DVC4 Craig Bellaire "Finger Prints" entree at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The Archives > The DV Challenge
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

The DV Challenge
An organized theme-based competition where Content is King!

Old December 16th, 2005, 08:57 PM   #1
Major Player

DVC4 Craig Bellaire "Finger Prints" entree

Ok here is what I did for DVC4...

http://bellaire.homestead.com/files/...ingerPrint.wmv
http://bellaire.homestead.com/files/...ingerPrint.mov

Yep I went a bit emotional with the video and pulled at the heart a bit. But I figured I might as well make a video my daughter will be proud of and could remember, I also got a tear from the wife and mother in-law. I shot with a PDX 10. I have the Letus 35mm adapter but room lighting and the lens I have didn't work. I edit in Premier Pro, 60i DV, I did the intro with ULead 3d studio. Anyway I think it came out very nice. I don't think I would change much except I forgot to open the blinds while the wife sits at the table to reflect the Christmas tree lights in the window. Anyway best wishes to all the folks who was able to finish..
Old December 16th, 2005, 10:32 PM   #2
Trustee

I guess I'm the only nerd still hanging around the house at 11:30pm on a Friday night. I wanted to say you did a nice piece I'm sure you will want to make a DVD of and put in that scrapbook for the daughter to watch many years from now.

I'll have to watch them all a few times to make any real comments but it's a really nice piece.

Sean McHenry

http://www.DeepBlueEdit.com
Sean McHenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 17th, 2005, 06:01 AM   #3
Major Player

Thanks

The DVD, and scrapbook for the daughter was what I was after. I really need a good concept or be really inspired for me to do anything and she is it... I am hoping next time I can do something to even stretch me further.
What have I learned?

After being in the video/AV business for 18 years I still need help getting off the couch and doing something from start to finish.

I also like to see other video's from the same theme. It's just interesting.

And it's interesting to see where I compare quality wise to others, considering I have no clue what or how much they know or can do.

So really I'm competing with myself to produce the best that I can and let the prizes fall where they may.
Old December 17th, 2005, 04:26 PM   #4
Wrangler

Hi Craig,

What a cool gift to give to your family! Your wife and mother-in-law now, your daughter later. Definitely has the "awww" factor going on, that's for sure.

Tell your wife I was quite impressed with her handwriting! Sheesh! I couldn't write like that on my best day, and here she was under double pressure--writing in a book AND with a camera rolling!! That was amazing.

Nice family project, with your shooting/editing skills plus the obvious contributions of your wife and cute little daughter. Good job!
Old December 18th, 2005, 01:13 PM   #5
Regular Crew

I like the tone of the piece. It's touching without trying too hard. The shots of your daugther smiling would definitely warm up anyone's heart, especially in this cold season. It's a great idea and I agree that it's a great gift for your family.

Now, for some constructive (I hope) criticism: I do feel that the music was a bit overwhelming. Something more subtle might have worked better. And the voice-over felt a little flat. As for the camerawork, it is very good, but I think you should have had more close-ups of your wife's face as she writes down her thoughts.

Overall a very good entry and great use of the theme.
Jean-Francois Robichaud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 18th, 2005, 03:25 PM   #6
Major Player

constructive (I hope) criticism

Music... I think you're right... At times it real fast and even gets a bit loud. But I just didn't like much else.

Voice-over felt a little flat... So maybe have her put a bit more emotion in the voice? Or are you talking Audio mix?

More close-ups... Yep, you're right... forgot all about it...

Thanks
Old December 19th, 2005, 02:21 AM   #7
Major Player

You got me. Thought I could watch these then go back to sleep, but now I gotta go kiss my little 1 year old girl and tuck in my two boys. What a wonderful way to make a movie for DV4, but also have something special for the a "memory box." My wife has made a memory box for each of our children on their first birthday. It will be given to them on their sixteenth birthday. I wish I had done something as beautiful as this to put in the box!

Extremely professional looking Logo. Was that done with After Effects?

Craig, your wife said you had been very sick. I hope you are completely recovered. Many years ago, I had a bout with Gillian Barre', and it took me over a year to fully recover. A serioius illness does help put things into perspective.

You have a beautiful family, with a lovely wife and daughter. I hope this Christmas is a special one for the Bellaire family!
Dick Mays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 19th, 2005, 07:45 AM   #8
Major Player

thanks

LOGO... Nope I wish I knew After Effects that well... I made it using "ULEADs 3D Studio" in about 30 minutes. I burned it to a DVD and I forgot about the TV Safe area.. No big deal, just spend 15 minutes and redo it...

Anyway thanks for the feed back, looks like the competition is getting good with several of the videos...

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The Archives > The DV Challenge