Clarification of DVC Rules at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The Archives > The DV Challenge

The DV Challenge
An organized theme-based competition where Content is King!

Old September 7th, 2005, 10:59 PM   #1
Major Player

Clarification of DVC Rules

Dylan:

The DVC rules clearly state that "YOUR FILM MUST BE ALL NEW MATERIAL." Now, supposing I were to shoot all new footage, not using any of the old footage or animations from Gardens of Tomorrow (GOT), would it be "legal" to create Part II of GOT?

I'd like to continue the story--and the challenge of learning more animation and green screen techniques. Also, I think it would be very interesting to see how the old theme of secrets would mesh with the soon-to-be-announced theme.

I have not signed up yet, but I'm on the fence and have dreams of green screening this weekend.

Jeff
Old September 7th, 2005, 11:14 PM   #2
Regular Crew

Personally i dont see any problems, if its just a continuation, as long as the judges can understand it as just something by itself
Scott Hebert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 8th, 2005, 12:01 AM   #3
Wrangler

Jeff, that's cool.

I for one would really like to see more of that story.
Old September 8th, 2005, 12:04 AM   #4
Major Player

Okay, I guess I need to fall of the fence and turn my back on my regular work! Do I really need sleep?
Old September 8th, 2005, 03:06 AM   #5
Regular Crew

Also depends on the new theme, it would be interesting to see how the storyline transfers to the new one.
Andrew Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 10th, 2005, 03:40 PM   #6
Regular Crew

1 more doubt

Dylan (et al)

Call me dumb, but I still have a simple doubt:

...are we ending the DVC3 deadline at 23:59:59 (just before midnight...) of which day? Thursday or Friday? Or, in other wording, can we deliver the goods on Friday night?

Cheers

Hugo
Hugo Pinto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 10th, 2005, 09:08 PM   #7
Major Player

Hugo:

The official ending is Friday, September 16 at 23:59:59 PST. This means one second before Saturday. You must have not only posted your piece on a website by then, but also emailed Dylan the link.
Old September 11th, 2005, 09:24 AM   #8
Regular Crew

Jeff, many thanks!

How's it going with GOT #2? I confess to being a fan of your first one.

I´m late as hell, finished the script in the morning, will start shooting NOW. Unexpectedly, I´ll be having a 2nd unit (using some very primitive means) for part of the footage, so I hope it helps the schedule.

Hugo
Hugo Pinto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 11th, 2005, 11:21 AM   #9
Trustee

Don't sweat it Hugo, I haven't even started. I am hoping to find time this afternoon to sit down to do a script and storyboard as well as find out if the actors I am hoping to use are up for it. I am only typing this now because I am waiting for a project due tomorrow morning to render a particular clip - so if I am able to produce what I have in my head for DVC 3 by Friday night, it will be pretty cool and a partial miracle.

oops, gotta go, render done. Back to work.
-Jon
Old September 11th, 2005, 11:33 AM   #10
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Sayre
The official ending is Friday, September 16 at 23:59:59 PST. This means one second before Saturday.
Correct! Thanks Jeff.
Old September 11th, 2005, 11:53 AM   #11
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugo Pinto
Jeff, many thanks!

How's it going with GOT #2? I confess to being a fan of your first one.

I´m late as hell, finished the script in the morning, will start shooting NOW. Unexpectedly, I´ll be having a 2nd unit (using some very primitive means) for part of the footage, so I hope it helps the schedule.

Hugo
Thanks, Hugo! We're actually going to start shooting green screen in about 30 minutes. We are setting a slow pace so as not to kill ourselves in the heat.

For GOT2, the entire short will be shot in front of green screen--all 3 minutes and 59 seconds. Yes, we're taking all the time we can to push the story along. There will be more animations and some attempts at nested green screen composites. And of course the theme off "cameras" is key to this segment.

I'll let you know how the day turns out! I'm off to the set.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The Archives > The DV Challenge