DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   The DV Challenge (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/dv-challenge/)
-   -   To Our Fearless Leader (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/dv-challenge/63046-our-fearless-leader.html)

Lorinda Norton March 17th, 2006 12:38 AM

To Our Fearless Leader

Dylan,

So you’re leaving for Africa on Monday? I’d tell you to behave, but that just wouldn’t be fair. So, how’s this:

Have a great time, shoot well, and come back home to us safe and sound. We need you!

You'll be missed, dear one. But you'll check in on us once in a while? :)

Dylan Couper March 17th, 2006 09:03 AM

Thanks Lorinda! :)

Yup, I leave Monday. I'll be spending the weekend packing and learning the new gear. Just picked up a Sennheiser G2 wireless system from our sponsor www.dvestore.com so I've got to learn that, and finish familliarizing myself with the HVX200. The last week has been crazy, from working on shotlists, to getting a bunch of immunizations from cholera to anti-Rhino medication. Hopefully though, the weekend should be less stressed. Hah. :)

While I'm away, I'll leave it up to Rob Lohman and the DVC veterans to answer any questions people might have. If in doubt, play it by ear. I don't know if or how often I'll be checking in, but I should have some email capabilities. Note to contestants, please post questions here rather than emailing me! That way everybody learns and they get answered faster.

Brian McKay March 17th, 2006 09:11 AM

Good Morning Dylan:

Have a good time be safe and enjoy. Gather lots of memories so in future years you can "Reflect" on the whole experience.

Brian

K. Forman March 17th, 2006 09:39 AM

Hey! Dylaaaaaaaan! Where are you going in Africa? What are you going to be shooting? Maybe get a shot for me while you are there? Huh huh?

Edward Slonaker March 17th, 2006 09:42 AM

Have a safe trip, there and back, Dylan!! Get LOTS of footage (you can never have too much). And most of all....

HAVE FUN!!!

Greg Boston March 17th, 2006 09:49 AM

Now Dylan, I know you like to nip at the bottle a bit so just remember one thing. That rhino is a lot tougher than he looks. Don't try to wrestle him.

Seriously....have fun and enjoy the experience. I hope the HVX will reward you with some priceless memories on P2.

-gb-

Mike Teutsch March 17th, 2006 10:12 AM

Don't drink the water!

Dylan,

Whiskey=yes Bourbon=yes Beer=yes

Water=NO!

Enjoy!

Mike

Pete Bauer March 17th, 2006 12:34 PM

Dylan,

The CDC has a great resource called "The Yellow Book" that is essential reading for anyone going to a new part of the globe:

http://www.cdc.gov/travel/yb/index.htm

Have used it for years as a paper volume, then an online PDF. But now that they've updated it to be an interactive website to give you custom information about your travel needs, it ROCKS.

We really don't want misfortune to befall you...who else can we pick on so mercilessly if you don't come back!!!

K. Forman March 17th, 2006 12:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pete Bauer
Dylan,

The CDC has a great resource called "The Yellow Book" that is essential reading for anyone going to a new part of the globe:

http://www.cdc.gov/travel/yb/index.htm

Have used it for years as a paper volume, then an online PDF. But now that they've updated it to be an interactive website to give you custom information about your travel needs, it ROCKS.

We really don't want misfortune to befall you...who else can we pick on so mercilessly if you don't come back!!!

I would vote on taking the paper version... if you get dysentary, at least the paper will come in handy ;)

Bradley L Marlow March 17th, 2006 12:55 PM

Hey Dylan,

Have a wonderful time! I'll bet there will be some incredible sights and sounds in Africa. May your visit be both fruitful and inspiring!

Best wishes~
Bradley

lol Keith...good point!

Rob Lohman March 18th, 2006 06:48 AM

As Dylan pointed out, I'll be helping everyone out on DVC while Dylan is away. If you need to contact me private send an e-mail to the address in my signature below.

Now go make a great movie!

Dylan Couper March 19th, 2006 09:57 AM

I'll be checking back once before I leave tomorrow, but with so much more packing and prep to do, I'm officially handing the keys over to Rob now.

Cheers and good luck to everyone!

Dylan

Sean McHenry March 27th, 2006 03:12 PM

Reminds me of an old Grouch joke -

I once shot an Elephant in my pajamas. How he got in my pajamas I'll never know.

Here's hoping Dylan finds an elephant in his pajamas. Oh my. That didn't come out right did it?

Sean McHenry

Mike Teutsch March 27th, 2006 06:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sean McHenry
Reminds me of an old Grouch joke -

I once shot an Elephant in my pajamas. How he got in my pajamas I'll never know.

Here's hoping Dylan finds an elephant in his pajamas. Oh my. That didn't come out right did it?

Sean McHenry

Thought you were talking about me for a minute, but it is Groucho not Grouch! I haven't shot a frame yet!

Mike

Sean McHenry March 28th, 2006 09:06 AM

Yeah, I'm great at typos. Bandaid on the finger isn't helping either.

See ya at the finish line.

Sean