Cell phones ... the new cigarette? - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The Archives > The DV Challenge
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

The DV Challenge
An organized theme-based competition where Content is King!

Old September 20th, 2005, 08:21 AM   #16
Space Hipster

Yes, cellphones are the new cigarettes. Having entered a few short film contests as well as spent a couple of years running local film group screenings where I had to look at a several hundred of short films a year, patterns do emerge :)

(1) Guns (instant drama) - in this years 48 Hour in Greensboro, 2/3 of the films used guns.
(2) Blood (more is better)
(3) Cellphones (too bad they don't usually emit smoke)
(4) People waking up with an alarm clock at the beginning of a film
(5) Brushing teeth, looking in mirror
(6) Movies where all the cast is 20 years old but setting is government, corporate etc.

Maybe the next DV Challenge we should have everybody include the elements above "Cliche Horror! - You'll laugh, you'll cry, you'll die!"
Old September 20th, 2005, 09:06 AM   #17
Major Player

I'm day 5 and guilty, but the celphone use IS in character.
" When some wild-eyed, eight foot tall maniac grabs your neck, taps the back of your favorite head against a bar room wall, and looks you crooked in the eye, and he asks you if you've payed your dues, well, you just stare that big suker right back in the eye, and you remember what old Jack Burton always says at a time like that, 'Have you paid your dues, Jack? Yes sir, the check is in the mail."
Michael Gibbons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 20th, 2005, 10:04 AM   #18
Trustee

Why heck. I think I'll ad a few more cell phones and EVERYONE will smoke in my next short. So there.

Actually, that may be a bad idea after all. Come to think of it, if we eliminate all the usual stuff from the list above, like looking in the mirror, etc. I don't have anything to work with.

Ah well. Maybe my next goal will be to include all those elements in one scene. A guys got to have a goal.

Sean

http://www.DeepBlueEdit.com
Sean McHenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 20th, 2005, 10:06 AM   #19
Wrangler

The more cliches the better, that's what I always say. Remains true whether we're talkin' movies or posts :-)
Old September 20th, 2005, 10:07 AM   #20
Trustee

Wow I think my film used all of those cliche's maybe I cna just clean it up and enter it again for the october contest.
Old September 20th, 2005, 11:48 AM   #21
Space Hipster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Hiltgen
Wow I think my film used all of those cliche's maybe I cna just clean it up and enter it again for the october contest.
Don't sweat - we all often use cliches because they are needed in our stories. I used looking in the mirror in my 48 Hour Film because I need the character to be imagining things and the mirror worked for it. Fortunately, my character was not brushing her teeth though :)
Old September 20th, 2005, 02:54 PM   #22
Major Player

I think some of these things are inevitable, depending on what sort of movies you want to make.
It could be done I'm sure, but it would be hard to make a modern day action movie, or a WWII movie without having some guns, for instance.
Furthermore, I'm going to go outside right now to talk on my cellphone and smoke a cigarette- these are things people do, lots and lots of people. You might just as well say that it is a cliche to drive a car and/or wear clothes.
" When some wild-eyed, eight foot tall maniac grabs your neck, taps the back of your favorite head against a bar room wall, and looks you crooked in the eye, and he asks you if you've payed your dues, well, you just stare that big suker right back in the eye, and you remember what old Jack Burton always says at a time like that, 'Have you paid your dues, Jack? Yes sir, the check is in the mail."
Old September 20th, 2005, 04:39 PM   #23
Space Hipster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Gibbons
I think some of these things are inevitable, depending on what sort of movies you want to make.
It could be done I'm sure, but it would be hard to make a modern day action movie, or a WWII movie without having some guns, for instance.
Furthermore, I'm going to go outside right now to talk on my cellphone and smoke a cigarette- these are things people do, lots and lots of people. You might just as well say that it is a cliche to drive a car and/or wear clothes.
I think there is more to it than that.. [FILM PROFESSOR RANT ON]

First, "action movies" are only one of many genres possible and there is more possibilities for stories that don't involve guns that ones that do. Second, plenty of people in WWII never saw or touched a gun in person - they have stories as well.

Last, people do lots of things everyday that you don't see in movies in the frequency you see in real life (e.g. eating a meal or wiping their butts) and despite the fact that the way we do those things reveal much more about us that talking on a cell phone or smoking a cigarette. But it's not the fact that we eat it's how we eat that is interesting. Personally, there is much more creative potential to be mined in eating, sex, personal hygiene etc. than cellphones.

Kubrick, one of my faves, frequently featured characters eating in specific situations that showed us a lot about the character. That's how you transcend cliche.

[FILM PROFESSOR RANT OFF]
Old September 20th, 2005, 04:49 PM   #24
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen van Vuuren
Personally, there is much more creative potential to be mined in eating, sex, personal hygiene etc. than cellphones.

Kubrick, one of my faves, frequently featured characters eating in specific situations that showed us a lot about the character. That's how you transcend cliche.
You said it there. It's just a matter of getting ideas to show your message. On budget you go with the cheapest.. :)

And actually... you are now rising the bar for DVC4... I know I will think a step longer to find alternative ways to deliver my message.
Fredrik-Larsson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 20th, 2005, 04:53 PM   #25
Space Hipster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fredrik-Larsson
You said it there. It's just a matter of getting ideas to show your message. On budget you go with the cheapest.. :)

And actually... you are now rising the bar for DVC4... I know I will think a step longer to find alternative ways to deliver my message.
Thinking is always cheap :) Too bad Hollywood does not have less money and more time to think...

Of course, cell phones could be used creatively as well. I'm still hoping someone has come up with a cool idea with the cameras on cell phones for DVC3...
Old September 21st, 2005, 09:09 AM   #26
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen van Vuuren
I think there is more to it than that.. [FILM PROFESSOR RANT ON]

First, "action movies" are only one of many genres possible and there is more possibilities for stories that don't involve guns that ones that do. Second, plenty of people in WWII never saw or touched a gun in person - they have stories as well.

Last, people do lots of things everyday that you don't see in movies in the frequency you see in real life (e.g. eating a meal or wiping their butts) and despite the fact that the way we do those things reveal much more about us that talking on a cell phone or smoking a cigarette. But it's not the fact that we eat it's how we eat that is interesting. Personally, there is much more creative potential to be mined in eating, sex, personal hygiene etc. than cellphones.

[FILM PROFESSOR RANT OFF]
Well, I don't disagree with any of that, actually. It's just that, personally, I'm not interested in making movies of that sort. I'm not hell bent on including guns, cigarettes or cellphones either, though.
Old September 21st, 2005, 05:03 PM   #27
Wrangler

Just so people don't take this post too seriously. Feel free to use cliches in your shorts. A tired old cliche that tells your story, will raise your vote.

In this challenge, there were several tired and old cliches, that were well used and did raise my vote ...
Old September 22nd, 2005, 09:21 AM   #28
Wrangler

I said Day 5, but was off by a few films. The one to which I refered earlier is Sean Buck's "Snap" up today.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The Archives > The DV Challenge