DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   The DV Challenge (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/dv-challenge/)
-   -   Tales of Wonder and Woe - DVC 22 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/dv-challenge/509901-tales-wonder-woe-dvc-22-a.html)

Mat Thompson August 9th, 2012 03:20 PM

Tales of Wonder and Woe - DVC 22

Hi guys

Just thought I'd start a thread to swap shooting stories. It all seems too quiet at the moment. So....

How are folks doing?

I am just completing my screen play and I think I have my main actress. Really hoping I can pull this little film off. It's tough this fictional biz !

Chris Barcellos August 9th, 2012 10:44 PM

Re: Tales of Wonder and Woe - DVC 22

I am already shooting, but this is not because I am not a procrastinator. My grand daughter is going away to college next week, and we decided we needed to do this one last DV Challenge before she left. I guess I could go a different direction if this doesn't pan out.

Toni Dolce August 10th, 2012 08:09 AM

This is my first time at the rodeo and I am really excited about the project! The past week was spent scouting for locations and purchasing props with basically no budget. I began filming two days ago and realized that my imagination exceeded the amount of time and resources that were available, so I am learning on the fly! The challenges so far have been coordinating actor schedules and making sure the technical aspects of light, sound, and filming line up. Excited to finish filming next week and begin the editing process! For the rest of the forum, what have been your challenges?

Simon Wood August 10th, 2012 08:57 AM

I have not had a chance to start thinking about it yet; I have a couple of other projects on at the moment, plus I have family from abroad visiting.

Still hoping for some inspiration though!

Andris Krastins August 11th, 2012 03:19 AM

I'm desperately waiting for a sunny day which is absolutely needed for my script. But all I see is clouds... :(

Bruce Foreman August 12th, 2012 07:53 PM

In mid July a "freak accident" caused a severe impact to the left eye socket and cheekbone. Two places on the face had to be stitched up in the ER and then they discharged me....

....To the OR...

There was a rip (about 15mm long) in the conjuntiva lining over the eyeball that took several stitches (self dissolving), way up under the eyelid and the eyelid was split from the bottom edge of the upper lid that seemed to go pretty high up. Thankfully they had to put me under general anaesthesia for the repairs.

Final stitches on the bottom edge of the eyelid came out about a week and a half ago. Vision in that eye is trying to return to normal but it's still uncertain at this point if I'll get it all back.

I don't know how much chance there is I can get an entry in this time.

Dick Mays August 13th, 2012 01:30 PM

Bruce,

Gosh, I would film that eye, stage some accident with glass, kind of backfill the story. Glass somehow cut your eye open, that fits the theme, doesn't it. Gives you a powerful "visceral visual," as I like to call them.

I wrote a script, but Bruce's eye is giving me a whole 'nuther idea. Might have to go a different direction.

Dick Mays August 13th, 2012 01:38 PM

And oh, BTW, I hope that eye gets better soon!

Lorinda Norton August 13th, 2012 01:46 PM

How about that, Bruce! You helped a fellow filmmaker! :) Hoping your eye heals quickly and vision is restored.

Simon Wood August 13th, 2012 01:54 PM

And aren't eyes the..err..."window" to the soul. Window, like glass? Ok, never mind.

I'm busting myself trying to get a documentary done for the Rode Rockumentary competition, but its all going wrong. Typical enough the first time I have serious audio issues is for a microphone themed competition! Am I allowed to talk about other competitions here? They don't have a wonder and woe venting outlet at the Rode competition you see....

Anyway, I think I'm just going to film one of those "an Irishman, Englishman and a Scotsman walks into a bar..." joke for this one. They'll all be drinking out of glasses. I hope thats thematic enough!

Failing that; are short documentaries actually allowed for the DVC challenge?

Lorinda Norton August 13th, 2012 01:58 PM

You bet, Simon! Any genre.

James Huenergardt August 13th, 2012 06:50 PM

Wow Bruce, hope things go well for you. That's crazy.

I actually fly for an Ophthalmology group who do mostly cataract and LASIK procedures, so I've heard some of those medical terms.

That being said, as much as I'd LOVE to enter to win the Black Magic camera, I have too much paying work (good thing) at this point to take any time to do anything at this point.

That's always my problem. I make a living at video production, and am usually too busy to do short films.

Oh well. Good luck everyone!

Bruce Foreman August 14th, 2012 07:55 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dick Mays (Post 1748281)
Bruce,

Gosh, I would film that eye, stage some accident with glass, kind of backfill the story. Glass somehow cut your eye open, that fits the theme, doesn't it. Gives you a powerful "visceral visual," as I like to call them.

Well I did have my daughter take a quick still of it when we got home.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dick Mays (Post 1748281)
I wrote a script, but Bruce's eye is giving me a whole 'nuther idea. Might have to go a different direction.

You guys are just full of ideas. But if it turns out I can "get it together" I hope y'all understand if I take a different direction.

I do appreciate all the commiserating thoughts expressed though, and if one of you takes the suggested idea and runs with it....I'll watch it.

Bruce Foreman August 14th, 2012 08:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by James Huenergardt (Post 1748322)
Wow Bruce, hope things go well for you. That's crazy.

Yeah, I thought so too. It's coming along good so far. All the eyelid stitches are out, I guess the ones under the eyelid are dissolving, and it looks like vision is almost back to normal. Biggest concern now is keeping dust and crud out of that eye.

The accident happened just 5 days before I was to have laser surgery in that eye to seal off some blood vessel leakage. Rescheduled of course.

Chris Barcellos August 14th, 2012 10:29 PM

You win the prize Bruce for Tales of Woe. I hope you get through this quick. That one eye thing is a real drag -- you might remember me going through Bells Palsy a few years back. Patch over eye for weeks. Glad to recovery is going quick !!