How's it going? - Page 5 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The Archives > The DV Challenge

The DV Challenge
An organized theme-based competition where Content is King!

Old June 6th, 2011, 03:10 PM   #61
Major Player

Re: How's it going?

My mac's never had any problems working with AVCHD if that helps.
Henry Williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 6th, 2011, 03:22 PM   #62
Wrangler

The lazy side of me (as in the bigger part of me) wants to listen to Andris. I really dread learning a new program, for sure don't want to go to a Mac. My only experience with Premiere was way back in 2001. It crashed so much I swore I'd never use it again. But lots has changed in ten years (well, not Dick's computer, apparently). ;) And if I wasn't lazy I would love to learn how to use AE to up my game a bit.

Edius is the strangest-looking program I've seen, but it is also rock-solid and does so much in real time it's quite tempting. There is that learning curve that, at my age, looks really, really steep, but from what I've watched it do, it shouldn't be counted out.

PC configuration has so much to do with it, as well, and there's a chance I shouldn't be blaming on Vegas what might be a problem with my computer. It's a hot rod but not without its issues.

Hmm...
Old June 6th, 2011, 04:12 PM   #63
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry Williams View Post
My mac's never had any problems working with AVCHD if that helps.
Do you import the raw .m2ts files or do you need to import and convert to a mac .mov format right away. The Mac guy at best buy said he has no issues with his panasonic tm90 clips but he did not answer me if they played and edited right out of the camera into the Mac.He just says they work fine. Thought a new PC was the answer but the new one keep crashing when I was editing in Adobe Premiere and giving me a fatal error and rebooted losing my stuff. ???? Don't know why most likely a driver issue, or something I didn't install correctly. I'm on the hunt for a new computer now PC or Mac
Gerald OConnor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 6th, 2011, 04:36 PM   #64
Regular Crew

I had massive problems getting my mac to read the .mts files from my Panasonic, but I have a really, really old copy of final cut express. Henry (with newer software than me) was able to import it no trouble at all. I think that all of the newer programs can read them no problem (regardless of whether you're on a mac or a pc). I'd check all of this with somebody who knows a bit more than me before spending any actual money, though. ;-)
George Williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 6th, 2011, 05:37 PM   #65
Major Player

Editing those files natively can be a bit glitchy, but I log and transfer to prores422 and then there are no issues. Compared to working with HDV the render and export times are much improved and (once the files are converted) I can push them further in the grade before the image starts to fall apart. The side effect is increased data storage requirements (about a gig a minute for my .mtf files once converted to prores) but storage is cheap!

The new version of final cut out this month can work with pretty much any files natively without issue (apparently) but if you're going to be doing any heavy grading they'll still probably hold up better if they're converted to prores.
Henry Williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 6th, 2011, 06:33 PM   #66
Major Player

Sorry to say I ended up not being able to finish the edit on my entry. I was trying to use my laptop which is definitely underpowered, and just couldn't get it to work. Hopefully next round I will be better set up and able to edit the video. I look forward to seeing the entries anyway.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The Archives > The DV Challenge