Feedback for "Alone For the Holidays" at DVinfo.net

Go Back   DV Info Net > DV Info Net Community Contests > The DV Challenge

The DV Challenge
An organized theme-based competition where Content is King!


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old December 18th, 2005, 01:10 PM   #1
Inner Circle
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Port St. Lucie, Florida
Posts: 2,614
Feedback for "Alone For the Holidays"

Gee, I never had a feedback thread before! I will appreciate any and all comments. It is my first entry to actually get finished. I want to thank my dear friend Lorinda for helping me and keeping me focused.

Thanks for viewing.

Mike
__________________
Chapter one, line one. The BH.
Mike Teutsch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 18th, 2005, 01:31 PM   #2
Regular Crew
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Saskatoon, SK Canada
Posts: 71
For that motion controlled shot, did you just push the dolley? Or did you have it hooked up to a motor to pull it evenly? That was really cool.

Overall, the short was decent. I just thought that you over-used the dissolve, so that I think made it (for me any ways) less powerful then it could have been and lost my focus on the pain of the widowed husband.
__________________
Tyler Baptist
Tyler Baptist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 18th, 2005, 01:47 PM   #3
Inner Circle
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Port St. Lucie, Florida
Posts: 2,614
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyler Baptist
For that motion controlled shot, did you just push the dolley? Or did you have it hooked up to a motor to pull it evenly? That was really cool.

Overall, the short was decent. I just thought that you over-used the dissolve, so that I think made it (for me any ways) less powerful then it could have been and lost my focus on the pain of the widowed husband.
Thanks for your comments. Yes, I do over use the dissolve, and I am trying to work on it. I have to work much harder. Rookie!

As far as the dolly goes, try this link!

http://treasurecoastvideo.com/dolly%20film.wmv

I made the motor assembly to pull it from things I had around the house. Specifically a motor out of an old weed wacker, two coffee can lids, a piece of wood, a fishing line spool, and a rubber band. Hey, It worked great! I built the dolly a couple of weeks ago too.

Thanks----Mike
__________________
Chapter one, line one. The BH.
Mike Teutsch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 18th, 2005, 01:55 PM   #4
Regular Crew
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Montreal, Canada
Posts: 142
Good idea, story arc, and great shot composition. Like Tyler, I really think the dissolve is overused, in times where a straight cut would have been less noticeable. It really hurts the movie, but at least, it's something you can easily fix if you wanted to improve it. There seemed to be a weird sound distortion over the whole thing, like noise reduction pushed too far.

Amazing dolly rig, it's so smooth!
Jean-Francois Robichaud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 18th, 2005, 03:01 PM   #5
Trustee
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Hilliard, Ohio
Posts: 1,193
Weed whacker motor eh? Good idea. The triggers usually are variable speed for the motors so that helps get a speed you can work with substituting a variable resistor for the switch so you can set it and keep it set.

The tracking shot was very nice.

Sean McHenry
__________________
ĎI donít know what Iím doing, and Iím shooting on D.V.í
- my hero - David Lynch

http://www.DeepBlueEdit.com
Sean McHenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 18th, 2005, 03:18 PM   #6
Inner Circle
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Port St. Lucie, Florida
Posts: 2,614
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jean-Francois Robichaud
Good idea, story arc, and great shot composition. Like Tyler, I really think the dissolve is overused, in times where a straight cut would have been less noticeable. It really hurts the movie, but at least, it's something you can easily fix if you wanted to improve it. There seemed to be a weird sound distortion over the whole thing, like noise reduction pushed too far.

Amazing dolly rig, it's so smooth!

Thanks! I think the noise is my fish tank and all. My hearing is not that good anymore, and could not hear it until it was all done, and in post.

The funny thing is that for the dolly shot, I unplugged everything I could find, the refrigerator, fish tank and all. Then, after the shoot, I realized that I was not going to use any sound during the dolly shot at all. And, to top if off, I forgot to plug my refrigerator back in until the next day and almost lost all of my food! :)

Thanks again. Damn, wish I could recut real quick and take out the dissolves, too late. I hope that you enjoyed it otherwise.

Mike
__________________
Chapter one, line one. The BH.
Mike Teutsch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 18th, 2005, 03:25 PM   #7
Regular Crew
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Arkansas
Posts: 107
I actually liked the way the dissolves were used. For me, it enhanced the mood of the movie. It sorta portrays what we all feel when we lose a loved one, foggy, confused, dazed, etc. Maybe I'm in the minority, but the dissolves did not take anything away from the movie for me.

I believe that was a Rusty Wallace tee you had on? If so you are a man of good judgement :-)

Good job!
Sheila Ward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 18th, 2005, 03:39 PM   #8
Inner Circle
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Port St. Lucie, Florida
Posts: 2,614
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheila Ward
I actually liked the way the dissolves were used. For me, it enhanced the mood of the movie. It sorta portrays what we all feel when we lose a loved one, foggy, confused, dazed, etc. Maybe I'm in the minority, but the dissolves did not take anything away from the movie for me.

I believe that was a Rusty Wallace tee you had on? If so you are a man of good judgement :-)

Good job!
.

Sheila,

Some of the dissolves were meant to imply time passing, but did not work that well. I had a five day growth of beard for most of the shoot, but with the gray hair you can't even see it. I even experimented with adding some color, shoe polish, but that did not work either.

As for the t-shirt, "Rusty all the way!" Saw his last race a few weeks ago, and was sad and glad. Sorry to see him go, but wanted him to retire before getting hurt. I want to listen to him in the announcerís booth for years to come. No better guy for the job. So you know how old I am, I saw him a couple of times on a dirt track in Missouri in the late 70s. Damn I'm old! Now I will root for Carl Edwards, a gentleman!

Thanks for your kind comments.

Mike
__________________
Chapter one, line one. The BH.
Mike Teutsch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 18th, 2005, 03:52 PM   #9
Inner Circle
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Port St. Lucie, Florida
Posts: 2,614
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean McHenry
Weed whacker motor eh? Good idea. The triggers usually are variable speed for the motors so that helps get a speed you can work with substituting a variable resistor for the switch so you can set it and keep it set.

The tracking shot was very nice.

Sean McHenry
Speaking of shots, did you notice the shot of me walking into the bedroom to change? I did that by hanging a light off of the handle of the tripod head, and letting it float down to a soft stop, using available items! That 503 is very smooth.

Picture: http://treasurecoastvideo.com/light.JPG

Also, a still picture of the dolly mover from close, some have wanted more! Like I said, thrown together with parts from around the house.

http://treasurecoastvideo.com/dolly%20mover.JPG

Mike
__________________
Chapter one, line one. The BH.
Mike Teutsch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 18th, 2005, 03:53 PM   #10
Regular Crew
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Montreal, Canada
Posts: 142
Well I did enjoy your short movie a lot. Among the cream of the crop for DVC4 (at least so far). I really like your shot composition, and the image has nice colours. The dissolves aren't a HUGE deal, I just think it would have been a bit better with less of them.

I shot a scene at my place last week and forgot to turn the fridge back on too! If I shoot at someone else's place, I put my car keys inside the fridge: it's a little trick to remember to turn it back on! But when shooting at home, it doesn't work :(
Jean-Francois Robichaud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 18th, 2005, 04:05 PM   #11
Inner Circle
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Port St. Lucie, Florida
Posts: 2,614
Keys!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jean-Francois Robichaud
I shot a scene at my place last week and forgot to turn the fridge back on too! If I shoot at someone else's place, I put my car keys inside the fridge: it's a little trick to remember to turn it back on! But when shooting at home, it doesn't work :(
That is a good Idea! Another funny note, I forgot to turn the frig off for the rest of the shoot! Maybe I was afraid that I would forget it again. Way too much money invested in audio equipment, and I use the on camera mic!!!! I will learn by next time.

Thanks
__________________
Chapter one, line one. The BH.
Mike Teutsch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 18th, 2005, 09:53 PM   #12
Regular Crew
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Vancouver, BC
Posts: 196
I think every one has said what I would have, but congratulations this was well done. I liked it and was very interested the whole time. Your two previous entries weren't really stories but this one felt like your best to me. Good work.
Mitchell Stookey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 18th, 2005, 10:06 PM   #13
Wrangler
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Southwest Idaho, USA
Posts: 3,063
This is quite an accomplishment, Mike. Sure, your camera work (gotta love that dolly you built!) was effective and the lighting was good, but for an audience, what really stands out is the story and your acting. Most people donít know that you are, by nature, a light-hearted, upbeat guy. You had to find that character and pull him out just for this movie. I am so impressed.

Great job, my friend!!!
__________________
Lorinda
Lorinda Norton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 18th, 2005, 11:42 PM   #14
Regular Crew
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Saskatoon, SK Canada
Posts: 71
Sweet dolly rig, I must build one!
__________________
Tyler Baptist
Tyler Baptist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 19th, 2005, 12:37 AM   #15
Major Player
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Philippines
Posts: 253
Feedback

Honestly a very nice acting, in my opinion, but perhaps you could play more with the lighting. I particulary like the composition of the scene where you enter the house wearing a suit and you get reflected in that "small, portable" tv in the left :)
__________________
Lost signature, if you find it, please return it to me, thank you.
Mugurel Dragusin is offline   Reply
Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

Professional Video
(800) 833-4801
Portland, OR

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY

Z.G.C.
(973) 335-4460
Mountain Lakes, NJ

Abel Cine Tech
(888) 700-4416
N.Y. NY & L.A. CA

Precision Camera
(800) 677-1023
Austin, TX

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > DV Info Net Community Contests > The DV Challenge

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

 



Google
 

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 09:01 PM.


DV Info Net -- Real Names, Real People, Real Info!
1998-2017 The Digital Video Information Network