DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The Archives > The DV Challenge

The DV Challenge
An organized theme-based competition where Content is King!

Old December 19th, 2005, 02:52 PM   #1
Wrangler

The boys are back!!! Yes, Jeff & Mason made it out of the desert, and by request of a few DVC3 folks they’re back for another go-round. This movie seems like pretty light fare, especially when compared to many of the entries I’ve seen here so far. But it’s just hard for some of us to be very serious—particularly at Christmastime.

As a believer in the *Baby in the Manger,* I was asked why I didn’t do some present-day movie in that direction given the “spirit” theme. Simply put, I didn’t think I could pull it off! Shoot, trying to light the inside of a fake chimney (yeah, I cheated on the motivated lighting thing) had me stressed out enough.

Hopefully, though, this hapless duo struck a friendly chord in reminding us of an age-old truth.

Merry Christmas, everyone.
Old December 19th, 2005, 05:29 PM   #2
Major Player

Lorinda,

Are these the same two guys that were stuck in the desert? I liked that one, and I loved this one.

This one has my favorite dialog so far:

"We are idiots, Jeff, one of us anyway."

Followed by...

" You're not an idiot Jeff. Not a big idiot, like everybody thinks..."

I love the understated delivery. Serving it up with nothing on it!
Dick Mays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 19th, 2005, 05:30 PM   #3
Major Player

hilarious yet simple/sentimental
Riley Harmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 19th, 2005, 06:08 PM   #4
Regular Crew

I really liked this one, very simple and very funny. The dialogue was good and the lighting was awesome. Where did you film this?
Old December 19th, 2005, 06:23 PM   #5
Inner Circle

Thumbs up

Fun movie. Great tecnique. Good actors....
Chris Barcellos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 19th, 2005, 06:57 PM   #6
Wrangler

Yep, fellas...simple is my specialty! LOL! Thank you so much for the nice comments.

Tyler, I am thrilled that you liked the lighting, as that was my obvious concern. To answer your question, upstairs at the music store where I teach there's an unheated, uninsulated storage area where we built a three-sided "chimney" out of chipboard and 2x4s. Jeff wasn't kidding when he said something about it being cold in there. It's good, though, because of the 12 foot ceiling.

That reminds me; I still have to get my lighting gear out of there... :)
Old December 19th, 2005, 07:07 PM   #7
Skyonic New York

another hit for me... i really enjoyed this one and as everyone else commented the writing makes the difference...

one comment, i noticed the santa hats were clean but there faces were dirty, was that on purpose becouse of the low lighting or a production goof?
Robert Mann Z. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 19th, 2005, 08:07 PM   #8
Wrangler

Robert, I didn't give it a thought until I read your words just now. OOPS!!!! What floors me about that is the fact that I did notice (though too late) we didn't make their hands sooty, either.

"Now...they're just gonna think we're a [bunch] o' idiots..." :)

I'm so glad you take the time to look at these movies and comment. You already know how much I value your opinion. Thank you.
Old December 19th, 2005, 08:21 PM   #9
Regular Crew

This one is great. The dialog was the best ingredient for me, followed by the look (lighting and all). I thought the two guys were great, like in their previous adventure. And there is something to be said about simplicity.

I do feel the pacing is too slow. There seems to be too many beats in between lines, and the delivery itself is a bit on the slow side. Humor is a thing of rythm, and I think the lines would come out with more impact if it was tightened a bit.
Jean-Francois Robichaud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 19th, 2005, 08:31 PM   #10
Major Player

I like the pacing. But then, down here in Georgia, we miss things if it goes too fast.
Dick Mays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 19th, 2005, 09:29 PM   #11
Wrangler

LOL, Dick!!!! I was just about to say to Jean-Francois, "You don't get around many hicks, do ya?" :)

Actually, I agree that it did drag some, but this was a tough row to hoe. In earlier takes, the guys were too animated--didn't sound dejected/despondent enough. Besides that, I wanted to steer clear of it sounding like one of those typical sit-coms on TV. There was a sweet pace in there somewhere, but we didn't quite find it.

Jean-Francois, I really appreciate your comments. I'll pass them on to the guys!
Old December 19th, 2005, 09:41 PM   #12
Regular Crew

Lorinda I loved this one. It's so charming. The guys really win you over. My personal favorite line is "Ugh, what'd you have for dinner?" and instead of telling him to shut up or some kind of retort, he just honestly says "Pizza and candy bars." hahha I laughed so hard at that and it made the scene feel very real for me. I enjoyed your last entry alot, and again with this. By the way I also liked the set you built because I believed entirely I was watching two guys in a chimney and was curious about what you did. Awesome!
Mitchell Stookey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 19th, 2005, 10:03 PM   #13
Wrangler

Well...

Could be that the reason Jeff sounded so honest in his answer is that, um, that's what I did feed them for dinner! :)

Thank you so much, Mitchell. You and I have to keep our streaks going, so I will see you in DVC5!!!!
Old December 19th, 2005, 10:08 PM   #14
Regular Crew

Yea I know, we missed Jon Jones in this one! I wouldn't miss DVC5 for anything.
Mitchell Stookey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 19th, 2005, 10:37 PM   #15
Regular Crew

I must say that the composition was great in simulating the claustrophobic situation. I really love that moving shot in the beginning.
Jean-Francois Robichaud is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The Archives > The DV Challenge