DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   The DV Challenge (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/dv-challenge/)
-   -   DVcreators.net cool light arrived (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/dv-challenge/482055-dvcreators-net-cool-light-arrived.html)

Dick Mays July 17th, 2010 07:20 PM

DVcreators.net cool light arrived

So I moved down to Macon Georgia two week ago to be a Math Teacher. A year of underemployment coming to a welcomed ending. And for one moment, I thought I really should not be asking Guy Cochran to cough up a prize for my DV18 victory as it had so few entries and it really isn't quite the same thing without Bill and Bruce, and the peerless Joseph Tran in the competition. So for a moment, I thought maybe I should just pass on the cool light, but then I looked at the specs and greed kicked in and I sent Guy Cochran my mailing address. I did promise him I'd make a video with it and plug his DVcreators store,

But my gal Vicki came back to the house a couple of days ago, and there was no package for me. I thought someone had stolen the light from my porch, and how was I going to be able to tell Guy that I never even got the light? I would have to buy the light and pretend I got it from the mail. After wrecking my motorcycle, and a few more bad strings of luck, a stolen light appeared to be par for the course.

But my neighbor came over today with a big box, she had taking from my porch for safe keeping, and lo and behold my Diva Light ring had arrived! But no sooner had I assembled it, but a friend making a movie arrived and took all my lights away including my newest really cool flourescent. Pictures and a reveiw will be forthcoming. It is bright and makes the really neat eye highlights. More later.

Sorry, no video of the Diva light yet, but you can enjoy my first semi-commercial spot, which I just completed for a sailing club. Love your feedback...

YouTube - Why Sail?

Bill Thesken July 19th, 2010 01:06 PM

Looks great!
Credit for the poem?

Dick Mays July 19th, 2010 01:33 PM

Credit for the poem

Narration or writing? My ex wife did the voice over, and I penned that masterpiece...

Cole Seidl July 23rd, 2010 11:33 AM

Benji and I also got our light recently, and though we haven't had a chance to put it to truly great use yet, we have played around with it, and it is fantastic. I happened to be doing some portrait photography with my new T2i, and together the results were wonderful. I think this light will be a wonderful asset to our film work.

Lorinda Norton July 27th, 2010 09:29 AM

I'm glad you guys are liking your new lights but this is nothing more than a big tease! Where's that forthcoming video? Or one of those portraits?? :)

Nice video, Dick. And btw, it doesn't matter how many or few entries there are--your film was very deserving of the prize.

Dick Mays July 29th, 2010 05:14 AM

My review of the Divo light will be forthcoming. As soon as I can get it back from a producer friend who stole it from me. I picked up the tungsten light kit he borrowed yesterday, but he conveniently didn't bring the Divo light. So I don't have any opinion yet. He, however, loves it.

Scott Shama July 29th, 2010 05:17 PM

Do you think they can make one with a dimmer?

Shaun Roemich July 30th, 2010 03:05 PM

That Guy Cochrane sure is a good gu... um... fellow! Many thanks for his ONGOING support of the DVI Challenge and us video folks in general!

Cole Seidl August 1st, 2010 11:13 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Here are a couple stills taken from the raw footage. This was shot using our Diva light, and light panel micro, both presented by Guy Cochran during DVChallenges.

Lorinda Norton August 4th, 2010 05:56 PM

Nice! But what was your overhead source? Can't be the Diva?!

Cole Seidl August 5th, 2010 11:55 AM

As a matter of fact, it is the Diva. We hung it above me, and to my right. With the boosted shutter speed, and lower f-stop we were able to get ridiculous power out of it.

Dick Mays August 15th, 2010 10:19 AM

Diva light

first photo's using Diva light and natural light together.

Dick Mays August 15th, 2010 10:20 AM

Add attachment

1 Attachment(s)
Second try...

Lorinda Norton August 15th, 2010 11:26 AM

Tom and most people's interpretation of "diva" don't exactly go together, do they... :) How close was the light to him? I'm curious as to why it didn't light up his eyes a little more.

Dick Mays August 16th, 2010 07:34 PM

Lorinda,

I was using the Diva as fill light, on the left side (Tom's right side) of his face. The Key light is from a window to the right, (Tom's left.) The Diva was about seven feet away. It is a strong fill at that distance. I like that the color temperature closely matches daylight, so there is not an obvious yellow tone to the light. It is also a very soft light, even without a diffuser. I am sure if I have placed it next to camera, I would have gotten the nice eye highlights you were expecting.