DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   The DV Challenge (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/dv-challenge/)
-   -   Dv Challenge 4... THEME ANNOUNCEMENT! Ready, Set.... Go!!! (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/dv-challenge/55355-dv-challenge-4-theme-announcement-ready-set-go.html)

Dylan Couper December 1st, 2005 03:47 PM

Dv Challenge 4... THEME ANNOUNCEMENT! Ready, Set.... Go!!!

For the theme of DVC 4, I was going to make it "What do the holidays mean to you" but that sounded like something your grade 4 teacher would have made you write over the break, so instead...

And the theme for DV Challenge #4 is:

SPIRIT

As always, you can interpret this any way you want, and there are certainly more than a few ways of looking at it, and more than a few definitions of the word... In fact, if anyone writes a story about drunken ghosts stealing Christmas goodwill you are golden. (if you don't get the 4way play on Spirit, nevermind) :)
Anyway, you now have until next Sunday night to complete, upload, and submit the URL to your film to thedvchallenge@hotmail.com

GO GO GO!!!!

Any questions, as them here!

Mark Utley December 1st, 2005 04:13 PM

Sweet! Any time restrictions or anything?

(as in length of the video)

Sean McHenry December 1st, 2005 04:37 PM

Nope, drunken ghosts, way to easy. I'll find a twist on this one if it kills me.

Ohhhhh. I got a good one...

Off to the races.

Sean

Fredrik-Larsson December 1st, 2005 05:01 PM

Sounds like a good theme! I was a bit worried at first but now I got a couple of ideas working... :)

Dylan Couper December 1st, 2005 05:38 PM

Just got my idea.

Anyone know where to get public domain christmas music? I'm sure lots of us will use it, so if anyone has good sources, love it if you share!

Dylan Couper December 1st, 2005 05:53 PM

Just to be a helpful chipmunk... from the dictionary:
SPIRIT:

1. The vital principle or animating force within living beings.
2. Incorporeal consciousness.
2. The soul, considered as departing from the body of a person at death.
3. Spirit The Holy Spirit.
4. A supernatural being, as:
1. An angel or a demon.
2. A being inhabiting or embodying a particular place, object, or natural phenomenon.
3. A fairy or sprite.
1. The part of a human associated with the mind, will, and feelings: Though unable to join us today, they are with us in spirit.
2. The essential nature of a person or group.
6. A person as characterized by a stated quality: He is a proud spirit.
1. An inclination or tendency of a specified kind: Her actions show a generous spirit.
2. A causative, activating, or essential principle: The couple's engagement was announced in a joyous spirit.
8. spirits A mood or an emotional state: The guests were in high spirits. His sour spirits put a damper on the gathering.
9. A particular mood or an emotional state characterized by vigor and animation: sang with spirit.
10. Strong loyalty or dedication: team spirit.
11. The predominant mood of an occasion or a period: “The spirit of 1776 is not dead” (Thomas Jefferson).
12. The actual though unstated sense or significance of something: the spirit of the law.
13. An alcohol solution of an essential or volatile substance. Often used in the plural with a singular verb.
14. spirits An alcoholic beverage, especially distilled liquor.

tr.v. spir·it·ed, spir·it·ing, spir·its

1. To carry off mysteriously or secretly: The documents had been spirited away.
2. To impart courage, animation, or determination to; inspirit.

Dick Mays December 1st, 2005 05:59 PM

No ideas yet, but I think I'll turn to the spirits for inspiration...
My good friends Mr. Beam and Mr. Daniels, will be sure to help out.

Craig Bellaire December 1st, 2005 06:32 PM

Music

I've been looking all day for free holiday music myself but no luck... www.freeplaymusic.com doesn't have this either...

Sean McHenry December 1st, 2005 09:41 PM

Being a ripe jolly old elf myself, take a look see around this site.

http://www.archive.org/search.php?qu...iatype%3Aaudio

Excellent stuff located here for the downloading including public domain movies.

Be sure it says it's public domain or mentions the open audio project, etc before you use it.

Sean McHenry

Andrew Hood December 2nd, 2005 01:11 AM

Just to clarify; it was originally announced that DVC4 would have a holiday theme. With the official theme being announced as SPIRIT, does it therefore have to be connected with Christmas or holidays in any way? Or just anything that is based on SPIRIT without any other restrictions to theme - so long as it's G rated and non-offensive.

Sean McHenry December 2nd, 2005 08:02 AM

Originally yes. It's been a while since this point has been mentioned. Chris?

I can go either way. Shhhhh. Typing up my script.... The Spirits are directing my fingers.....

Ohm mani pad mei ohm,...

Sean

Sean McHenry December 2nd, 2005 08:23 AM

Also, this site says their midi music can be used for free. Not sure if it's 100% kosher but here it is. http://www.christmasgifts.com/music.html

It's all midi but with a good sound card, some of them sound quite OK. There may still be copyright issue with the music itself, not the performance. Most folks forget that part.

Sean McHenry

Barry Gribble December 2nd, 2005 10:28 AM

Almost no recognizable Christmas music will be public domain, with the possible exception of the Nutcracker quite, but then ther performances will be copyrighted. A public-domain midi version might be fine...

Dylan Couper December 2nd, 2005 10:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Andrew Hood
Just to clarify; it was originally announced that DVC4 would have a holiday theme. With the official theme being announced as SPIRIT, does it therefore have to be connected with Christmas or holidays in any way? Or just anything that is based on SPIRIT without any other restrictions to theme - so long as it's G rated and non-offensive.

Well, here's the deal... I did specify that it would be holiday related, and specificaly about SPIRIT, so I would indeed suggest that you follow that path.

Also, as far as I know, there is nothing in the rules about it having to be G rated... :)

Sean McHenry December 2nd, 2005 03:09 PM

Script is mostly written. 6 pages. Ouch. Without camera direction yet too. I'm going to have to talk fast... How's everyone else doing?

One act, one scene, mostly.

If it works, it's going to be, interesting.

Dylan, how many entries did we end up with?

Sean