Dvc 6 - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The Archives > The DV Challenge
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

The DV Challenge
An organized theme-based competition where Content is King!

Old July 10th, 2006, 10:04 PM   #16
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey Taylor
Should we be hearing anything about the next film contest tonight? If so, will it be in this thread?

Basically this is how it goes. I'm only relaying it as I was new last time and the anxiety was a bit much, mostly because I didn't know how it all went.

a new DVC is announced and a signup thread is posted. You have a period of time to sign up, don't feel like you have to catch it the same day it's posted, you have a week or so or more. The date that it will start is given, prizes and sponsors are announced, that's it.

During this waiting time, find everyone you can that is available to help out. Make sure all of your gear is working and laid out. Buy bulbs, tapes, whatever. It's also a good time to make things that you think will help you out on the shoot like dolly's, practicing with that steadicam thing that you could never get to work right, That funky headphone jack that crackles when moved, buying that shotgun mic you've had your eye on for the past 6 months. basically get everything ready to go. if this is too much for you, visit the sponsors and buy the stuff from them. As the date gets closer, line up your actors, sound person, anyone who has agreed to help out and get them all on the same page as to who is going to do what.

Ok, now get your camera out again and shoot some stuff and play around with the footage, it's a long wait until DVC day.

On the day of doom, Dylan announces the rules of engagement. This is the go day, The day you've been waiting for. Now you have to figure out what it is your story is going to be about under the rules of engagement, but you're too freaked out because you only have so many days to get it all done. Your mind goes blank, you stare at the computer hoping that someone will post something to get those neurons firing so you can start your machine that you've had waiting in the wings. day 2, day 3, day 4, why is everyone so calm??? they must be pros... days are clicking away and still no idea what you are going to do. Oh no, I have to start shooting something... hold off, don't pull the trigger yet. solidify your story.(mistake I made on my first go around).

Ok, now you know what you want to do. Fire up the machine and rev up those motors. Pull the trigger.

Oh no, 2 days left until I have to post the final... I'm still shooting, re-writing, editing, my girlfriend hates me, my dog hates me. The actors are rebelling now, they start throwing out ideas and grand schemes to make your movie better. Don't listen, stay on coarse.

Ok, it's as done as it can be. Now how am I going to take my work of art and shrink it down to a small movie??? Oh no, it looks like hell, everyone is going to think i'm a hack. My beautiful work can't be seen on a 320X240 window. Why can't everyone see it in all it's glory??? that scene sucks, I want to reshoot it... I don't have time, 6 hours left until the deadline... how come the link isn't working???? Should I put in on youtube??? black background, white background??? Ok it's up... it's working... still looks like hell...

you email Dylan with the link, you check it 25 times to make sure it works. You have everyone you know check it to make sure it works. 2 hours left... maybe I can fix that scene that I hate??? no, no time. must get sleep.

Week one passes, week two passes. When is he going to post the movies??? I think i'm having a heart attack. First thing every morning... must check to see if the movies are up... refresh... refresh... damn nothing. "No, nothing is up yet, I don't know when, how should I know, I'll check again".

Oh my God, first batch of films are up... yeah.... mines better than that one.... weeee I'm going to win.... Those prizes are mine baby... oh no, that ones pretty good... Damn I knew I should have redone that scene. I still might have a chance... be calm. Next batch are up... I rule, Spielberg look out. Next batch... I suck... I don't deserve to shoot video. Next batch... maybe no one watched these or the last ones. I still might have a chance. Oh no, mines up in this batch... let me start a thread... "Hello, vote for me, thanks".

Ok, I've seen all of the movies 25 times... I have no idea. How many bathroom scenes can there be??? I knew I shouldn't have had a bathroom scene.

Ok, now it's time to vote. That one is great, that one is Ok, that one is better than mine, mine is better than that one, these 4 are really good, oh I dont' known. enie minie, I can't decide.

week one passes... I feel my heart attack come on again... Breathe... when is he going to post the results??? refresh... refresh... "I think we are in the top 5. Maybe, I don't know, I was nice, I didn't have time... I know you said that wasn't you favorite scene...hold on, i'm checking again, nothing. You were good in that scene... don't worry, no one noticed that booger. I'll let you know". week two passes... I can't look, I lost... I know I lost... not only did I loose but everyone is laughing at me. but I had good feedback.... let me read it again... I have a chance, I think. nope...I suck.

Bacially this is how it goes.
Michael Fossenkemper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 10th, 2006, 10:21 PM   #17
Wrangler

Don't listen to him, Joey!!! ;)

Sheesh, Michael, I've been doing these for what seems like forever and after reading your post I'm half scared to sign up! LOL!

Not to make things worse, but what will you do if Dylan goes back to the one-week challenge? Hee hee.... ;)
Old July 10th, 2006, 10:31 PM   #18
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorinda Norton
but what will you do if Dylan goes back to the one-week challenge?
May God be with us.
No but seriously, hopefully it'll be longer!
Joey Taylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 10th, 2006, 10:47 PM   #19
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorinda Norton
Sheesh, Michael, I've been doing these for what seems like forever and after reading your post I'm half scared to sign up! LOL!

Not to make things worse, but what will you do if Dylan goes back to the one-week challenge? Hee hee.... ;)

Kill him....
Michael Fossenkemper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 10th, 2006, 10:49 PM   #20
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Fossenkemper
Kill him....
LOL!!!!! Okay, Michael, that's the loudest I've laughed at my computer screen in a long, long time. That is LAST response I would have expected.

(Forgive me, Dylan...you know I love ya!) <--do I look like a suck-up? :)
Old July 11th, 2006, 11:00 AM   #21
Major Player

This poses an interesting question though. Are the DV challenges something to get you off your tushie and do something or is it so you can make something you're proud of?

'lil of both?
Dennis Khaye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 11th, 2006, 12:40 PM   #22
Inner Circle

If I have time, I hope to join this one. Dylan and Rob sort of shamed me at NAB. It depends on how work is going during August, lots of stuff up in the air career wise.

Some day I'll have to tell my embarrasing NAB story about Lorinda, that would be a great short subject if I don't get killed first.
Old July 11th, 2006, 01:51 PM   #23
Wrangler

Dennis, the answer to your question is "a LOT of both!" You'd never know it, but I enter these challenges with the idea that I'm going to do my absolute best--work on old skills, build new ones, make something of which I can be proud. I ALWAYS fall well short of my goal, but that's okay. The main thing is, we do get off our butts, and we try to tell the best story we can tell. Pretty simple, really. How about those brave souls who enter these 48 hour contests around the country? Their finished works are oftentimes unbelievably good. We're really spoiled here.

Good heavens, Joe; what did I forget? I remember sending a glass full of ice flying off that low table...wait, you weren't there that night! Darn, now you've got me really curious...

Last edited by Lorinda Norton; July 11th, 2006 at 02:28 PM.
Lorinda Norton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 11th, 2006, 02:43 PM   #24
Inner Circle

Lorinda, I don't think you know it actually happened. It's embarrasing for me, and hopefully funny. Someday...hehehe.
Old July 11th, 2006, 02:59 PM   #25
Regular Crew

Hmmm, I'm anxious to find out WHEN the new DVC will be announced, and what the topic will be.
Old July 11th, 2006, 03:35 PM   #26
Trustee

Wow. I don't know if I feel refreshed or if I should go hide in the closet? We all had at least half of that rather disturbing post happen to us. Some folks here have been in this since the begining. I don't know how they live like that.

I actually like the 1 week time limit. Why - you ask loudly? (stop shouting) Well, I only have to be that stressed for 1 week, that's why. Man, that last one almost killed a few of us off. Then again, maybe that's just what they were planning all along...

The field of competition has been growing at an alarming rate. The first DV Challenge had about 9 entrants as I recall. The last one had nearly 30 I think. At this rate, by the end of 2010, we will need several official judges on each continent to pre screen the several hundred entries. I'm good with that but we are going to have to wait longer and longer each time for the results. Imagine hitting refresh multiple times per hour, for a month. Yikes.

So, my advice is still, NEVER be afraid to jump in with both feet. Good things are happening to quite a few of us who have been in these. Even if we are just sharpening our lighting skills or our ability to intelligably write a real sentance of dialog. It been great for me.

Looking forward to the cold sweats at 2am after compressing my baby into a 320x240 windows media file for 4 hours. No, really.

See you all when it happens,

Sean

http://www.DeepBlueEdit.com
Sean McHenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 11th, 2006, 05:49 PM   #27
Regular Crew

Quote:
So, my advice is still, NEVER be afraid to jump in with both feet. Good things are happening to quite a few of us who have been in these. Even if we are just sharpening our lighting skills or our ability to intelligably write a real sentance of dialog. It been great for me.
Sean
I agree. DVC5 was my first competition. I am just a novice at all of this. And the good-natured culture of this competition seemed to be the perfect place to learn. Although my entry had flaws, I was very happy with it and the feedback I received. If you are hesitating, I say jump in. The water is great.

The only time that DVC5 was not fun for me was the four days I was struggling to put an idea together.
Scott Cozad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 11th, 2006, 06:46 PM   #28
Inner Circle

This DV Challange really saved me! I was reading, aquiring and getting no where.

Missed #1 by just a few days, had a great idea for it, but I did not see it in time. Entered #2 and it started me going. It is a great way to learn and for some, "me", the only way to get motivated. I have learned more participating in these Challenges than any other way. Much thanks to Dylan and the others who help out.

I look forward to the next one, and hope that I will get off of my oversized ass and get an entry in. I actually think the shorter time period is better. Although I thought the last one was cool because we had more time, it kept me going back and forth on options, until I did nothing! One week, or one month, but anything in between is too confussing for me!

I hope that I can come up with one this time.

Mike
Old July 11th, 2006, 08:27 PM   #29
Regular Crew

This will be my first one. I just bought a 35mm adapter so I'm really looking forward to filming this upcoming short. Obviously I don't know what it will be yet, but this will help get my creative juice flowing.

I'm ready for an announcement anytime Dylan!
Old July 11th, 2006, 08:48 PM   #30
Trustee

My Two Cents Worth

The feeling I get with these challenges is that we should not get so bent out of shape that we lose sleep. It's all about the spirit of filmmaking fun. With a one week time limit, I imagine us in "run and gun" mode, laughing hysterically along the way not unlike the Beatles during the making of "A Hard Day's Night." Check out the production stills from that movie and you will see that the DP used those little handheld cameras with little or no attachments. Who has time for matte boxes and sophisticated lighting setups within one week that requires not only shooting but editing, writing and posting? Grab your camera, get your talent together and make your movie. Sure, if we had a month to make our movie then it makes alot of sense to slap on the mini 35 adapter and go high tech. But when time is of the essence, who wants to be fiddling with back focus? I believe Dylan imagined that his challenge had all along been designed with the creation of alot utilizing a little.

Improvise. Adapt. Overcome.

First and foremost: Have fun making your DV Challenge movie. When you lose sleep or await the droplets of blood to form on your forehead, what's the use? I can get that at work!

Last edited by Hugh DiMauro; July 12th, 2006 at 06:38 AM.
Hugh DiMauro is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The Archives > The DV Challenge