DVC 23 Theme Announcement!! - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The Archives > The DV Challenge
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

The DV Challenge
An organized theme-based competition where Content is King!

Old September 16th, 2013, 06:16 AM   #16
Major Player

Re: DVC 23 Theme Announcement!!

September 30th is harsh! Did this used to be a month in length?

I just found a really good mystery that would be a good subject for a short documentary - but it'll take a while to try and interview all the people involved, along with a few expert opinion interviews. Possibly need to get access to files and photos, as well as shoot a few 'reconstruction' scenes.

Time extension please!!!
Simon Wood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 16th, 2013, 08:00 AM   #17
Major Player

Simon, it's only 3 minutes max in lenght, but you outlined an idea that seems a lot err... lenghtier.
---

As for me, I have a few ideas, will try to make something happen - quite surreal, as always.
Old September 16th, 2013, 09:23 AM   #18
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andris Krastins View Post
Simon, it's only 3 minutes max in lenght, but you outlined an idea that seems a lot err... lenghtier.
---

As for me, I have a few ideas, will try to make something happen - quite surreal, as always.
Well, I enjoy crash-cut editing; you'd be surprised how much I can fit in 3 minutes!
Old September 16th, 2013, 12:51 PM   #19
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon Wood View Post
September 30th is harsh! Did this used to be a month in length?

I just found a really good mystery that would be a good subject for a short documentary - but it'll take a while to try and interview all the people involved, along with a few expert opinion interviews. Possibly need to get access to files and photos, as well as shoot a few 'reconstruction' scenes.

Time extension please!!!
We put the challenge back in the DV Challenge, baby! :) We went through a phase of spoiling everyone; but it used to be 10 days, so I felt like this was pretty generous. You'll get 'er done!!
Old September 16th, 2013, 01:30 PM   #20
Major Player

Ouch!

Ok, time to get into gear!
Old September 16th, 2013, 02:04 PM   #21
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Burleigh View Post
Damn, and I thought 1 page = 1 minute. My script came out at 3.5 pages. I was kinda hoping that, as there is little dialogue, I'd be able to compress the action.

Guess I'm really going to have to storyboard and time the shots....
You could very well be right, Marc; I was going from memory. Actually, I was hoping someone would challenge what I said. Let us know, okay?
Old September 19th, 2013, 05:11 AM   #22
New Boot

I've only got my script cut down to 4.5 pages, and am going to push my luck in editing from there. :)

I've know it breaks the convention of 1 page per minute, but I can't justify (to myself) cutting out any more scenarios and still have my mystery unfold nicely.

However, things have come together nicely for casting and locations for my shoot this weekend. I've got two actors leaving town within hours of our scheduled wrap time, and two are from out of town and only here for the weekend! For locations, I have to pay to rent one of them, but those have all been secured in the last day or two as well.

Looking forward to shooting, and looking forward to seeing what everyone else comes up with!
Randy Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 22nd, 2013, 02:27 PM   #23
New Boot

Hi, do we just post our submissions on this thread or is there somewhere specific?

Thanks
Sean Clancy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 22nd, 2013, 02:39 PM   #24
Wrangler

Good question, Sean; you made me read through the rules only to find that submission info isn't listed!

Upload your film to either Vimeo or YouTube (or both), making it private for now. Email a link, with the password, to thedvchallenge@gmail.com, providing your name, the title of your film, and the link in the body of the email.

When the submission date is past there will be notification about the films going public and when to post your feedback thread in the Feedback subforum.
Old September 22nd, 2013, 04:34 PM   #25
New Boot

Thanks for the quick response Lorinda!
Sean Clancy is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The Archives > The DV Challenge