DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   The DV Challenge (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/dv-challenge/)
-   -   An idea for DVC3... in the style of PGL (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/dv-challenge/47961-idea-dvc3-style-pgl.html)

Bryan Mitchell July 19th, 2005 09:24 AM

An idea for DVC3... in the style of PGL

I think it would be cool to have a challenge done in the style of project greenlight (3).
http://projectgreenlight.liveplanet....assignment.pdf

The judges create 3 pages of script with holes, and the directors fill them in.

CHARACTER
What's your name?

CHARACTER
[7 WORD OR LESS RESPONSE]

CHARACTER
You remind me of [ANY CELEBRITY/HISTORICAL FIGURE]

Like that... What do you think?

Here is the outline of the rules they are using from the PGL3 website.
The scene is written to be as ambiguous as possible as to tone, character, gender, setting, circumstances, etc.
Contestants must select 2 of the 3 pages, combine them in the order of their choosing and shoot a single short film between 3 and 5 minutes in length. Additionally, you must add OR select dialog as prompted. Otherwise, the script must be played verbatim; however, pace - pauses, mumbles, gesticulations - are entirely up to you.
It is entirely up to you to decide how many characters are interacting in the scenes, how many locations are used, how many scenes you break the dialogue into, and whether or not the scenes are related or completely standalone. The only requirement is that at least one character must communicate all of the lines in the script. It’s up to you whether the lines are spoken, titled, in a foreign language, in slang. But ONLY the lines listed may be used and ALL lines must be used.
Items underlined and italicized are for you to select (for example: if the script has “he/she goes outside” it’s up to you to decide whether this will read “'he goes outside,” or “'she goes outside”). You must select and use one of the offered choices.

Sean McHenry July 19th, 2005 09:36 AM

Interesting and yet complex at the same time. Seems like a decent starting point.

Sean

Michael Gibbons July 19th, 2005 10:08 AM

I see the attraction and all, but, not to disagree or anything, but...

personally, I think the contest should continue with the minimal level of restriction it has right now. I just don't have ANY interest in working in someone else's line of dialouge into my work. I want to participate in the challenge, but I also want to make my movies the way i want to make them. If I had had to work in a line of dialouge into the last one i would have been doomed. The exchange you give in example would take maybe 20 seconds of screen time - over 10% of the three minute alotment. No thanks.

Stephen van Vuuren July 19th, 2005 10:14 AM

Something in between. I don't mind working in a line of dialogue from someone else, but not whole pages. Having a number of elements is fun (like the 48 Hour Film Festival), but just shooting someone else's script is not near as much fun.

Sean McHenry July 19th, 2005 10:38 AM

Maybe think of it more as an exercise than a contest. If you are the DP, you don't get to choose the dialog the writer, producer and director have choosen you to shoot. It becomes your job to interpret the lighting designer and set designers ideas and choose angles and lenses to achieve the directors goals.

There could be other exercises to get us thinking on different levels of production but perhaps it wouldn't make the best contest after all.

I think there could be a static board with exercises posted and whoever wants to work through them could but simply as a learning thing. A similar idea could be to use a low angle shot in a short or to use sound effects or night time shooting, outdoors shooting, natural surroundings, that sort of thing.

Sean McHenry

Stephen van Vuuren July 19th, 2005 10:41 AM

True - I've seen some other boards in the past post exercises to focus on various areas of production. That would be a good idea in-between challenges.

But to me the big "challenge" in "DV Challenge" is actually coming up with a compelling idea.

Sean McHenry July 19th, 2005 10:50 AM

True, so script writing might be a good one too. That's more contest like but specialized.

Frankly, I suppose, since I am a control freak, I like the way it is now because I can do it all. I come up with the ideas, I script it out, I Set design, I do props, I DP and light and shoot and edit, etc.

Maybe that's a good thing in itself. If more director-wanna-bees would do the whole process, they might appreciate all phases more and maybe even find out they like doing something better, like being a DP or lighting designer.

Sean

Stephen van Vuuren July 19th, 2005 10:54 AM

That reminds me of my favorite quote from Kubrick (or anyone) on learning about film:

QUESTION TO KUBRICK: If you were nineteen and starting out again, would you go to film school?

KUBRICK: The best education in film is to make one. I would advise any neophyte director to try to make a film by himself. A three-minute short will teach him a lot. I know that all the things I did at the beginning were, in microcosm, the things I'm doing now as a director and producer. There are a lot of noncreative aspects to filmmaking which have to be overcome, and you will experience them all when you make even the simplest film: business, organization, taxes, etc., etc. It is rare to be able to have an uncluttered, artistic environment when you make a film, and being able to accept this is essential.

The point to stress is that anyone seriously interested in making a film should find as much money as he can as quickly as he can and go out and do it. And this is no longer as difficult as it once was. When I began making movies as an independent in the early 1950s I received a fair amount of publicity because I was something of a freak in an industry dominated by a handful of huge studios. Everyone was amazed that it could be done at all. But anyone can make a movie who has a little knowledge of cameras and tape recorders, a lot of ambition and -- hopefully -- talent. It's gotten down to the pencil and paper level. We're really on the threshold of a revolutionary new era in film.

you can read more of this here:

http://www.visual-memory.co.uk/amk/doc/0069.html

Michael Gibbons July 19th, 2005 11:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sean McHenry
True, so script writing might be a good one too. That's more contest like but specialized.

Frankly, I suppose, since I am a control freak, I like the way it is now because I can do it all. I come up with the ideas, I script it out, I Set design, I do props, I DP and light and shoot and edit, etc.

Maybe that's a good thing in itself. If more director-wanna-bees would do the whole process, they might appreciate all phases more and maybe even find out they like doing something better, like being a DP or lighting designer.

Sean

That was pretty much where I was coming from. I got into this with the idea of making my own movies, I doubt that I will ever work as some one else's DP, but I want to be able to do it for myself, the same as all the other roles, because when it comes down to it, since I can't pay anyone, I am the only on garunteed to show up on the set.

Fredrik-Larsson July 19th, 2005 11:43 AM

I totally agree with letting the challenge be as loose as it is today. Tiying us up in more details will in my opinion probably generate less interest and more people will end up on the wall of shame.

Michael Gibbons July 19th, 2005 12:43 PM

Ironically, while filming my entry to dvc2 I had my own idea for a guided contest, but I realize that it is pretty unworkable. I'll share it anyway.

I call it Global Zombie Holocoust

The challange works in a similar way as to now, except we have a genre instead of a theme, our genre would be, obviously, Zombies. At the beginning of the contest we would establish some ground rules, on such things as what caused the zombie uprising, how and if it can be stopped, weather to use fast or slow zombies or both, ect. A plot outline/timeline would have to be developed , and each team would have to commit to a certain amount of footage. One or two teams would handle the framing plot, and all the other teams could do individual survival narratives. When it's all done, it could theoretically be cut to gether into a mosiac style disaster movie.

A beautiful impossible idea.

P.S. When do we find out how badly I lost?

Stephen van Vuuren July 19th, 2005 12:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Michael Gibbons
P.S. When do we find out how badly I lost?

I guess as soon as Dylan recovers from the bender he got while filming his... :)

Fredrik-Larsson July 19th, 2005 12:48 PM

Quote:

When it's all done, it could theoretically be cut to gether into a mosiac style disaster movie.

A beautiful impossible idea.

What you are talking about is that we should make one movie together? Cool idea if it is. :)

Michael Gibbons July 19th, 2005 12:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fredrik-Larsson
What you are talking about is that we should make one movie together? Cool idea if it is. :)

That was the idea, cool or not though, it would be really difficult to do.

Fredrik-Larsson July 19th, 2005 01:01 PM

Quote:

That was the idea, cool or not though, it would be really difficult to do.

Yeah, and especially in a week. This sound more like a "fun" project to do that will take some time. I figure that it could be done with greenscreens and stuff. The problem would be to maintain key characters throughout the movie... hmm... a challenge like this sounds interesting...

MENTAL NOTE: SELF Fredrik, stop jumping into impossible tasks!

Well... it would be sure fun to try something.. as a test...