DVcreators.net cool light arrived at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The Archives > The DV Challenge
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

The DV Challenge
An organized theme-based competition where Content is King!

Old July 17th, 2010, 07:20 PM   #1
Major Player

DVcreators.net cool light arrived

So I moved down to Macon Georgia two week ago to be a Math Teacher. A year of underemployment coming to a welcomed ending. And for one moment, I thought I really should not be asking Guy Cochran to cough up a prize for my DV18 victory as it had so few entries and it really isn't quite the same thing without Bill and Bruce, and the peerless Joseph Tran in the competition. So for a moment, I thought maybe I should just pass on the cool light, but then I looked at the specs and greed kicked in and I sent Guy Cochran my mailing address. I did promise him I'd make a video with it and plug his DVcreators store,

But my gal Vicki came back to the house a couple of days ago, and there was no package for me. I thought someone had stolen the light from my porch, and how was I going to be able to tell Guy that I never even got the light? I would have to buy the light and pretend I got it from the mail. After wrecking my motorcycle, and a few more bad strings of luck, a stolen light appeared to be par for the course.

But my neighbor came over today with a big box, she had taking from my porch for safe keeping, and lo and behold my Diva Light ring had arrived! But no sooner had I assembled it, but a friend making a movie arrived and took all my lights away including my newest really cool flourescent. Pictures and a reveiw will be forthcoming. It is bright and makes the really neat eye highlights. More later.

Sorry, no video of the Diva light yet, but you can enjoy my first semi-commercial spot, which I just completed for a sailing club. Love your feedback...

YouTube - Why Sail?
Dick Mays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 19th, 2010, 01:06 PM   #2
Major Player

Looks great!
Credit for the poem?
Bill Thesken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 19th, 2010, 01:33 PM   #3
Major Player

Credit for the poem

Narration or writing? My ex wife did the voice over, and I penned that masterpiece...
Old July 23rd, 2010, 11:33 AM   #4
Regular Crew

Benji and I also got our light recently, and though we haven't had a chance to put it to truly great use yet, we have played around with it, and it is fantastic. I happened to be doing some portrait photography with my new T2i, and together the results were wonderful. I think this light will be a wonderful asset to our film work.
Cole Seidl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 27th, 2010, 09:29 AM   #5
Wrangler

I'm glad you guys are liking your new lights but this is nothing more than a big tease! Where's that forthcoming video? Or one of those portraits?? :)

Nice video, Dick. And btw, it doesn't matter how many or few entries there are--your film was very deserving of the prize.
Old July 29th, 2010, 05:14 AM   #6
Major Player

My review of the Divo light will be forthcoming. As soon as I can get it back from a producer friend who stole it from me. I picked up the tungsten light kit he borrowed yesterday, but he conveniently didn't bring the Divo light. So I don't have any opinion yet. He, however, loves it.
Old July 29th, 2010, 05:17 PM   #7
Major Player

Do you think they can make one with a dimmer?
Scott Shama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 30th, 2010, 03:05 PM   #8
Inner Circle

Location: Vancouver, British Columbia (formerly Winnipeg, Manitoba) Canada
That Guy Cochrane sure is a good gu... um... fellow! Many thanks for his ONGOING support of the DVI Challenge and us video folks in general!
Old August 1st, 2010, 11:13 PM   #9
Regular Crew

Here are a couple stills taken from the raw footage. This was shot using our Diva light, and light panel micro, both presented by Guy Cochran during DVChallenges.
Attached Thumbnails
DVcreators.net cool light arrived-painting-rain-2-still.png   DVcreators.net cool light arrived-painting-rain-3-still.png  

Old August 4th, 2010, 05:56 PM   #10
Wrangler

Nice! But what was your overhead source? Can't be the Diva?!
Old August 5th, 2010, 11:55 AM   #11
Regular Crew

As a matter of fact, it is the Diva. We hung it above me, and to my right. With the boosted shutter speed, and lower f-stop we were able to get ridiculous power out of it.
Old August 15th, 2010, 10:19 AM   #12
Major Player

Diva light

first photo's using Diva light and natural light together.
Old August 15th, 2010, 10:20 AM   #13
Major Player

Add attachment

Second try...
Attached Thumbnails
DVcreators.net cool light arrived-_mg_7398.jpg  
Old August 15th, 2010, 11:26 AM   #14
Wrangler

Tom and most people's interpretation of "diva" don't exactly go together, do they... :) How close was the light to him? I'm curious as to why it didn't light up his eyes a little more.
Old August 16th, 2010, 07:34 PM   #15
Major Player

Lorinda,

I was using the Diva as fill light, on the left side (Tom's right side) of his face. The Key light is from a window to the right, (Tom's left.) The Diva was about seven feet away. It is a strong fill at that distance. I like that the color temperature closely matches daylight, so there is not an obvious yellow tone to the light. It is also a very soft light, even without a diffuser. I am sure if I have placed it next to camera, I would have gotten the nice eye highlights you were expecting.
Dick Mays is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The Archives > The DV Challenge