DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   The DV Challenge (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/dv-challenge/)
-   -   DV CHALLENGE #3 THEME - GO GO GO GO!!! (for real this time) (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/dv-challenge/50724-dv-challenge-3-theme-go-go-go-go-real-time.html)

Dylan Couper September 8th, 2005 08:37 AM

DV CHALLENGE #3 THEME - GO GO GO GO!!! (for real this time)

For real this time. :)

THE THEME FOR THE DV CHALLENGE #3 IS:

CAMERAS

You now have until midnight PST on Friday the 16th to send me the URL to your 3-4 minute long film!!!! If you don't then it is the wall of shame for you!

Good luck!

Andrew Paul September 8th, 2005 08:43 AM

Yippeeee, got it at last. Now.......................where do I start ?

Fredrik-Larsson September 8th, 2005 08:44 AM

Is there any specific technical area this time? Like "best cinematography" last time?

Dylan Couper September 8th, 2005 08:44 AM

Andrew:
Write
Plan
Shoot
Edit
Upload
Win!!!

See, it's just that easy! :)

Dylan Couper September 8th, 2005 08:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fredrik-Larsson
Is there any specific technical area this time? Like "best cinematography" last time?

Yes, I believe I announced it in the prize package thread. It is accomanied by a sweet Chimera lightbank for the winner!

Fredrik-Larsson September 8th, 2005 08:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dylan Couper
Yes, I believe I announced it in the prize package thread. It is accomanied by a sweet Chimera lightbank for the winner!

Uhmmm.. no? I can't find it.. am I going blind?

Dylan Couper September 8th, 2005 08:55 AM

Quote:

Uhmmm.. no? I can't find it.. am I going blind?

Yes. :)

Sticky thread in this forum.

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?t=50006

Jean-Philippe Archibald September 8th, 2005 09:10 AM

Dylan,

Can you tell to us how many people have signed for this contest? just to add up to the pressure... :-)

Dylan Couper September 8th, 2005 09:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jean-Philippe Archibald
Dylan,

Can you tell to us how many people have signed for this contest? just to add up to the pressure... :-)

30-40 people offhand.

Fredrik-Larsson September 8th, 2005 09:21 AM

Quote:

Yes. :)

Sticky thread in this forum.

Sorry... was blind... hmm.. makes me remember "USE THE SEARCH FUNCTION"

Robert Martens September 8th, 2005 10:35 AM

Ooh. OOH! I've got an idea! That's never happened before...

Gotta go get to work, good luck everybody!

Jeff Sayre September 8th, 2005 12:01 PM

If a shoot a movie of my Sony Z1U looking into a mirror, will I get stuck in an infinite loop? Would the space-time continuum cease to exist?

Phillip Jackson September 8th, 2005 12:04 PM

Hmmm Cameras eh...... :(

I start to get visions of those horible movies about making movies.

Well this theme makes it even more of a challenge so time to get to work (errr my job work that is) then tonight i can start writing.

Sean McHenry September 8th, 2005 01:01 PM

If you use a perfect mirror on the inside of a sphere, and that sphere has a hole in it with a mirrored lid, you should be able to shine a flashlight into it and capture the light as it would in theory bounce around inside forever.

Cool? Yes. The part that will blow your mind is that if you have a reflection of yourself in the sphere and close the lid fast enough, your image will remain in the sphere forever...

Back to the script I haven't started...

Sean

Dylan Couper September 8th, 2005 02:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Phillip Jackson
Hmmm Cameras eh...... :(

I start to get visions of those horible movies about making movies.

Aha, careful there, I didn't say movies, I said cameras!

I KNOW people are going to take the theme in the wrong direction, so just to clarify, cameras; not movies, not making movies, not video production. :)

Fredrik-Larsson September 8th, 2005 02:38 PM

Quote:

Aha, careful there, I didn't say movies, I said cameras!

I KNOW people are going to take the theme in the wrong direction, so just to clarify, cameras; not movies, not making movies, not video production. :)

Just being picky but it can involve just one camera to? Otherwise I need to scrap my ideas...

Jeff Sayre September 8th, 2005 02:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sean McHenry
If you use a perfect mirror on the inside of a sphere, and that sphere has a hole in it with a mirrored lid, you should be able to shine a flashlight into it and capture the light as it would in theory bounce around inside forever.

Cool? Yes. The part that will blow your mind is that if you have a reflection of yourself in the sphere and close the lid fast enough, your image will remain in the sphere forever...

Back to the script I haven't started...

Sean

Okay Sean, you're scaring me now. :)

Dylan Couper September 8th, 2005 02:52 PM

Quote:

Just being picky but it can involve just one camera to? Otherwise I need to scrap my ideas...

Sure, you can do anything you like!

Chris Colin Swanson September 8th, 2005 06:01 PM

Sean,
If your image is in that perfectly mirrored sphere forever it will never be in your movie because your camera can't catch it.

I applaud you all and look forward to the films. One day I might have the time and balls to enter but for now I appreciate your efforts from the sidelines. My movie would approach this from an .... well maybe someone will do that so I won't say.

Good luck to all of you!

Owen Bickford September 8th, 2005 09:54 PM

so does everyone have an idea or two already? I do. nanny-nany-boo-boo.

Phillip Jackson September 8th, 2005 11:08 PM

hmmm taking the theme the wrong way eh.

so Camera as in the court meaning? nothing to do with pictures?

Dylan Couper September 8th, 2005 11:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Phillip Jackson
hmmm taking the theme the wrong way eh.

so Camera as in the court meaning? nothing to do with pictures?

Honestly you can do whatever you like with it, I'm just cautioning people that camera does not indicate movies nor video production specificaly.

Phillip Jackson September 8th, 2005 11:17 PM

Yeah cool, just i remembered that Camera also means "in private" or something and they use that in court cases (correct me if i'm wrong)

Anyways i think i have an idea.... and no its not about a court case..... or is it hehe

Fredrik-Larsson September 9th, 2005 12:35 AM

This is a tough one. But I think I have an idea that could work... Interesting that under pressure you come up with a lot of creative ideas and the more contests the more creative you get. I am looking forward to see all contributions and my own is finished. A lot of hard work ahead...

Hugo Pinto September 9th, 2005 02:07 AM

Camera...

Phillip,

"Camera" is indeed something like in private, or "in the chamber" - since chamber is the original meaning of the word, a chamber where you trap the light expose it to film.

...from there on, it's just a bit of imagination to stretch Dylan's theme to chambers in general... :)

I'll probably stick with the original word, anyway.

Hugo

Sean McHenry September 9th, 2005 07:32 AM

Good lord, nanny-nanny-boo-boo? Who are you really?

So yes, yes I do have an idea so there mister smarty bottom.

All I can say is with a "Nanny-Nanny-Boo-Boo" taunting, it better be a good one mister. We don't take such challenges lightly here.

"Your father was a Hamster and your mother smelled of Elder Berries".

"Now go away or I shall taunt you a second time."

Back to my script.

Enjoy the weekend all,
Sean

Dylan Couper September 9th, 2005 08:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hugo Pinto
Phillip,

"Camera" is indeed something like in private, or "in the chamber" - since chamber is the original meaning of the word, a chamber where you trap the light expose it to film.
Hugo

Well, you really do learn something every day!

ANyway, you guys know I mean camera in the "soul stealing device" definition of course. :)

Sean McHenry September 9th, 2005 09:10 AM

Exactly the theme of my short. Shhhhhhhh.

Sean

Jonathan Jones September 9th, 2005 11:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sean McHenry
Exactly the theme of my short. Shhhhhhhh.

Sean

stop it you guys...you're stealing my freakin' idea!!!
-chuckle-

-Jon

Jeff Sayre September 9th, 2005 12:47 PM

Quote:

Well, you really do learn something every day!

ANyway, you guys know I mean camera in the "soul stealing device" definition of course. :)

Didn't Stephen van Vuuren et al already do Lost Souls? :)

Michael Gibbons September 9th, 2005 01:10 PM

I am doomed.

Dylan Couper September 9th, 2005 03:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Michael Gibbons
I am doomed.

Ah, we're all doomed. It's just how you deal with it that makes you or breaks you.

Daniel Kohl September 10th, 2005 02:35 AM

Dylan,

You already did the "trapped" theme. Do participants get docked points if they use interpretations of themes that over-lap previous challenges? :',

don't answer that ... (I'm trying to be funny again)

Owen Bickford September 10th, 2005 10:36 AM

nanny-nanny-boo-boo

"Mister smarty bottom?" Who are you? You can't just invent insult names at the drop of a hat. That one should have been at least tested with a group of second graders before reaching into the virtual realm. And I didn't mean to suggest that this challenge is being taken lightly on my part. Or maybe I should let you keep believing that i am, so you can disregard anything I say. That way, I'll surprise you on the 16th!

PS: I hope you know I'm just joking.

Dylan Couper September 10th, 2005 01:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Owen Bickford
"Mister smarty bottom?" Who are you? You can't just invent insult names at the drop of a hat.

You know, I always found that doing that was one of the best things about being a guy. Me and a friend (notice I didn't say 'a friend and I') used to kill time at the back of English class making up new insults for eachother. Most of them aren't postable here. :)

Daniel Kohl September 10th, 2005 02:28 PM

uh... I don't think "mister smarty bottom" is an invented insult. I think that one is certified. I'm sure someone must have used that expression in the "Young Ones", way back in the early 90's.

But maybe I'm wrong.

Stephen van Vuuren September 10th, 2005 04:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeff Sayre
Didn't Stephen van Vuuren et al already do Lost Souls? :)

Ah, but it was a pun...there were two lost "souls"...

BTW, I'm entered, but I'm just the lowly DP this time. Two members of my team from Lost Souls are writing, directing, producing and editing their very first movie.

Stephen van Vuuren September 10th, 2005 04:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Daniel Kohl
uh... I don't think "mister smarty bottom" is an invented insult. I think that one is certified. I'm sure someone must have used that expression in the "Young Ones", way back in the early 90's.

But maybe I'm wrong.

The Young Ones rocked...

Sean McHenry September 11th, 2005 09:38 PM

"Mister Smarty Bottom" grew out of not wanting to use the time tested "Smart Ass" in mixed company. I suppose we are all over 18 here (for the majority anyway). Besides, kids don't have the patience to read threads all day long like we do. They have better things to do with their time. Man, come to think of it, I used to have better things to do too. I'm old.

So, I wasn't making up the soul of the comment, just softening the verbage a bit.

Sort of a Sponge Bob version if you will. And yes, I too was just having a bit of fun. Never take me serious, really.

Sean (almost done) McHenry

Owen Bickford September 12th, 2005 01:59 PM

yeah, it's always hard to tell on these forums. besides, there's nothing better to do than to communicate with people who think with similar brain waves. otherwise, i'd be talking to some local bozo about farming or something. hmmm... i wonder how many farming forums there are on the web.

owen (about-to-start-taping) bickford