My first feature film at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The Archives > The DV Challenge

The DV Challenge
An organized theme-based competition where Content is King!

Old June 20th, 2011, 07:23 PM   #1
Major Player

My first feature film

A little update for my DVC friends. We are doing a little project, that should lead to our first feature film. Thought some of you might be interested. Here is the link.

Uncle Tom's Cabin by Richard Mays — Kickstarter

The Conceptual Acting tutorial features the two actors we have cast as Mr. and Mrs Shelby, for those of you familiar with the book. I hope this doesn't get pulled by Chris as SPAM. I am only posting here because I consider many of my fellow DVCers to be friends.

Dick
Dick Mays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 22nd, 2011, 12:45 AM   #2
Major Player

Re: My first feature film

Mr. Mays, wishing you the best on this project. Is Kickstarter the best route, or should we send a check direct to your production company? It has to be max PG rated for us to consider. -BT
Bill Thesken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 24th, 2011, 09:24 AM   #3
Wrangler

This is such a great film idea, Dick! Wishing you all the best.
Old June 27th, 2011, 02:42 PM   #4
Major Player

Bill,

The short film is the first ten minutes of the feature film. The funding is for the short. Once the short is complete, investors get to see the first ten minutes, done on a tight budget, to determine whether they want to invest in the feature. The feature will probably be PG-13 rated, no nudity, but their is a violent scene where Uncle Tom is flogged. There is also a romantic reunion scene between an escaped husband and wife, but it will be tasteful. While I believe the feature would be a PG-13 film, the short will be PG.

Kickstarter does not allow equity to be given to project backers. However, if we do get to make the feature film it seems appropriate that the people who backed the short are somehow taken into consideration. We are thinking about ways to do that. That's all I can say about that.

Thanks for your interest.

Dick
Old June 27th, 2011, 02:43 PM   #5
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorinda Norton View Post
This is such a great film idea, Dick! Wishing you all the best.
Thanks Lorinda. Did you get a chance to read the script?
Old July 17th, 2011, 07:19 PM   #6
Major Player

Congratulations on getting funded. Can't wait to see the first 10 minutes!
Jeremy Doyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 23rd, 2011, 03:00 PM   #7
Major Player

Thanks Jeremy for your support. We will begin shooting on Labor Day, Sept 5th.
Old July 25th, 2011, 10:00 AM   #8
Wrangler

Very happy for you, Dick! This is really exciting. And no, I haven't read the script yet, but it's supposed to be 100 degrees in the shade today...sounds like a good time to sit indoors and do that. :)
Old August 10th, 2011, 05:57 PM   #9
Regular Crew

Benji and I just completed primary photography on our first feature yesterday. So I offer my condolences knowing what you are about to embark on.

But in all seriousness, congrats. I'm glad to see you taking this on.

(Fun fact, we used an antique copy of "Uncle Tom's Cabin" as a stand in for Aristotle's "Metaphysics" in our film.)
Cole Seidl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 18th, 2011, 12:45 PM   #10
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cole Seidl View Post
Benji and I just completed primary photography on our first feature yesterday. So I offer my condolences knowing what you are about to embark on.

But in all seriousness, congrats. I'm glad to see you taking this on.

(Fun fact, we used an antique copy of "Uncle Tom's Cabin" as a stand in for Aristotle's "Metaphysics" in our film.)
Cole,

Congratulations! Are you keeping everything secret and under wraps? I'd love to know all about it. I'm going to go the whole "open book," approach, blogging and everything as we go along. Share with us what you can. Horror stories, budget, unexpected obstacles, etc. etc.

See you in Cannes!

Dick
Old August 28th, 2011, 04:28 PM   #11
Regular Crew

Hey Dick,
We're not really keeping everything under wraps, though we haven't made a huge effort to give information to people too. We were quite understaffed, so our main focus was simply on actually getting the movie done. Managed to take a few production stills too though.

We actually shot the whole thing for $4,000 which was a suicide mission. Shot it all on the T2i from a script I began writing Freshman year of college.

The biggest problem was the scope of the film was pretty big (half the film takes place in the south of France) and trying to make it work with limited budget and crew was difficult.

We also realized making films is a lot more fun when we're the ones doing the acting. Actors are what truly make directing "work".
Cole Seidl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 16th, 2011, 11:32 AM   #12
Major Player

"Kickstarter does not allow equity to be given to project backers. However, if we do get to make the feature film it seems appropriate that the people who backed the short are somehow taken into consideration. We are thinking about ways to do that. That's all I can say about that. "

The reason you can't do equity is the S.E.C. has very strict rules about selling "investments". Having people fund your movie in return for a share of the profits can very quickly cross the line in to a violation of the law.

I would suggest you do a bit of research on this subject because the penalties can be rather serve.
Kevin Spahr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 17th, 2011, 04:58 PM   #13
Major Player

"Having people fund your movie in return for a share of the profits can very quickly cross the line in to a violation of the law."

Isn't it normal to have investors fund a movie with an agreement to share the profits?
Bill Thesken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 18th, 2011, 05:45 AM   #14
Major Player

When it is done legally.

I'm traveling right now but I'll try to post a link on Monday that really does a good job of explaining the law on this issue. It can save you a lot of trouble...
Kevin Spahr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 20th, 2011, 03:47 PM   #15
Major Player

I couldn't find the article I was looking for but this one explains some of the issues:

Film Production: Financing and Investment Issues | Experienced Chicago Intellectual Property Lawyers | Saper Law Offices

The other option is to start a business with your investors but that gives them a say in how things are ran. This could open the door to all sorts of unpleasant issues...
Kevin Spahr is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The Archives > The DV Challenge