DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   The DV Challenge (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/dv-challenge/)
-   -   DVC3 "Still Life" Feedback (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/dv-challenge/51433-dvc3-still-life-feedback.html)

Jeff Tyler September 20th, 2005 12:57 PM

DVC3 "Still Life" Feedback

I would love to hear some feedback and criticism about my short for dvc3. It took a few days to come up with the idea, and after a few scraps. We had what we want. I filmed with a Panasonic PV-GS150 with my homemade 35mm adapter. It was my first with the adapter, and I must say, filming upside-down is no easy task!
Looking forward to see what everyone has to say.

Sincerely,
Jeff Tyler

Stephen van Vuuren September 20th, 2005 01:48 PM

My favorite so far - inventive story with nice beginning, middle and end, creative effects, and elements (visual, cast, music) blended well.

Great job.

Dick Mays September 20th, 2005 02:37 PM

Jeff,

Great still image special effects. Especially looking at the coke being poured. How'd you do this? I can overlay video over a still image with a green screen, but elbows on the table? Face behind the coke stream? This effect is beyond my limited abilities.

Dick

Sean McHenry September 20th, 2005 02:41 PM

OK, I give too. Very impressive effect. You have to do a web page or at least spill your secret here.

Well done.

Sean

Bradley L Marlow September 20th, 2005 03:08 PM

Jeff!

You have a great film here and I, like the others am very curious how you did your special effects.

Care to comment?

Great job!

Jeff Tyler September 20th, 2005 03:11 PM

Thanks for the feedback. What I did to create the effect, was I first filmed the shot of the one actor pouring the soda. I kept the camera on a tripod. I then had my friend who is using the camera come in and focus on a point above the table where the soda was being poured. I then did frame by frame masking in after effects. I realized then that the focus what be a bit wierd, so I crossfaded the soda blur so it would look like I was rack focusing the camera.

Bradley L Marlow September 20th, 2005 03:12 PM

Brilliant!

Sean McHenry September 20th, 2005 03:27 PM

So it was a matte. Not bad. And since it was a still frame and you had no motion in the foreground shot, that make sense, and looked pretty good.

Not knowing AE, can you do a soft edge on the matte?

Looks good on the small screen. How did it look on the monitors/televisions?

I am working on a DVD compilation of all the videos and will be asking for full rez versions to make the DVD from so be prepared.

Sean

Sean Buck September 20th, 2005 06:27 PM

Great job. Good story. Your visual f/x were great. Having to do that masking by hand is very teadious and is much appreaciated. Overall great job.

Jeff Tyler September 20th, 2005 07:06 PM

It looks good on the big screen (my tv). The mask is very detailed and is pretty much flawless AFAIK. Thanks for the feedback.

EDIT- and yes you can do a soft matte(feathering) in AE.

Meryem Ersoz September 20th, 2005 07:26 PM

i'm not sure what is more interesting, the video itself or listening to you describe the special effects story-behind-the-story. fascinating! inspiring! and a great little video, too.

Richard Zlamany September 20th, 2005 08:06 PM

That was fantastic and creative. Great job.

Elvis Deane September 20th, 2005 09:48 PM

It's got such a beautiful dreamy quality to the pictures. It was a great to watch first thing in the morning to lift the spirits. Nice job!

Robert Mann Z. September 20th, 2005 09:52 PM

great special effects...i was expecting an hp printer at the end though...solid job, well done

Lorinda Norton September 20th, 2005 10:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Robert Mann Z.
...i was expecting an hp printer at the end though...

That's it! LOL. I couldn't put my finger on it, but leave it to you, Robert. :) I happen to really like good and innovative television ads so the fact that this reminded me of one just a little is a plus, in my mind. I thought it was delightful!

As Elvis said, (I can't get the page to open on yours, Elvis!) the overall sunshiny color and tone made me feel good.

Thank you so much for sharing what you can do with us, Jeff. You did a wonderful job.