DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   The DV Challenge (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/dv-challenge/)
-   -   New DVC? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/dv-challenge/507975-new-dvc.html)

Henry Williams May 23rd, 2012 06:20 AM

New DVC?

Hello lovely people. The sun has finally started shining in Englaland which leads me to the conclusion that it might be time for another DVC?

Marc Burleigh May 26th, 2012 12:13 AM

Re: New DVC?

Now that could be a good idea. I thought the DVCs here had fallen into oblivion.

Victor Nguyen May 26th, 2012 11:39 PM

I'm new here...what's DVC?

Marc Burleigh May 27th, 2012 12:42 PM

Welcome Victor.

DVCs are when the denizens of this virtual cave come grunting out into the sunlight, their shiny toys dragged behind them. Once in the diurnal blaze that illuminates their faces into silly grins, they dream.... of hobgoblins on green screens, of malevolent villains backlit, of snappy dialogue cut to staccato rhythms, of epic stories that could rock the torrentsphere if only a studio injected money and pro actors into them. It's an event where discussions of forward foci, steadycam arm fatigue woes and lens comparisons are dropped in favour of actually DOING IT: creating your own pet story and making it reality. A totem pole of Vimeo links is then built and the forum denizens sit around its warming glow and hum and chant and sway, praising each offering to the video gods (and suggesting in softer whispers what could have been done better).

In short, it's the DV (Digital Video) Challenge, a collegial and friendly little competition where people here write, cast, shoot, edit and present little short films around a set theme. The rules can be found on this vintage site: The DV Challenge
Don't be intimidated. It essentially gathers hobbyists and usually, despite a gush of "I'm in" declarations of intentions, some half a dozen films are made in time. It has, however, ebbed in recent months and I'm not sure there will be critical mass this time for a new one to be called. We'll see.

In any case, if the siren does blare its seductive call, dive on in, beware the Evil Fairy of Procrastination, and should ye actually complete a short film, sit back and bask in the knowledge that your closet full of cameras and associated stuff actually got tested -- as did, more importantly, your ability to snatch a dream from your head and give it life....

Henry Williams May 28th, 2012 10:35 AM

Hey Marc,

That description brought a tear to my eye. Would love to do another comp but guess we shall have to see whether the collective will is there to go once more unto the breach...

Lorinda Norton May 28th, 2012 10:25 PM

Well...I'm worn out just reading Marc's description! ;)

Dylan and I sit back and wait until we hear the call of the wild...then we fire up the Challenge again if there's enough interest. So...is there???

Henry Williams May 29th, 2012 12:59 AM

Here's hoping :) Will try and get my brother onboard again too!

Jeremy Doyle May 29th, 2012 12:16 PM

As much as I'd like to say "count me in", but between work and work, I am swamped until the fall.

Andris Krastins May 30th, 2012 12:44 PM

I'm currently exhausted after a year of filming material for a docu (now final editing touches), but I'd really like to do something more artistic.

Honestly - I'll sign up if I like the theme. I need to do something for me.

Cole Seidl May 31st, 2012 11:14 PM

I just finished the first cut of my first feature....
And I need a distraction or my head will explode.

So yes. Dear lord count me in.

Chris Barcellos June 1st, 2012 01:19 AM

As I said over at UWOl, retirement is looming and I need something fun to get into...

Simon Wood June 1st, 2012 03:43 AM

I'm interested.

Mark Ahrens June 1st, 2012 05:12 AM

I'm interested. Summer doldrums are getting my gear dusty.

Gerald OConnor June 1st, 2012 08:17 AM

I would be interested

Marc Burleigh June 3rd, 2012 05:57 AM

Hell yeah, I'm in, sight unseen. Cast and crew standing by for the theme, skippers.