DVC3 "Erasure" - Feedback at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The Archives > The DV Challenge

The DV Challenge
An organized theme-based competition where Content is King!

Old September 19th, 2005, 10:35 PM   #1
Regular Crew

DVC3 "Erasure" - Feedback

Well seems everyone else is doing it so heres a thread for feedback on mine.

The Theme for DVC3 didn't really excite me too much hehe but i managed to pull something together even with the bad weather and complaining actors and using my friends camera (cause mine still away getting fixed)

Oh if your wondering why theres no dialogue its because the guy holding the mic didn't turn it on :( (HELP!! i need a real crew) but anyways it was windy and prolly wouldn;t have been much use if it had been turned on.

Its really short so if its really bad you don't have to stand it for long hehe

Let me know ya thoughts....
Phillip Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 19th, 2005, 10:45 PM   #2
Wrangler

Hi Phillip,
Glad you could join the party! :)

I really liked your movie and, no, I didn't wonder why it was silent. The score you used worked quite well--that and your choices of shots told the story perfectly. But that's a funny behind-the-scenes story!

Nice job!!
Old September 19th, 2005, 11:02 PM   #3
Major Player

Hey Phillip! I'm glad you joined the party too.

Wonderful job on your movie Erasure!

I agree with Lorinda that the soundtrack worked very well and liked the silent movie feel with a bit of the waves coming in. Nice mix.

Am curious on the cut where the guy gets sucked in the camera and disappears...the camera stays in the air a few frames before dropping to the ground. Well done! Care to share on the process of this?

Now, my question is did you leave your poor actors in the camera...or did you finally let them out?
Bradley L Marlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 19th, 2005, 11:35 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Thanks for the comments.

Glad you liked the music its my first attempt at doing my own score :)

To do that shot i was holding the camera from the right of the frame, the actor just had his hand there to look like he was holding the camera, then he steped out of frame then i droped the camera, left the camera running for a background plate then in post just roto'ed my arm out. and used a fade to remove the actor. simple stuff :)
Old September 19th, 2005, 11:36 PM   #5
Regular Crew

Oh and no i didn't let the actors out, i'm keeping them in there and will bring them out to use in DVC#4 hehe :)
Old September 19th, 2005, 11:42 PM   #6
Regular Crew

Philip,

Really nice, really simple, really fun movie.

The actors played it well too (althought I feel sorry for their fate ;) ), and overall it was a good composition, without pushing the 4-minutes limit.

Good film, good work.

Hugo
Hugo Pinto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 20th, 2005, 12:06 AM   #7
Major Player

That was awesome. The end was brilliantly done. Great rise in action.
Richard Zlamany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 20th, 2005, 01:02 AM   #8
Major Player

Very nice indeed. I was going to ask about the dialogue and I like you said it probably would be useless in that strong wind. It worked out nice though.

Regarding dropping the camera. A friend of mine had an idea that one friend should drop my newly bought camera and it will be like a short conflict drama. But I had no idea on how to simulate the drop. Did you actually drop you camera?

And a smart move to keep the actors inside the camera until DVC4. But maybe you should snap some food into them :)
Fredrik-Larsson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 20th, 2005, 04:12 AM   #9
Wrangler

i thought this was really cool. my personal favorite, for the clean lines, simplicity, tautness of storytelling. possibly the lack of dialogue was even an unintentional improvement, because the story was clear and the silence drew us more into gesture, expression, movement. sometimes less is more.
Meryem Ersoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 20th, 2005, 07:28 AM   #10
Trustee

Actually, the lack of character sound was a good thing. I like it the way it turned out. I don't know what their dialog would have been but I don't think it could have been told better with dialog.

My only question is this, does the still camera have a blue screen when it is between images? Some do as I recall. Another option, would have been to shoot a bright blue screen and chroma key it.

Although your keyframing actually worked pretty well. I don't think any keyframable moves have a soft edge option but that would have helped the oh so tiny lines around the view screen as you pulled out. It looked pretty good overall. Predictable perhaps but executed well.

Sean

http://www.DeepBlueEdit.com
Sean McHenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 20th, 2005, 07:39 AM   #11
Regular Crew

I thought it was a cool short. I really liked that it was a silent film and it looked to me like it was done on purpose. Of course, I also thought the camera hanging for a frame or two was a cool effect.

All in all, I really liked it... It makes me feel like I need to go to the beach... hmm...

-Josh
Josh Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 20th, 2005, 12:51 PM   #12
Regular Crew

Nice job. I too enjoyed the aspect of telling the story without the dialogue. It could have been worse. That guy could have been caught in the camera with some annoying person!
Sean Buck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 20th, 2005, 11:26 PM   #13
Regular Crew

Fredrik - Yeah the camera was droped for real and was caught just below the frame. with that camera i wouldn;t care if it hit the ground anyway which is why i did have another shot where the camera does get droped to the ground but i decided it wasn't nessary to see that.

Sean - The camera was turned off in that last shot, and yeah you can see i didn't bother to roto the screen properly and you see the black lines but hey i didn't see it nessary spending the time (i'm too lazy and undermotivated hehe), i did feather the edges to begin with but made it look worse so i just went with the hard edge.

Josh - Yeah i left it hanging there for a bit cause it seemed to fast to have it fall straight away, hmmm maybe it shows the camera has some life and power too hehe
Old September 21st, 2005, 08:17 AM   #14
Trustee

Hanging mid air like that, even though only for a half second, reminds me of Wylie C. Cyotee. Roadrunner cartoons. They always hang long enough to give you that look.

I wonder if it would roto better if it were progressive? No raster lines in the edit process. Hmmm...

Sean

http://www.DeepBlueEdit.com
Sean McHenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 21st, 2005, 12:19 PM   #15
Regular Crew

Sean - Yeah interlaced sucks! but thats what i was stuck with, having to use my friends camera while mine still away getting fixed :(
Phillip Jackson is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The Archives > The DV Challenge