How's the progress? - Page 14 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The Archives > The DV Challenge
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

The DV Challenge
An organized theme-based competition where Content is King!

Old April 6th, 2006, 11:49 PM   #196
Trustee

Not quite done but, I had one of those lightening bolt thingys hit my square on the bean earlier today and shot a few bits as soon as I walked in the front door tonight. Been editing last nights late night drive through town to fulfil that part of the criteria. Shot some things dealing with reflections and am doing what is going to amount to an "art" piece. I had a rather sobering event or two this week in my personal life and that's always good for a few days of not thinking at all in an effort to escape the situation for a while. On the other hand, once you talk yourself out of that mental slump, you sometimes come up with some interesting ideas.

When the thread on this piece comes out, I will be interested in seeing how many different interpretations for it come out of the discussions. It's not like anything I have seen anyone do in the DVChallenge before. I think it will challenge the viewers, and the judges a bit.

As I myself am looking at it as a learning "art" and "interpretive"piece, I will not be hoping to win but I am hoping to be able to transfer some meaning and emotion with the piece.

I have said before that I want to be able to create totally emotionally motivated scenes. I am not really interested in telling a 3 act screen play. I want to show something very personal and deeply emotional. Something simple enough to grasp but hard hitting. That's the goal, and I'm a long way from shore, but I am swinning.

See you all in the funny papers,

Sean McHenry

http://www.DeepBlueEdit.com
Sean McHenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 7th, 2006, 01:21 AM   #197
Wrangler

blurgh. finished editing at 1:20 am thursday night. compressing and uploading can wait until morning....
Meryem Ersoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 7th, 2006, 04:32 PM   #198
Inner Circle

I posted my link to Dylan

Emailed my links to Dylan a half hour ago.

Well, if I could get the "talent" back tonight, I think I'd shoot the whole main scene again. As it was, I had to cut and paste sections of the scene from the various takes, and really didn't have a way to cut away. I always wondered why there is all the fuss about it, but next time, I'll get a plethora of valuable "B" roll stuff, to make cutaways. That is what this is all about-- learning some things.....
Old April 7th, 2006, 08:44 PM   #199
Major Player

24 hours to spare

It's not the best work I've ever done, but it's not the worst either and as someone said to me in an interview yesterday, done is beautiful.

Good luck everyone.
Kris Holodak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 8th, 2006, 12:04 AM   #200
Regular Crew

A batch of exams between me and my friends during this month killed any progress....... won't happen again... as long as there's another this summer or the beginning of next semester before we have to start studying.
Old April 8th, 2006, 04:25 AM   #201
Major Player

Done! It turned out better than I thought it would.
Old April 8th, 2006, 01:43 PM   #202
Regular Crew

My piece is online now. Duration 2 minutes. No story, little sense ;-) I'm looking forward to the other entries!
Volker Krieger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 8th, 2006, 05:56 PM   #203
Major Player

I too am finished. I almost gave up a few times. Good luck to all.
Richard Zlamany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 8th, 2006, 08:59 PM   #204
New Boot

I'm not entered, I was too late, but I did one anyway.

I'm looking forward to seeing the others.
Steve Sturdevant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 8th, 2006, 09:21 PM   #205
Trustee

tick, tick, tick

OK, it's 11:14pm according to my electronic Mickey device and I am still waiting on the effect rendering of the semi final version. I suppose shuffeling the clips in the timeline didn't help but ya gotta do what ya gotta do.

So once that pass is done, I'm guessing about 11:50pm that will be done. That leaves about 1 minute to add the music credit and export it as a QT Ref file to Sorenson, hopefully spitting out a Windows media file in about 2 minutes with a minute to get it on the web site and send the link which should leavee me about 60 seconds to play with.

That's what happens when you don't have an idea until 2 days before I suppose.

Should be on just in time.

Sean McHenry

Sean McHenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 8th, 2006, 09:25 PM   #206
Major Player

Not to encourage procrastination, but isn't Dylan west coast? I always assumed his watch was the official one, which buys you a few hours.
Kris Holodak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 8th, 2006, 09:38 PM   #207
Regular Crew

Yes, it did say midnight PST.

Luckily, I finished on Thursday :P
Joe Winchester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 8th, 2006, 09:54 PM   #208
Major Player

Yeah Sean- You still have time. It's 12PST so you can do it!
Bradley L Marlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 8th, 2006, 10:44 PM   #209
Regular Crew

Just in Time

Written on bar napkins Thursday night. Started filiming about 11:00 am today (saturday) and just now rendering (its 11:44). We will just finish. Better late than never.
Bruce Broussard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 8th, 2006, 11:26 PM   #210
Trustee

DOH! yes that is right. Good. I think I can redo the encode better. I like it. I am going to be very curious as to what you all think. Thing is, it's dreamlike and as such, the imagery is all special to me. I get a creepy vibe from it myself and yet it's all stuff that's in me. I wonder what David Lynch dreams of? Severed ears, nitrous sniffing goons, creepy tiny people coming under his door at night?

So, I will drop one credit and re-encode. It is up and posted however. Love to share it with you all but that's a no-no for now. I may send the link to a few friends on the list for advanced, non-competition related critique.

One of my favorite quotes: never put off till tomorrow what you can put off today.

See you all at 3am.

Sean

Sean McHenry is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The Archives > The DV Challenge