Tales of Wonder and Woe - DVC 22 - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The Archives > The DV Challenge
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

The DV Challenge
An organized theme-based competition where Content is King!

Old August 16th, 2012, 06:19 AM   #16
Trustee

Re: Tales of Wonder and Woe - DVC 22

Yes, Chris.

I remember. And I thought it was very courageous of you to share the videos you did.

I was definitely pulling for you.
Bruce Foreman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 16th, 2012, 09:12 AM   #17
Major Player

Here I am, getting my stuff packed. Filming tomorrow for the comp, I just got one day to film (7 hours) and my mic has a crackle on it and I'm missing a fire wire lead. This is my first comp and its stressful.

@Bruce - I don't know you, but I hope you eye is fixed and heals well, I know what its like when the unexpected happens.
Mark Hartopp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 16th, 2012, 11:51 PM   #18
Wrangler

Ah, I remember those days, Mark...the days that I wondered what was wrong with me that I would voluntarily put myself under so much stress. Hang tough; may your mic be crackle free and the filming a great 7 hours! :)
Old August 17th, 2012, 09:47 AM   #19
Trustee

Wow Bruce, that is certainly a tale of Woe.....hope all get better !

Well due to scope, location and actor issues I'm now on my 3rd script but this just fits nicely and is the easiest to shoot. Shooting all day Sunday, with no chance of pick ups, so fingers crossed all goes to plan!

Now, back to finishing script 3...
Mat Thompson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 18th, 2012, 03:23 PM   #20
Major Player

Bruce's eye did take me in a whole 'nuther direction. But how was I going to find the location I needed? I gave up after three hours of driving around, and getting chased off of two properties, but on my way to pick up my kids from school, I passed by this house. A promise to do a photo session of the lady's grandchildren secured this cool location.
Attached Thumbnails
Tales of Wonder and Woe - DVC 22-img_3941.jpg  
Dick Mays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 19th, 2012, 07:13 AM   #21
Regular Crew

Bruce,

That looks really painful! Hope you are healing up well and that your family is taking good care of you!

Glad to see that people are sharing their stories.

Quick question- is swearing allowed in the film?

Am really looking forward to seeing all the submissions! I am trying to edit a cohesive story and then have to do some additional location shoots to fill in some holes. It's so funny, because when I thought about the film, I had so many ideas and when I went to shoot, it looks so amateurish! Kind of like a telenovela or soap opera. Hopefully with some color correction and quick edits I can salvage some footage!

With two weeks left it's going to be tight!

Toni
Toni Dolce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 19th, 2012, 10:41 AM   #22
Inner Circle

We had some discussion about "rating levels" of films submitted several years back. There has never been a specific rule about it, but most have submitted GP rated at most films in the past. In the end, good taste seems to be the rule, and those that don't exhibit good taste, likely pay for it in loss of votes. So you just have to ask yourself the question, does the shot or story line require it, or is it just for shock value.

I by no means want to censor stuff. It should be up to you.
Old August 19th, 2012, 08:32 PM   #23
Major Player

Bruce, that looks like you had a really nasty accident. I am glad to hear you are on the mend. Whether you do a film or not, it seems you are a winner just for recovering from that. Hope you are all better soon.

Chris, i hope you enjoy your last film with your granddaughter, at least for now. That should be fun.

Glad everyone else is posting here about their trials and tribulations. It is good to keep up with everyone's progress and plans.

I have gone in a completely different direction than usual, jumping from UWOL to the DVC. It has been a huge challenge, first developing a script and then gathering suitable materials for the film. It is going well, but taking way longer than expected. Still, I feel I am pushing my comfort zone, and that is always a good thing.

Ruth
Old August 21st, 2012, 09:33 AM   #24
Trustee

Hey everyone !!

How goes it ?

We shot out script 3 on Sunday. Everyone did a great job on what was the hottest day of the year (Well into the 30's)....Other than desiccating all went well and I'm into the rough cut.

This has been great fun thus far!
Mat Thompson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 22nd, 2012, 10:37 AM   #25
Regular Crew

Wow sounds like an eventful DVChallenge this time around! Bruce, I'm sorry to hear about your eye accident and I hope you have a speedy and full recovery!

Dick, that location looks amazing and I can't wait to see it in your film. I never thought of trading a location for photos but that's a great idea I might try one day!

My crew and I actually just finished editing last night, after shooting on the two hottest days of the year like you Mat. We still have lots of sound and color to do but it's nice to see the film coming together.

While I'm at it, I have a quick question about credits for Lorinda or all those in the know — Can I take some of the credit time from the end of the film for the front title credit? Our film is 5:00 on the nose but we don't need very long for credits at the end. Can I split the time between front and back or does it not work like that? Thanks! Can't wait to see everyone's submissions!
Mitchell Stookey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 22nd, 2012, 05:25 PM   #26
Inner Circle

I have final scene to shoot. The rest of the film is pieced together in a rough edit. I need to come up with a way to do something in the final scene, and still haven't figured out how to do it. Got some ideas. so we shall see.....
Old August 22nd, 2012, 06:49 PM   #27
Regular Crew

I am not trying to get you to give anything away Chris, but you have me very intrigued! Is it some kind of VFX shot or complicated blocking you're trying to figure out? I'd love to know but if you think it will spoil it I will try and be patient.
Mitchell Stookey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 22nd, 2012, 07:17 PM   #28
Inner Circle

Mitchell, I think I will save it for the moment. But if I get desparate, might ask for help out there.
Old August 23rd, 2012, 01:12 AM   #29
Major Player

Still haven't shot anything because of bad weather and busy work schedule, but I have high hopes for this weekend. Yet again I plan to shoot a sort of a visual poem.
Old August 23rd, 2012, 12:03 PM   #30
Trustee

Well I have an ungraded edit and it seems to be going down well with folks! - Very pleased with the production values, my cast and crew did an amazing job to say there was little film experience between them.

Just some 'scene glue' to find now to get the middle and end of the story nicely fixed together !

Onwards :-)
Mat Thompson is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The Archives > The DV Challenge