in the world'. (big grin)

I can see why you would say that, since Violet is a lab and so is my dog, Misty (black lab). They are the best dogs in the world!

regards,

-gb-

p.s. Factoid: Labrador Retrievers are the most registered breed in th AKC.
Greg Boston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 22nd, 2005, 07:02 AM   #3
Major Player

Nice job. I actually watched the whole thing and that says something, LOL
Bill Porter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 22nd, 2005, 07:09 AM   #4
Trustee

While he has his troubles, I like mine (dog) - Whipet. "Whipit good"

Sean

http://www.DeepBlueEdit.com
Sean McHenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 22nd, 2005, 09:06 AM   #5
Wrangler

let's hijack this thread for more dog discussion! i love wrangling over who has the world's greatest pooch. it's at least as productive over debating XL2 v. DVX100 or mac v. PC or streaming v. downloadable video, maybe even more so!

what say you, video heads?

violet: photogenic, but her fatal flaw is she is a horrible shedder

whippets who lived next door (both have passed into dog heaven) very sweet and gentle but a bit smelly.
Old July 22nd, 2005, 09:56 AM   #6
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meryem Ersoz
let's hijack this thread for more dog discussion! i love wrangling over who has the world's greatest pooch. it's at least as productive over debating XL2 v. DVX100 or mac v. PC or streaming v. downloadable video, maybe even more so!

what say you, video heads?

violet: photogenic, but her fatal flaw is she is a horrible shedder

whippets who lived next door (both have passed into dog heaven) very sweet and gentle but a bit smelly.
Well technically, we need to start another thread in the open discussion area. I have some good footage of Misty that I will put on the web in a few days. Will send you the link when I'm done.

-gb-
Old July 22nd, 2005, 09:26 PM   #7
Regular Crew

now we see a "best in show" sequel in dvinfo.
let's see the nominees for the categories. small dogs, middle sized dogs, big ones, really really big ones
Old July 22nd, 2005, 11:11 PM   #8
Major Player

Meryem,

Nice footage.

QT 7 is a fine delivery method, but, H.264 is not ready for prime time yet. I noticed that was the codec you used.

I've found QT to be the most accessible format for cross platform compatibility. However, to insure a wider audience at this time, choose Sorensen 3 or MPEG 4 as your codec. Also, you can specify the frame size you want so that it will play back widescreen. I downloaded your movie and changed the frame size to 428x240 for the proper 16:9 aspect ratio and it can be found here daveperry.net/Allgooddogs.mov
Old July 26th, 2005, 08:53 AM   #9
Wrangler

wow, dave, that is so awesome and exactly the type of advice i was looking for (on a separate thread about H.264 and its proponents/detractors)...i kind of knew that i needed to do something to restore the 16:9 proportions, but i had run out of time to figure it out to meet the DVC#2 deadline. now i can go back and fix it. most excellent.

i'm still waiting on greg's Misty footage...we need to get moving on the all-dog footage thread!

maybe what we really need is an exclusive DVinfo.net dog show thread! we could have an online best in show with winners in two categories: best dog and best dog cinematography. i will kick in a free years' supply of Meaty Bones to the winner in the best dog category. and a free box of miniDV tapes (human equivalent of Meaty Bones) to the cinematographer.

sean mchenry, i am expecting big output from you and your whippet! make 'im shine!
Old July 26th, 2005, 10:14 AM   #10
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meryem Ersoz

i'm still waiting on greg's Misty footage...we need to get moving on the all-dog footage thread!
It might be a a few weeks away because I have a couple of 'paying' deadlines to meet.:)

-gb-
Old July 26th, 2005, 06:54 PM   #11
Wrangler

My 2 year old Doberman, Gryffin, and I will enter the dog show. Both of us like Meaty Bones.
Old August 3rd, 2005, 08:13 AM   #12
Wrangler

hi dave: just wanted to thank you again for the encoding advice. i managed to re-work my video and to get several other things online, properly formatted, so i feel pretty happy about that.

one additional question: i went ahead and (somewhat arbitrarily) encoded in mp4. any chance you can explain the difference between sorenson video 3 and mp4. is there any reason one codec might be better than the other between these two options? (wider availability, superior output, download speed?, etc.)

also, i put up a widescreen version of All Good Dogs at: http://www.ourmedia.org/node/37279

thank you so much for putting the widescreen version up for me on your site--it was really a nice thing to do, and seeing it in widescreen really motivated me to get cracking on figuring out how to do it right on my own. teach a girl to fish, etc., etc.
Old August 3rd, 2005, 08:24 AM   #13
Major Player

Meryem,

Glad I could help.

Here's a great article at Kenstone.net that explains the ins and outs of encoding for the web and also explains the differences between MPEG4 and Sorenson, as well as why to use one over the other.

Keep up the good work and feel free to contact me in the future.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The Archives > The DV Challenge