Frame 37 - The Making of - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The Archives > The DV Challenge

The DV Challenge
An organized theme-based competition where Content is King!

Old September 21st, 2005, 11:43 AM   #16
Trustee

I had just enough time and actually, since I got a leap on the scripting, which I may post on the web site later, I felt the pace was good this time around. In DVC2 I was rushed. This one, hopefully doesn't look rushed or unfinished. I am still waiting to do a final VO for "Secrets" to get it finished out the way I wanted it to be.

This one is just about right. I'm not sure it's going to carry me into the top 10 or so this time around as everyone is doing so darned good in this challenge.

Glad you liked it. I wrote the musicians invloved. They think it's a great use of their music. That makes me feel better (perhaps) than winning. Realizing a dream is better than prizes, mostly.

Sean

http://www.DeepBlueEdit.com
Sean McHenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 21st, 2005, 12:27 PM   #17
Regular Crew

Sean, just to add a couple of words:

Many movies took the suck-into-camera concept in DVC#3. In yours, however, you managed to get it refined to a whole new level, by introducing the mystic concept of humans as beings of [limited] light.

Once again, technically perfect, conceptually sublime.

Hugo
Hugo Pinto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 21st, 2005, 01:27 PM   #18
Trustee

I think it comes from my liking of not being spoon fed every action. I read (most of) Mamets book on directing. He likes to say "It's in the cut" which I take as, the heart of the action doesn't have to be completly spelled out for the viewer. You can create more tension in the audience by letting them imagine and think for themselves.

I allowed the character to just disapear without special effects or smoke, etc. More interesting to have her just fade away between shots and let the audience wonder if that's what happened and imagine her condition, fear, pain, relief, etc as she was fading away. For me in that situation I always see the worst in my head.

Anyway, that is always my intent. I hope it actually worked better here than perhaps in "Secrets". That was really not quite finished to my liking. In fact, I am still thinking of how I want to do a final edit on that one.

Thanks for the kind words. I appreciate them. Glad you enjoyed it.

Sean

Old September 21st, 2005, 01:33 PM   #19
Regular Crew

First off, you have a great name and spell it correctly. I thought it was well done. You told the story well. Interesting choice to use dissolves instead of cuts. Don't feel bad about having to act in your own stuff. It happens to everybody. Definitely a great short overall.
Sean Buck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 21st, 2005, 01:48 PM   #20
Trustee

Same on your name. Have you seen the weather guy on cable that calls himself "SEEN". Dolt. I hope you are pronouncing it like Sean Connery, now that I said that...

I was called SEEN by many grade school teachers. By High School, they had it figured out. Thank you Sean Connery.

There was a site, may still be up called IBOS. International Brotherhood of Seans.

Anyway, happy you liked it. Waiting for the Judging this weekend.

Sean (the other one)
EDIT -----------

And don't forget to hit the web page for the short at http://www.surgetechservices.com/smchenry/

Old September 21st, 2005, 04:23 PM   #21
Major Player

Sean,

Just watched your flick. Beautiful pictures. I can tell that most of ya'll must D.P. for a living. But hey, you look way TOO young to have such a BABE for a daughter! Did you get started in seventh grade??? That's not uncommon down here in Georgia, but I thought you guys were more refined!

I like your use of the disolve. I should've used dissolves in Ektachrome when he was moving the lights around. Learning, learning, learning...

Dick (another great name) Mays
Dick Mays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 21st, 2005, 04:53 PM   #22
Trustee

Well, I get that sometimes. All the daughters are pretty cute. Unfortunatly for me the gene pool is elsewhere. My wife and I are both remarried. She is a year older than me but that's it. Us TV guys, working in the dark and all, other than a little extra weight for us behind the scenes guys, seems to preserve us a touch better than some I suppose.

Thanks though. She enjoys the compliments, especially about her acting. It was a first time for her, and for her sister in DVC2.

Sean

Old September 21st, 2005, 05:04 PM   #23
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean McHenry
Same on your name. Have you seen the weather guy on cable that calls himself "SEEN". Dolt. I hope you are pronouncing it like Sean Connery, now that I said that...

I was called SEEN by many grade school teachers. By High School, they had it figured out. Thank you Sean Connery.

There was a site, may still be up called IBOS. International Brotherhood of Seans.

Anyway, happy you liked it. Waiting for the Judging this weekend.

Sean (the other one)
EDIT -----------

And don't forget to hit the web page for the short at http://www.surgetechservices.com/smchenry/
I was named after Sean Connery. Parents first date was to a Bond movie. Was not as common of a name in the early '70s so they settled on that one. Been called "Seen" all my life. Still get it here in L.A.
Old September 21st, 2005, 05:19 PM   #24
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean Buck
Been called "Seen" all my life. Still get it here in L.A.
Could be worse, I've been called Dick all my life...
Dick Mays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 21st, 2005, 05:27 PM   #25
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick Mays
Very true. You have the upper hand there.
Old September 21st, 2005, 05:41 PM   #26
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick Mays
Me too, but just by the neighbor kids and my older brother.
-Jon
Old September 21st, 2005, 05:59 PM   #27
Trustee

ustillgotit

What can I say to the reigning King of the Hill from DVC2,...you still got it my my man....again, a very expertly composed piece. Your angles were very good and creative. Your pacing was very fluid, and it all seemed layered perfectly enough to suck me in. I especially loved small details like the end sequence when you walked in the door and approached the couch. The angle you used as you bent over the couch and noted the smell of the sandwich and then cut briefly to the sandwich. Very smooth. Creepy last frame to go with the eerie sound track. Nicely done.

-Jon

Last edited by Jonathan Jones; September 21st, 2005 at 09:47 PM.
Jonathan Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 21st, 2005, 09:41 PM   #28
Major Player

Hey Sean! Absolutely terrific!

(I'm sorry I'm late to the party on your film). I thoroughly enjoyed this whole concept of "without light...we cease to exist". Your heading into deep waters and I like that. This film was put together well with much thought and consideration.

What may be even more "spooky" than the end was your description of that unknown frame that Vanessa did not take! YeeeeHaaa!

Can you let me know if you chose that accent for a specific reason...am curious? Had you considered shooting a CU or ECU of your face in dismay/loss?

Your choice of music was superb, especially the end sequence, that to me almost had a Quentin Tarrantino feel.Your daughter Vanessa did a wonderful job with her acting and I'm sure you are quite proud. Hopefully she will want to do some more?

Great film Sean...Bravo!
Bradley L Marlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 21st, 2005, 10:58 PM   #29
Major Player

Fantastic work. Everything about it was great. Bravo.
Richard Zlamany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 21st, 2005, 11:21 PM   #30
Trustee

Bradley, and everyone else, thanks again. Anyone here ever see "Millennium". Loved that show. I have just finished watching all three seasons on DVD. Amazing. That's what I want to do. That level of darkness. I don't know why. Never tortured small animals or anything, I'm just looking at the world and I keep asking, what's going on here? I want to make people think. I have a long way to go yet. I hope I live long enough.

On the accent, you know I was thinking about that just this evening. I think I chose a rather Germainc/Austrian sort of accent only because I keep thinking I need a running dialog from a fatherly figure with conviction. I keep thinking Freud is the role model for that and I hear that sort of accent when I think of him. I needed an authority that could be believed and not questioned. A generally soft spoken but firm German accent to me means no-nonsense and listen to me, I am telling the scientific truth.

I'm pretty midwestern, most of my life in Ohio. I sound that way for the most part too.

Is it me or does everyone hate their own voice on recordings.

Thanks again everyone. I may not win but I'm doing what I like and it seems lots of you guys like it too. I'm geared toward this stuff so I'll keep in the genre for a while. Maybe something with clowns for Holloween? Overdone perhaps. Maybe psychic killer mice.

Night all.

Sean

Sean McHenry is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The Archives > The DV Challenge