Dropping out at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The Archives > The DV Challenge
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

The DV Challenge
An organized theme-based competition where Content is King!

Old August 8th, 2006, 09:39 PM   #1
Trustee

Dropping out

I've had five wonder days of good shooting and compositing, until tonight. Sadly, my tripod was not secure enough and it let go. The HC1 hit the floor hard, requiring repairs, (and no I don't expect a miracle with the Sony consumer division). I still require more shooting, including capture from todays tape. Alas, I have to give in and I'm hard pressed to spend funds for a non-paying gig.

It was fun. Maybe next time.
Old August 8th, 2006, 09:47 PM   #2
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Ferling
Sadly, my tripod was not secure enough and it let go. The HC1 hit the floor hard, requiring repairs, (and no I don't expect a miracle with the Sony consumer division).
I'm sorry to hear that! It sounds like it took a good fall there...
So are you going to be able to repair it? Please let me know!

Gabriel.
Gabriel Yeager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 8th, 2006, 10:09 PM   #3
Trustee

Check to be sure the HC1 is considered BY SONY to be "consumer". If it is, sorry. That has to hurt. If it's not consumer your luck is a bit better. Sony Professional is quite a bit better on repairs. One of the reason I went with the time tested PDX-10 a year or more ago. It's considered the low end of the pro line.

I had a cat drop a beautiful mint condition Olympus OM-4 black body 35mm camera once. Nudged it right off the table long lens and all. The lens survived but not so the magnesium body. I hated that cat for years but still cried when I had her put down (years later due to illness, not because of the camera thing).

Sean

http://www.DeepBlueEdit.com
Sean McHenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 9th, 2006, 05:16 AM   #4
Regular Crew

cheap Sony cameras eh! can't handle the floor! hehe

5 days of shooting?!?! sound epic for a short film to me (especially for the DVC's)

Don't give up just edit what you got captured and if you been shooting in order then just slap a "To Be Continued..." on the end.

Improve your editing skills by editing with only what ya got.
Phillip Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 9th, 2006, 06:54 AM   #5
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phillip Jackson
cheap Sony cameras eh! can't handle the floor! hehe

5 days of shooting?!?! sound epic for a short film to me (especially for the DVC's)

Don't give up just edit what you got captured and if you been shooting in order then just slap a "To Be Continued..." on the end.

Improve your editing skills by editing with only what ya got.
My whole life is an unfinished edit, with me improving what I have. Sorry, but I have to step down. I may finish the piece itself when the camera returns, as I'd rather release a completed piece, (Maybe I'll have time to refine it then). However, only half the dialog exists and for the sake of the contest, it won't work. Kinda like a joke without the punch-line.

Sean, sorry to hear about your Cat. Pet's are family. It's no fun taking the last ride to the vet. My daughter had a bird that nearly lost it's leg. I paid a vet 3x the cost of replacing the bird to fix the leg. Some folks thought I was crazy, until I asked them to tell it to my daughter. It managed a full recovery and live another three-years to the ripe age of 15.

the HC1 is a prosumer cam. I knew that would be the case before I bought it. Because they are no longer available; and I don't want an HC3, I have little choice but to endure a long wait, (I'm glad I bought the extra warranty).

The lens and sensors are good, I can capture HDV directly to PC, but the tape release mech, door, and mounting plate are a mess. I can't even mount it correctly and go direct to a labtop. A shame. Today there is zero humidity and low 70's, the skys are abosolutely clear. I was planning on replacing one of my scenes for a cleaner plate for matching moving. Shooting distant objects when you have factors like haze and rising heat waves mucking the shot makes it's very hard to track pixels.

This took the wind the right out of my sails. When I get the camera back, I'll see about finishing the piece for the sake of getting the job done.
Old August 9th, 2006, 07:02 AM   #6
Capt. Quirk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Ferling
Sean, sorry to hear about your Cat. Pet's are family. It's no fun taking the last ride to the vet. My daughter had a bird that nearly lost it's leg. I paid a vet 3x the cost of replacing the bird to fix the leg. Some folks thought I was crazy, until I asked them to tell it to my daughter. It managed a full recovery and live another three-years to the ripe age of 15.
I bought my son a $20 lizard that developed a tumor. We took it to the vet and spent $200 to get the tumor removed, as well as a leg that developed a tumor. A few months later, and I had to put it down because the tumor came back. I couldn't put it through that again, even if I could afford to.
Old August 9th, 2006, 07:10 AM   #7
Major Player

really sorry to hear about the camera. I've almost had that happen about 20 times. Headphones still on my head and I walkaway from the camera and the whole rig follows me. Hopefully you'll get it back all fixed up and ready for shooting.
Michael Fossenkemper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 9th, 2006, 10:36 PM   #8
Trustee

Hey Keith, I understand. It's hard when your little ones have to go through that, it's like watching their whole little world fall apart. All you could think about is the first day when they got their pet.

Michael, according to Best Buy, I'll get it back around the 21st. So, doesn't look good. I'm definitely going to finish it when I get the camera back. I can't let this go to waste. To be fair, I'm going to give myself a five-day time limit to finish. It's only fair, as I'm challenging myself to see what can be done in a weeks time.
Old August 9th, 2006, 11:13 PM   #9
Major Player

Well be sure to post the final when you get it done. It's such a shame to get so far and then have something like this happen. I know it's not life threatening but still hurts for some reason. Heck, I feel a tear well up when I have a geat shot and I see a drop out on the tape,
and I don't even do this for a living.

(I've got some free time cause i'm rendering video, so I'm posting. I'm doing my whole DVC on my laptop. when I bought it, it seemed like I was on top of the world as far as speed, but with video it seems I'm at the bottom of the pond sucking algae.)
Michael Fossenkemper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 14th, 2006, 10:07 AM   #10
Trustee

I changed my mind and submitted 'something'. I know myself all too well, put it on the back burner and I'll get busy doing something else. I wasn't thinking about this as a 'job'. Not good for reputation.

So at least we can end this thread on a positive note, and look forward to DVC#7.

(Besides, I have about three more of these to do as meeting openers for my day job... Arrrrrrrgh!)
Old August 15th, 2006, 09:37 PM   #11
Trustee

My main dual monitor PC with the cool USB M-Audio I/O box and mixer and Behringer 2031A Truths is WAY slower than my laptop now. The PC is an AMD based Shuttle mini case stuffed with 2GB RAM, 160GB media drive and 80GB OS drive but it's only a 2700 XP+ AMD chip. The Laptop is an AMD 64bit 3.4GHz machine with 100GB HD. It renders SOOOO much faster.

Sad thing is now that I have all that great sound gear and nice dual monitors hooked to the older machine, I do almost all my editing on the laptop now. I still use it for audio and graphics as well as DVD authoring so It's not a total waste but man laptops can really sing these days.

Sean

http://www.DeepBlueEdit.com
Sean McHenry is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The Archives > The DV Challenge