DVC #3 "IRIS The KILLER" - Feedback - Page 4 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The Archives > The DV Challenge
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

The DV Challenge
An organized theme-based competition where Content is King!

Old September 20th, 2005, 01:50 PM   #46
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean Buck
Really liked your short Bradley, but you have ruined me. That twisted faits line stuck in my head all day. When I went to lunch, just as the food arrived my cell phone rang. I immediatly shouted "twisted faits". Everyone I was with looked perplexed. I just laughed. Good job!
LOL Sean- I'm so glad to have been able to contribute to your delerium. Now there are two of us and I don't feel alone...lol

Thank you for the nice comments Sean.
Bradley L Marlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 20th, 2005, 02:01 PM   #47
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy Cochran
Really enjoyed this one. As a long time Canon XL1-S user, I knew the footage right away. I would have loved to have seen what the interior dialogue scenes would look like shot in Frame Movie Mode or using a Tiffen Black Pro Mist 1/2 Filter. I think it would have taken a bit of the video look off. That camera produces some really nice pictures placed in the hands of someone who gets to know it. You've got a good eye. Maybe if you have some time perform a few tests for your next shoot and see how you like the look. Oh and try -3db gain too.

Would have liked to also see what some of the cuts looked like with the audio rolled back a few frames before the cut. A few J-cuts can give the view anticipation of what they're about to see, for example hearing the water before you actually see it. Hearing the characters dialogue or footsteps before you see them. Just overlap a bit of the upcoming scene's audio with the next cut...makes editing flow...lets the viewer concentrate on story.

I always shoot with at least 5 seconds of pre-roll to allow for J cuts and at the tail always allow 5 seconds of post-roll for L cuts...fades etc...

Hope this helps,
Hi Guy! Thank you so much for your comments. You are the man!

My original intention was actually to shoot FMM for everything. Then, just days before the competition launched, I contacted Graeme Natress via e-mail concerning his Film Effects Filters which I was completely prepared to purchase. He said that for these filters to be most effective, shooting in Normal mode was the way to go (NOT Frame Mode).

So- made the final decision to shoot majority Normal, 4:3 with 16:9 guides, letterbox in post. Problem was I ran out of cash for this shoot and was unable to purchase the Natress Film Effects Filters. Ha! (Will have some more cash soon, buy Nattress- so that won't happen again...lol)

Your suggestion on the Tiffen Black Pro Mist filter is excellent and on my list...and thank you for the J cut editing tips too. Most appreciated.

Thank you for taking the time to comment here Guy!
Old September 21st, 2005, 03:58 PM   #48
Trustee

stunning

Bradley,
I didn't see it coming. I loved the transition of perspective as details emerged about Iris - from mysterious and frightening to tragic and beautiful. Pretty cool to layer the tale over the facial expressions of the two guys, plus scenery, plus Iris, and Iris's stuff. You told a great deal in a short amount of time, and you did it beautifully.

As ad added bonus, your footage looked stunning, both the natural ones as well as the framed and lit ones, the colors and images just looked sooooo good! I loved this one. Thanks for making it. Very nice.
-Jon
Old September 21st, 2005, 09:09 PM   #49
Major Player

Thank you for the kind words Jonathan!

I am so happy you liked the film and really appreciate you taking some time to write.

jonjonesforpresident - You got my vote!
Old September 22nd, 2005, 12:58 PM   #50
Major Player

I've just had the opportunity to begin watching the shorts from the past three days. I watched one or two, but not yours.

At first I thought this was going to be some type of a messed-up-war-veteran, psycho killer movie--something that just does not do much for me. However, you took the story in a 180 degree opposite direction form where I thought it was going and then threw in a final surprise with the cane!

This is the type of movie I admire most. The kind that is not predictable and makes you question your reasons for being prejudiced at the beginning.

The scenes with the coffee drinking and chaw spitting worried me though. I thought that one of them was going to accidentally pick up the chaw cup and drink from it instead of the coffee.

Great job and well executed!
Old September 22nd, 2005, 01:05 PM   #51
Major Player

Hi Jeff-

Thank you very much for your comments! I really appreciate the Sci Fi Master with "Gardens of Tommorrow" Part 1 and 2 commenting here.

Quote:
"However, you took the story in a 180 degree opposite direction form where I thought it was going and then threw in a final surprise with the cane! This is the type of movie I admire most. The kind that is not predictable and makes you question your reasons for being prejudiced at the beginning."
This was one of my main hopes and am so glad that the story took you in this direction.
Old September 22nd, 2005, 02:11 PM   #52
Regular Crew

One of the best so far and the cinematography was as great as the audio. The story was also interesting and clever. I thoroughly enjoyed this one.
Jeff Tyler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 22nd, 2005, 03:20 PM   #53
Trustee

While watching this last night with the wife and the star of Frame 37, my daughter, we were a little thrown by 2 of bits of what might be stray audio? There is a "Hope I didn't get any on ya" line sort of hanging out in the middle of dialog that they looked at me with blank faces over and another one I can't recall but I think it was a "Good morning sunshine" someplace. There wasn't a visual reference so it just seemed like a wild narrative slung out there.

Personally, other than that, yours and Lorindas are my favs. I'm sort of partial to mine you understand. I got up this morning and went out to the car and hit the garage door opener and found my self saying, you guessed it, "Good morning sunshine."

Sean

http://www.DeepBlueEdit.com
Sean McHenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 22nd, 2005, 06:50 PM   #54
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Tyler
One of the best so far and the cinematography was as great as the audio. The story was also interesting and clever. I thoroughly enjoyed this one.
Hi Jeff-

Thank you very much and I'm glad you enjoyed the film.
Old September 22nd, 2005, 06:59 PM   #55
Major Player

[QUOTE=Jeff Sayre]
The scenes with the coffee drinking and chaw spitting worried me though. I thought that one of them was going to accidentally pick up the chaw cup and drink from it instead of the coffee.
QUOTE]

I thought the same thing. Probably because this happened to me in college at Purdue. My roommate chewed Red Man. NASTY!
Dick Mays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 22nd, 2005, 07:11 PM   #56
Major Player

Sean McHenry-

Thank you Sean...wow!

I have nothing but respect for all the filmmakers here.

Naturally, as you are the winner of DVC#2 (and a great guy to boot), I hold you in very high esteem. Am thrilled that you find this film "Iris the Killer" and Lorinda's "Last Words" your personal favorites. I sure appreciate your comments and let's NOT forget "Frame 37". Thank you so much!
Old September 22nd, 2005, 07:20 PM   #57
Major Player

[QUOTE=Dick Mays]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Sayre
QUOTE]

I thought the same thing. Probably because this happened to me in college at Purdue. My roommate chewed Red Man. NASTY!
lol Dick!

As a youngster, i fooled around with chewing tobacco. Had some friends that chewed all the time. I remember I was hosting this party in the basement of my parents house at the ripe old age of 16. We were playing pool and I made the mistake of taking a swig of chaw spit (rather than the beer I thought it was). GAWD Awful! Of course, with my yelling, screaming and writhing on the floor, I became the life of the party.
Old September 23rd, 2005, 08:47 AM   #58
Trustee

I too tried it once, in the Air Force, Sheppard AFB where I was stationed for some training. My first mistake was choosing that awful wintergreen flavored Beechnut to start with. I have no idea how, or especially why anyone would use that stuff in the first place. Tastes so bad you have to keep spitting it out, makes you sick if you swallow it, rots your gums, makes your breath smell funny and turns your teeth yellow. My kind of hobby.

Sorry but you guys that do have no idea what you put the rest of us through. I once bought a car from a guy that chewed, had to imediatly replace the inside driver side door panels. Gawd what a mess.

Sean

http://www.DeepBlueEdit.com
Sean McHenry is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The Archives > The DV Challenge