DVC6 Official question thread. - Page 3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The Archives > The DV Challenge
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

The DV Challenge
An organized theme-based competition where Content is King!

Old August 10th, 2006, 08:32 AM   #31
Trustee

Official end time? I lost track of when this one needs posted to the web. I know I saw it someplace but this is the official question thread. Something like 3am Sunday my time (Ohio) as I recall.

Sean

http://www.DeepBlueEdit.com
Sean McHenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 10th, 2006, 08:39 AM   #32
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean McHenry
Official end time? Something like 3am Sunday my time (Ohio) as I recall.

Sean
Sean, according to Dylan, we "have until next Sunday night", as "the contest closes, SUNDAY -MIDNIGHT PST- AUGUST 13th". Humm, I guess I can pull an all-nighter and send it by Monday 8am Portuguese (that is, GMT) time.

Fun fun, less hours to sleep...

Hugo
Hugo Pinto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 10th, 2006, 09:17 AM   #33
Trustee

I'll take that as 3am Monday morning thenuntil I hear different. Cool.

It will take a while to fake the destruction of the entire planet...

Sean

http://www.DeepBlueEdit.com
Sean McHenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 10th, 2006, 01:43 PM   #34
Major Player

If I could get a little clarification on a rule that I'm sure I should understand by now, are we allowed to show the film to those involved in its creation before it's actually been posted to the entrants thread? I just got off the phone with Robin Whitmore at UCO/Lick Observatory about permission to use one of their images in my movie; then there's the gentleman who's providing music for the film. Everyone's been so friendly and helpful so far that I'd feel kind of bad about making them wait to see their own material on screen.

Are they exceptions to the rule, or will they join the rest of the internet in anxiously awaiting my next masterpiece?
Robert Martens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 10th, 2006, 01:48 PM   #35
RED Code Chef

It should not publically be visible before the challenge publishes the links.
Obviously people in your team can see it as long as you don't put it up
somewhere for the world to see (so give them a DVD or something?).

Disclaimer: I would wait for the final word on this from Dylan before proceeding...

Rob Lohman, visuar@iname.com
DV Info Wrangler & RED Code Chef

Join the DV Challenge | Lady X

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Buy from the best: DVinfo.net sponsors
Rob Lohman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 10th, 2006, 02:10 PM   #36
Major Player

Yeah, that makes sense. I'm fine with keeping it a secret until the thread goes up, I just thought I should ask, if only to know; that way when someone asks me, in the future, when they can see a film they've helped with, I have an answer for them.

Nothing to worry about, really, as I haven't shot a single field of video to date. Looks like I'll gain a true appreciation of the phrase "crunch time" in the next day or two.
Old August 11th, 2006, 04:21 AM   #37
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Lohman
It should not publically be visible before the challenge publishes the links.
Obviously people in your team can see it as long as you don't put it up
somewhere for the world to see (so give them a DVD or something?).

Disclaimer: I would wait for the final word on this from Dylan before proceeding...
You got it Rob!

You can show it to all your buddies, just no public displaying on the internet until after we display the URL here.
Old August 13th, 2006, 12:17 AM   #38
Inner Circle

Dylan:

So I sent my links using the email system on DVInfo.net for you. I can't recall if that is correct or not. How do I know if you got it ?

Edit: Alright, I found the first thread, and discovered it goes via DVChallege email account. I sent again.
Old August 13th, 2006, 12:33 AM   #39
Regular Crew

I used what email was provided on thedvchallenge.com. thedvchallenge@hotmail.com

If there was any other way to submit. I don't know about it.
John Brickner Jr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 13th, 2006, 04:16 AM   #40
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean McHenry
I'll take that as 3am Monday morning thenuntil I hear different. Cool.

It will take a while to fake the destruction of the entire planet...

Sean
Isn't "SUNDAY -MIDNIGHT PST- AUGUST 13th" equal to 3:00 a.m. SUNDAY EST?? The deadline (from what I've seen) has been midnight Sunday which means you had until 11:59:59 Saturday night to post your entry.

There seems to be a bit of confusion as to what defines "midnight Sunday" on these challenges.
www.elpilon.com
Edward Slonaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 13th, 2006, 07:08 AM   #41
Wrangler

See #4:
http://www.thedvchallenge.com/rules.shtml
Pete Bauer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 13th, 2006, 07:50 AM   #42
Major Player

I've read the rule, hence the confusion. You're posting a deadline but accepting entries up to 30 hours past it.

I realize I may lose favor with the voting cast by saying this (not that I had a snowball's chance anyway because you've got some extremely talented folks on here), but if you're going to post rules and not stick to them, then it's really not fair to those who have been abiding by them from the beginning.

I'm not trying to be adversarial about this, just want some clarity so I can decide if I really have to bust it to get done by 11:59 Saturday night or if I do indeed have an additional day to get it done.
www.elpilon.com
Old August 13th, 2006, 08:04 AM   #43
Major Player

You haven't lost favor in my eyes, Edward, I understand where you're coming from. While I can't speak for Dylan, I believe I know the answer:

"When the theme is announced on a Thursday morning, the deadline is midnight, Pacific Standard Time, the following Sunday (10 days later) night. Sometimes we go to bed early, which makes us slightly flexible on the deadline but if it isn’t there when we check email Monday morning, you are definitely out."

There are only two twelve o'clocks that occur each day; one in the early, early morning, and one that signifies noon. To be technical, neither is really "night". And though some people refer to those wee hours as such, they are usually lumping them in with the previous day, not the one that's just starting. "Man, I was up late last night, I didn't get to bed until three AM!" No, three AM was not technically part of that person's "night", but that's how people speak.

I suppose all that's a little insulting to one's intelligence, and I apologize for that, but my point is that all of this leads me to believe that Dylan is using the unofficial, colloquial version of "midnight Sunday" that most people use, and not the technical, correct-though-often-unused version.
Old August 13th, 2006, 08:20 AM   #44
Major Player

Thanks, Robert. Your answer makes perfect sense. I guess I've been working for DoD so long I take time too literally. Nice to know I can still "tweak" today if I want/need to. Appreciate your response.
www.elpilon.com
Old August 13th, 2006, 04:24 PM   #45
Major Player

Busted Quicktime

Well, I've exhausted two hours trying to figure out why my Quicktime no longer plays any audio files. Unfortunately I have run out of time to play with QT Pro. I am force to submit only a WIndows File.

Still, considering I didn't start shooting until yesterday morning, I'm calling it a success!

Good luck to everyone.
Dick Mays is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The Archives > The DV Challenge